Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card altering

i just purchased 2 cards from ebay. now that i have the cards in my possession it is apparent the corners have been "pressed". as i go back and look at the auction scan, i can tell that the top right and bottom left corners are done this way. looks like someone took something a just pressed both corners leaving an indention on the card itself. what do you think?

i've emailed the seller to ask about the return policy. have any of you heard of this?

i'll generate a hi-res scan tonite and post.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

They aren't doing it correctly.

When done properly, corner pressing shouldn't leave indentions. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i've had very bad luck on ebay with raw cards my last few buys. i've returned 2 for trimming, got caught up in the "cardcatt" fiasco, and then i get this. so far the sellers have been good about refunding my money.

one guy said he would refund if i left him positive feedback. the others have been "no questions asked".

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic, I recently purchased some '30's boxing cards that had been stored in an album. There is no tearing or paper loss, but there are indentations on some of the corners from being in the album. What will this do the the grade in otherwise NM cards. Since it's not a crease or a wrinkle we're talking about, is a 6 a possibility?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    here is a better scan. i couldn't do much with a 50kb limit. look at the upper right and lower left corners. do you see the angle impressions?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

ld_ferg - those corners weren't pressed to alter the card.

Someone used little triangular thingies that are made to hold photographs in an album on them.
    Since cards are thicker than photos, they would have had to jam them in which resulted in the dents on the corners.

Sounds like shagrotn77 has cards that were stored in the same way.
    I don't submit off-grade cards, so not sure what they would grade. A psa 4 ??????

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    i've been out for a while. wanted to say thanks for the info. the seller said he would refund my money.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)