Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

First post -- first grades

Hi all -- I was an intense collector all through the 1980s, picking up some amazing card lots at flea markets right before that first pricing boom happened. The proliferation of sets (Fleer, Donruss, Score, et al) kind of turned me off to the hobby and I stopped collecting in 1991. I still have the thousands of cards I collected back then and thought I would send in some stars that I had handy, not packed away in boxes, for my first shot at grading.

Looks like I have a lot to learn. I thought I was sending in some very nice examples, and what I got back were:

65 Rose: 5
65 Koufax: 5
69 Reggie: 6
68 Griese: 7
69 Sayers: 6

Regardless of the poor showing, I wanted to let everyone know that I think this board is absolutely invaluable. Thanks for all the informative posts.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the boards and your submissions will get better with time.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. I can empathize with your feelings about the proliferation of sets turning you off to the hobby. Thanks to the set registry, traditional set building has been rejuvenated and there's once again a place for us vintage set builders to flourish. Should you choose to re-engage the hobby, you'll get that same enjoyment building sets that you had prior to the explosion of card companies and the insert mania.

If you post a high resolution image of the cards you had graded, we might be able to pinpoint what flaws caused your cards to downgrade.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    atlee;

As a same day Newbie... just wanted to say welcome! The PSA Registry set building curve is a steep one, but you've come to the right place! Man, there are some great guys on here posting tremendous information! You can't help but learn!

Sorry your grades weren't what you expected, but it's still a postive that you're back to collecting.

Keith
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Atlee - welcome !

Just remember : ya gotta check those corners under magnafication before submitting image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Don't forget, those are still Ex+ cards. Nothing to be ashamed of, and I hope the 'lower than expected' grades don't dampen your enjoyment of those particular cards.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. When my cards make it back to me, I'll post images of a couple. Would like to learn what I missed before sending them in. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Welcome Atlee. Are you going to chase a set on the registry? or do you already?
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    One never forgets their first girl...or their first PSA submission.

Skycap
  • Options
    "One never forgets their first girl...or their first PSA submission."

I have. On both counts. I've got much better ones now. Again, on both counts.image
  • Options
    Welcome..

If you want to sell the Griese and the sayers when you get them back..email me at sandlot411@aol.com

these guys can help you alot with your submissions
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Welcome Atlee

Do you fear Fred Lynn Collectors?

Carlos
  • Options

<< <i>One never forgets their first girl...or their first PSA submission. >>

That would be a good topic, I don't think I've seen that one (I'm talking about the cards of course).

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭