Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Bicentennial Lincoln Cent in 2009

2009 will be the 200th anniversary of Lincolns birth. The government has set up a commission to explore ideas on how to celebrate it.

Among those ideas already suggested is a Bicentennial Lincoln cent. You can add your voice to that choice by clicking below.

Ideas to celebrate Lincoln's 200th birthday

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• I suppose they could eliminate the cent that year.image 101 years is long enough.

OR

Maybe do a 2009 S VDB for circulation?
  • I think thry should celebrate it with another tax break!
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they could replace Lincoln with Robert E. Lee??

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Relayer
    I agree.Thanks for the link.I submitted my suggestion.As a member of the Society of Lincoln Cent Collectors,I felt it impairative to send in a suggestion.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns

• It looks like merz2 is the only Lincoln collector who cares.

I always thought it was a popular series?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • I love Lincolns and I like the idea of a 2009 S VDB, but which reverse would you use?
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 2009-W VDB 1 cent wheat reverse Gold commemorative would be pretty cool(actual size). They should also make a copper 2009-S VDB 1 cent wheat reverse in copper for circulation.
  • Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    How about a couple of hands shaking on the reverse with a peace pipe above (representing North and South coming back together)....no wait that has already been used for the 2004 nickel imageimage
  • Return to the wheat reverse. It's much more elegant than the memorial.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i think the reverse should have a depiction of a log cabin.

• << <i>Return to the wheat reverse. It's much more elegant than the memorial. >>

I agree, the wheat design has always been a nicer looking coin to me.
    "praise not the day until evening has come; a woman until she is burnt; a sword until it is tried; a maiden until she is married; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk"

( A paraphrase among Northmen )
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    1. No memorials anylonger but again wheats...

2. A 2009 VDB + 2009S VDB, exactly the same as one hundred years ago, but only an other date...

3. Special off metal strikings, for example in zinc coated steel...

4. Matte proof coins...

5. Special collector set with a "look back" (every mintmark + varity, but no different dates)

6. A special book for kids with easy to read information... + holes for Lincolns...

7. A special mint set with repunched mintmarks

8. 100 special coins, who will be released with every other coin, but with special charasterics wich, when you send it back to the mint,
    will be exchanged for a complete set of all Lincolns (wheats+memorials)

9. Give every person in the US a special introducing set...

10. Special collector albums for all those varities...

Just my idea's...

Dennis
  • I agree, the wheat design has always been a nicer looking coin to me.

Thanks - what I really like about the wheat reverse is the font design on 'ONE CENT'. It bespeaks the early modern high-living jazz-age. I see Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire dancing outside a 'HOTEL' and the 'E' in 'HOTEL' looks just like the 'E' on the wheat reverse. It is crisp and evocative. The memorial is way way too busy. Busy coin designs are much harder to pull off -- look how much cr*p they are cramming onto the statehood quarters, and my own state (Illinois) is one of the biggest design-by-committee goofs there. I guess that would be my biggest worry: that when the 2009 event rolls around a committee designs the new Cent and goofs it up. Hey, great idea for a new thread. I'll start one.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the 2009 vdb.
    Use the Wheat reverse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I think they should one of these three portraits located here.

Maybe a steel zinc-plated 2009-S VDB would be neat!

• Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    How about a 2009 U.S.A. struck in aluminum like the 1974 experimental coins that Congress examined. Then how about a change of design for 2010 (isn't 100 years long enough?).

As for the reverse, I think it should not use either the memorial or wheat back, but rather a new design to make it truly unique and one-of-a-kind.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a 2009 U.S.A. struck in aluminum like the 1974 experimental coins that Congress examined. Then how about a change of design for 2010 (isn't 100 years long enough?).

. >>

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Not another 100 years of standing behind some little old lady
    counting out worthless pennies to pay for some trivial purchase.

Eliminate the cent now except for proof and mint sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    My suggestion was a complete set 1909,1909-S,1909 VDB,1909-S VDB all with wheat rev.The date would be the same as the Bi-cetenial coins (1909-2009).
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • lincoln on the front john w. boothe on the backimagelol
    i like collecting a wide range of coins but my preference is full step jefferson nickels
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a limited edition of 500,000 2009 VDB cents as well as 284,000 (use same mintage as in 1909 for the VDB) 2009-S VDB cents using the old style dies with deep relief and also the wheat reverse?

Must be made out of the original copper alloy!! After all the US Mint could pay off the Federal Government deficit on this idea alone!

To make it interesting, the US Mint should include 5 sets that have blazing red 1909-S VDB cents in a special US Mint made 100 year sets!!!!!

We will call it the 100 year VDB set(tm).

The US Mint should sell these out quickly!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file