Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 OPC Baseball help needed

I am wworking on my Graig Nettles Master Set for the registry and picked up his 1969 OPC RC recently and was wondering if there was an error version (black loop) like there is for the Topps? It is not listed in my master set but that doesnt carry a lot of assurance.

Thanks for the help.

Patrick
Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.

Comments

• Options
    I read your question and it made me wonder myself if the same variations existed in the OPC set. I pulled out my 2004 SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards to check. There is no mention of any variation card in the entire 218 card set, including white letters, loops, emblems visible/airbrushed, misspellings, varying team names, or red circle/white circle - I think I covered them all.

I don't know if that means that this variation is absolutely not possible with OPC, but I would tend to think that there are enough cards out there that someone working on this book would have uncovered an example in their research. Plus, I'm assuming the OPC cards were not printed using the same hardware that was used by Topps? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. They couldn't have used it for the back of the card since the OPC logo replaces the Topps logo.

Hope that helps.

JEB.
  • Options
    Despite much earlier comments, which I now apologize for, I find your posts to be very informative and your willing to share info refreshing and valuable.
    I believe you to be correct ........ again. The OPC versions list "printed in Canada" on the back. This actually is the result of some import/export laws that require contry of origin to be placed on products. Topps of course says "printed in U.S.A. Therefore, I would be very surprised if the "same hardware" was used. I would guess however, that Topps developed the sheet originally and provided it to OPC with the required changes. If you have worked in industry long, you know that Licensees are often left out of the update loop. Especially if it is a "quick life cycle" product. After all they probably only printed a series of BB cards for a few months at most.
    It got me to thinking, there are other "variations" all through the 60's and early 70's Topps issues. 67 Checklists, no trade lines in 66 and 67, underlines in 72, etc. But I can not think of one time that I have ever seen ANY OPC variation listed for sale or cataloged. I suspect that also leaves you correct in the 69 but probably generally correct for all OPC issues.
    Does anyone know of any OPC card variations, for any sport, from this time frame?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz,

Are you referring to me? Refresh my memory on your comments. I have obviously not held any grudge (considering I can't even remember), and I've found a lot of your posts enjoyable and informative as well, although I don't reply often to them because I have limited knowledge of football cards in general.

Thanks for the kudos, though. I'm always happy to help anyone here in any way that I can.

JEB.
  • Options
    Lizard,

Thank you very much for researching and posting your findings, I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

Fuzz,

thanks for the input as well and validating what virtualizard had found.

Patrick
    Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.