Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1961 PSA 9 Bob Cerv Predictions?

gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any predictions on what this will end up at? It's a tough card even in an 8

1961 Bob Cerv PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    My guess is pretty close to 2k. That guess might be high but an 8 was sold two weeks back for over $400.
  • Options
    My guess is $1000. Anyone who would bid over this is a fool.image
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Looks like there'so shortage of fools, eh? Final price of $2,812.00!!
    This is a super tough card in high-end condition, but this high? Without actually even seeing the card, close-up?
    Just amazing.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    holy crap...for Cerv!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Now...that is some strong bidding.

Date of Bid Bid Amount User ID
    Feb-29-04 12:47:48 PST US $2,812.00 primeeagle( 198)
    Feb-29-04 12:47:56 PST US $2,762.00 vwc5( 431)
    Feb-29-04 12:47:35 PST US $1,500.00 jml517( 562)
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    As a seller, you've gotta love two bidders getting into it with each other. Eliminate one of them and the bid goes down to around $1,550 (assuming that there were no failed snipes).
  • Options
    I think that Steve at BBCExchange should give me a big discount on my next purchase!

Buck-vwc5

• Options
    BTW,

I could have predicted the final price to the penny, as I figured there was only one other fool who would bid this much, so that I would be 2nd.

• Options
    Wow, that went even beyond what I expected! I don't think a PSA 9 Mantle goes for much more than that. image
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that went even beyond what I expected! I don't think a PSA 9 Mantle goes for much more than that. image >>

But how can you really compare Mantle to Cerv! image

From 1958 to 1959, Bob Cerv had 11 triples, Mantle only had 5! These guys shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence! image

JEB.
  • Options
    I thought Mantles went for upwards of 3k in Mint 9. But hey, it's close. The Cerv and the Gentile are the two most expensive commons in the high #s. I wonder what a Gentile 9 would sell for.
  • Options
    Jim Gentile only hit 6 triples in his entire career! I'd buy 2 Cerv's at this price before I bought 1 Gentile. image

Seriously,

They are both obviously tough cards to find in Mint condition. But what about Marty Kutyna - current pop of 24 PSA 8 and 0 PSA 9? Or Joe Gibbon with 12 PSA 8s and 1 PSA 9? Just glancing through the Pop Report, there are a lot of Pop zero and Pop 1 cards in PSA 9. I would like to see what they'd go for if one came to ebay. I think 1st series or last series is irrelevant when the Population is zero or 1.

JEB.
  • Options
    The Gibbon is a hard one too.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Simple equation:

[Hot set x Mint 9 x lo-pop hi series x Yankee] x Primeagle = 20 x SMR

My snipe of 2K failed.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I guess in Prime's eyes he got value............
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    Buck
    you owe me atleast 2k
    or
    i owe me
    either way i messed up
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    JEB,

Don't forget, Mantle and Cerv were roommates (together with Maris) during the 1961 season!!!!!!

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Buck
    you owe me atleast 2k
    or
    i owe me
    either way i messed up >>

imageimage

But when I bought the Gibbon PSA 9 from you, Primeagle wasn't around!

• Options
    I still believe the Gibbon in high grade is the toughest in the set, but I must admit to salivating over that Cerv. I have no idea what I would do if I saw a PSA 9 50-50 Gentile on Ebay, but I would hope someone would care enough about me to take my keyboard away until the auction ended.

Todd
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • Options
    All... Here are my thoughts.

1) Making the comparison between Cerv and Mantle or Gentile or any other player misses an important point... there is only 1 PSA 9 of this card in existence!

2) The Cerv card (in any grade) is nearly impossible to obtain with better than 60/40 centering!

3) I believe its true to state that for the majority of the cards in the 61 set that a PSA 9 typically sells for around 10 times the price of a PSA 8!

Conclusions (In my humble opinion)...

1) Based on the price of this card in PSA 8, the PSA 9 value is between $4,000 - $4,500!
    2) Primeeagle did get a bargain!

• Options
    $2800+... wow.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    There are 2 Cerv's and only one Gentile. My guess is that Gentile is pushing 60/40 T/B. I too would like to see it.
  • Options
    I did see a Cerv PSA 8 that looked to be nearly perfectly centered. Granted the Cerv in a 9 is much rarer than the Mantle in a 9 but I'm sure this Cerv won't be the last 9 ever graded. If the pop ever gets to three, you're probably looking at a $1000 card.
  • Options

<< <i>I still believe the Gibbon in high grade is the toughest in the set, but I must admit to salivating over that Cerv. I have no idea what I would do if I saw a PSA 9 50-50 Gentile on Ebay, but I would hope someone would care enough about me to take my keyboard away until the auction ended.

Todd >>

At this point there are no 50/50 PSA 9 Gentile. There is only 1 PSA 9, adn as Purely PSa says it is off T/B. It is actually 38/62 by my measurements. PSA allows up to 35/65 in PSA 9 if the rest of the card is nice, as this one is. The Gibbon PSA 9 1/1 is much better centered, but there is a lot more small print marks on it in the backgrounnd.

There are 2 Cerv's and only one Gentile. My guess is that Gentile is pushing 60/40 T/B. I too would like to see it.

Here you go. I don't know wht they are so big. I will try to make them smaller.
    Sorry, but I can't figure out how to make them smaller.

imageimageimage

• Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Rob -

Thanks for the scan! That Gentile has a newer cert #. One of your own submissions, or a purchase? And do you feel it's a deserving 9? And one other thing: what's with the right border of the Sheldon? Is that the scan or is it noticeably browner? Another great card, by the way.
  • Options
    Buckwheat,

Thanks for posting those scans. The Gentile is the best of the three, in terms of eye appeal. T/B centering is the lesser of the evils. Sheldon's color is not as good as Gentile's and those print dots on Gibbon are distracting.

I don't care what they say about you, Rob. You've got nice cards. So what if you don't have the highest GPA of the decade.image
  • Options
    PurelyPSA:
    The Sheldon is slightly darker on the right, but it is more notieable in the scan that under the light even with magnification.

The Gentile definetly meets the criteria for a 9, though the centering is not the best. As Toppsgun says, it is the nicest card as far as gloss, color, clarity and lack of backround junk of the three.

The gentile was graded last year by a fellow collector with whom I traded my PSA 8 and $$$. BTW, he bought the card raw on EBay for about $50!!!! He was just trying to get an 8 to help complete his set.

The Gibbon was a purchase from PC about 18 months ago. The Sheldon I got from the Duke of Mint in a trade.

I would certainly have liked to have gotten the Cerv, but I already bid much more than I thought I should.

• Options
    PC...
    ...if you get the 2k from Buck, I want my 10% sellers commission from you. That's 5% less than Superior gets. Such a deal...
    I've probably received my % from Buck over the years.

At this time I'm actually holding #'s 523 & 559 in 7's hostage until he pays you. Who said people on this forum can't work together!image
    Work a little extortionimage

mx'er

Thanks for posting the pictures. Great cards!!!

Tom
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Buckwheat - fabulous pics! Coates is another tough one.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."