Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Rack Pack

I've never seen one of these listed before on e-Bay. They may have been there but I just never noticed. Does anybody have any idea what this item may be worth?

1969 Rack Pack

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow, very cool item! If I were selling that, I would want to pass it by GAI first, but it will still bring a pretty penny I bet...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It say 29 cents right on the package, Zodiac...!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Yeah...but if we could turn back time to when it was $0.29, I would be back in diapers and I would only have $0.23 in my piggy bank.
  • Options
    Outrageous. You hardly ever see '68 through '71 racks any more.

I wonder if a Mint 9 Brock is lurking in there....
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    my guess is the pack will go for 1200-1500. very neat pack whic hyou don't see as much as the 68's and 71's . if it were graded , it might bring 2k.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall one being auctioned off that had two stars showing (Aaron and Bench I believe). I think that one ended up going for $2K. This was about three or four years ago. I concur that this one will probably sell for $1200-$1500.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Well, it's almost at $1000 already, with 6 days left! Anyone know how many cards are in it?

Also, look at the middle section top card. Looks badly o/c to me, which might indicate that all the cards beneath it are the same.
  • Options
    Wow I was considering 1000 on this but it looks like it may go alot higher. How many cards on in this critter. I would open it if I bought it to try and get the brock. The high bidder is a big time pack collectorso I imagine he will be aggressive if its a pack he needs.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    I suspect larry (high bidder) and skip will battle on this one. . should be 30 or 36 cards .
  • Options
    Looks like the Satriano is OC side to side based on the scan of the back of the pack. This is typical for that card. I opened a first series cello once and got all the common cards (Fryman, AL ERA LDRs, Gomez, Wills, etc). The only semi-tough card I got was #80 Norm Cash. I'm beginning to believe the assuption mentioned in my uncut sheet thread that Topps destroyed quantities of various commons to make the set more difficult to build from packs.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have a cello, a pack and even a box but no racks. So ITS MINE!!!!
  • Options
    My guess is $2,200.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    $1,300 with 6 days left. It looks like it'll easily surpass $2k.
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is $2,200.

Wayne >>

That would make my cello worth $750-$1000. I'll take it!image
  • Options
    This is interesting because 1969 was my first year buying cards, and I bought lots of 'em even though I was only 10 (yeh, Dad helped, haha!). But I don't remember ever seeing this particular animal anywhere. We had the nickel machines and wax packs where I was (in Michigan) but not these. So I suspect it had limited distribution, which probably makes it all the more rare. Personally I could never buy one of these things because I couldn't resist the temptation to tear it open.

I have two full wax boxes of 1974 Topps baseball and its all I can do to look at them and not want to start ripping. Good thing I have about 8000 mint '74s that I already opened back in '74. And no, I don't want to sell the two wax boxes.

Scott
  • Options

<< <i>$1,300 with 6 days left. It looks like it'll easily surpass $2k. >>

And some people STILL wonder why PSA 8 and 9 low pop commons are going for what they do. image

Scott
  • Options

<< <i>I'm beginning to believe the assuption mentioned in my uncut sheet thread that Topps destroyed quantities of various commons to make the set more difficult to build from packs. >>

Oh its definitely believable, just not to the point of a Topps official ever confirming it. The best evidence I heard was back in the mid-70's from a big-time collector from New York -- I think it was Bill Haber. He knew some of the Topps brass at the time and they told him they were doing it every year. And actually, if you look over today's PSA pop reports, you can spot the one or two players per team that were the probable targets of the planned destruction.

Scott
  • Options
    gemint is your cello a blue one or a clear one?
  • Options
    I'm real new on to this forum...however you have to ask yourself...why would anyone sell the pack...and this is not the first of these that I've seen...I seen some from the early 60's and late 50's for sale...if the cards inside were so potentially valuable...as usually stated in these offers..."could have this or that card in it"...why sell them...why not find the "Mantle" card yourself...because if it's there...then what...

It just doesn't feel right...I could be wrong though...just my thought...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options

<< <i>..."could have this or that card in it"...why sell them...why not find the "Mantle" card yourself...because if it's there...then what...

It just doesn't feel right...I could be wrong though...just my thought... >>

Henri -- Have you ever been to Las Vegas? If so (or even if not), then you'll know what the buying, selling and grading of unopened packs is all about. Its the thrill of the wager. And as with Las Vegas, if you bet peanuts, you'll win (or lose) peanuts. If you bet elephants, you'll win (or lose) elephants.

Scott
  • Options
    Scott...I've got a #1 Ted Williams 1958 Topps card...perfect...that I'll sell you for $500...ungraded...looks terrific...it might be worth twice that...if in the right holder...that is if you are looking for a "thrill"...whoops did I mention that it's "trimmed"...all I'm saying is...the guy selling it might know more than he's willing to say...I guess I've been bitten to often...with the "great" deal only to find out that I didn't get what I thought I was going to get...my 2 cents worth...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri,

I don't quite get your analogy. How is buying a pack and gambling that there will be a valuable card in it even remotely the same as buying a card that has been altered?

I think that you're suggesting the pack has been tampered with, and that this is the only reason someone would sell such an item. While I tend to have a fairly dim view of humanity in general, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Sometimes, people get into financial trouble and need to part with something they love. I don't know if that's the case here, but by the same token, you have no evidence that your conclusions are any more valid.

Un
  • Options
    You're right I do sound cynical...didn't your mother ever tell you "that if it sounds to good to be true...it just might not be"...I've bought trimmed cards...altered stamps...a 1967 Austin Healey...all of which were not what they were advertised to be...do I have a stamp on my forehead...that reads...sucker...maybe...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options

<< <i>gemint is your cello a blue one or a clear one? >>

It's the clear one. It has the ultra rare Al Dark on top. image The one I'm keeping for my collection has Jerry Grote on top. I bought both packs (plus the one I opened) from Mark Murphy when he packed out a 1st series cello box a few years back. Wish I had bought more. I was going to take the duplicate pack to the SF show last weekend to submit to GAI but I forgot to bring it. I'm in no hurry to unload it though since packs get scarcer as time goes by.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Here's a p*ss poor picture of my 69 rack. I got it graded at the Nov. Chicago show (GAI 7).

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    John , glad to see your back online, how are things down under? did that pack come from dave and adam? jsut curious as I remember seeing them with a clemente rack.

gemint, sounds like a nice pack, I'm looking for a blue one, I gave up on 60's cellos as there is too much funny business in the market right now but feel that the 64 and 69 colored ones are much safer and are kind of cool. glad to hear where you got yours, i would only buy clear cellos that I know came from full boxes or that are already graded. any other way is too risky with the clear ones

as far as the rack, i think you are a little off base hammerinhank. the 50's and 60's racks that you are referring to are christmas racks and are only good for nostalgia. the cards are off condition. this rack is a topps factory rack , very difficult to tamper with without making it obvious. having opened 60's and early 70's packs in the last year, you wouldn't open it becasue even if you get good pulls , there is a high probabitity that they will be o/c or out or psa 9-10 specifications. At 1500 a pack , you would need to get psa 9 star pulls and makes it tough to recoup your investment.

by the way , welcome to the boards
  • Options
    Has anyone else here who has bid on this item receive an e-mail from "pinkglasscat" offering to sell a similar item? Here is the text of the e-mail I received:

"I looked on ebay that you want to buy a 1969 Topps Baseball Cards Rack Pack Item number: 3277218522 and we want to tell you that we have one just like it, in perfect condition and we sell it more cheap than that seller! So if you want to buy e-mail us. Also you can verify our ebay rating! Thank you and have a nice day Chelli Marco."

I looked up the eBay feedback on this name and it came back as 60 with no negs or neutrals. I'm not making judgments either way here, I just thought it was pretty curious because the e-mail was sent using an eBay logo fascimilie, and it's overall appearance seemed a little "unusual"....
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone else here who has bid on this item receive an e-mail from "pinkglasscat" offering to sell a similar item? Here is the text of the e-mail I received:

"I looked on ebay that you want to buy a 1969 Topps Baseball Cards Rack Pack Item number: 3277218522 and we want to tell you that we have one just like it, in perfect condition and we sell it more cheap than that seller! So if you want to buy e-mail us. Also you can verify our ebay rating! Thank you and have a nice day Chelli Marco."

I looked up the eBay feedback on this name and it came back as 60 with no negs or neutrals. I'm not making judgments either way here, I just thought it was pretty curious because the e-mail was sent using an eBay logo fascimilie, and it's overall appearance seemed a little "unusual".... >>

That smells like a scam. I'd be forwarding that email to eBay's Trust Department at spoof@ebay.com as fast as my finger could reach the send button. From eBay's site:

"If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to spoof@ebay.com and do not respond to it or click on any of the links in the email message. Please do not change the subject line or forward the email as an attachment."

Scott
  • Options
    Machodoc,

I recieved a very similar email...

"I looked on ebay that you want to buy a 1935 National Chicle Cliff Battles #10 PSA 8 Item number: 3277218522 and we want to tell you that we have one just like it, in perfect condition and we sell it more cheap than that seller! So if you want to buy e-mail us. Also you can verify our ebay rating! Thank you and have a nice day Chelli Marco."

The email looked very strange...I deleted it without thinking about reporting it...

andrewlaw
  • Options
    I think this is part of the hijack account cartel. They may be having problems stealing accounts and have now resorted to soliciting potential victims off-line. They typically have unlimited quantities of scarce items and are willing to sell them dirt cheap. Remember, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."