Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Top-Pop "Monster" Made/Crossed; Pics. added; Thanks ColorfulCoins

Sorry, but "pop-top" will always be a type of can to me! image

Grades are in on a bunch of cross-overs(recieved 11/24), and I finally did relatively well. I missed on a bunch of nice NGC Buffalos, but had two quarters make the grades and consequently the submission well worth while.

One is a 1853 Arrows & Rays that crossed from an ANACS MS62 holder. I think that the coin is nice for the grade and may have done better with a crack-out. The A&R has always been one of my favorite quarter types, and I'm happy to just have it cross for now.

The second quarter, and the "jewel" of the submission was an NGC '54 PF68 Ultra Cameo Washington. It has awesome cameo contrast, but what makes this coin really special is the incredible rainbow peripheries. The pop on this coin was 9 with 0 higher. I now have # 10, which has to be the prettiest of them all! image
It will be going into my registry set, breaking the tie with my mentor on the series, Alan Mendelson (something I never dreamed would happen, let alone in this way!).

My good friend, Craig(ColorfulCoins) and I submitted the group together at the Nov. Santa Clara show, and they are now on their way to him. It would be very image if he could post a picture(s) here before sending it north. His pics are so much better than mine! image
T.I.A., Craig image

Also had a proof Mercury cross at pr66, and a 1876-CC quarter that DNC.

Don

Monster-Toned PR68DCAMs and

FULL Heads RULE!

Comments

• Don,

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on making the '54 PR68DCAM 25c!! Truly an awesome hit, really happy for you! Sounds like it's a beautiful coin! It's always nice to hear about good guys making good coins! image Hey Don, I'll give you a 100 bucks for it right now, sight unseen! How 'bout it?! image

Hope some of your good luck will rub off on me with the raw coin package I recently submitted. Hoping to pop a couple of MS67 Washingtons out of that group.

Again, congrats!

Tom Schiera
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Don, would be happy to! The coins are my PO Box as we speak waiting for me to snatch them up! Check back this evening about 9PM and I should be able to post!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Thanks, Tom, for the kind words. I hope I still have some luck left to rub off after that one. image
    Did you leave a couple of zeros off of your offer?!? image

Craig,
    At your convienience, bud. We've waited this long! LOL
    Thanks again.
    edit to ask for maybe just a reverse shot of the A&R? imageimage

Don

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Great work Don -- and a rainbow beauty on top, too. Im proud of you. Cheers, alan mendelson
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I can't take a decent picture of a Cameo coin - I can get the cameo OR I can get the color BUT NOT BOTH. So to compsenate, here's both - sort of.

imageimage

imageimage
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Thanks a bunch, Craig.
    You did a lot better than I can. The 2nd reverse pic looks pretty right-on to me! image
    It does look better in person though, right? image lol

Thanks, Alan. That means a lot comin' from you! image

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Smokes !!

That is one heck of a coin, what a looker...image

Ken
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Be Bop A Lula & Ooooby Dooooby!!!!

The Cats are jumpin' for JOY at the site of that
    Rock'nRoll Ruby!!!!!!!!!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don: I just had a chance to see the scans of this coin a minute ago.

HOLY COW DON!! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE COIN!! Congratulations on the big "score"!!

I am really pleased to see PCGS designating a monster color coin such as this DCAM. Years ago, PCGS was hesitant to designate DCAM where the lettering on the coin was toned. In many cases, collectors and dealers were faced with the alternative of either cracking the coin out and dipping it (Lord have mercy on those who did that!) or accepting a CAM designation. PCGS' willingness to now slab a coin like this DCAM is GREAT FOR HOBBY IMHO!! Monster rim toned specimens may now be saved from the Jeweluster and still achieve the DCAM designation they deserve.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS Don for an incredible score. And, if you ever need to raise a little cash...... never mind

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Here is the Frankie answer to that MONSTER!

atleast in terms of color.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    boy those 2 would be a sweet match if the years were the same....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Nice color coins. I love em.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Thanks Guys and Kitty. image

Mitch,
    I hope that PCGS may have have finally seen the light when it comes to toned cameos. I believe that it wasn't that long ago that they wouldn't even give out a cam designation with toning in the fields. At least I'm hoping that's the case, as I have a few more NGC proofs and some already in PCGS slabs with similar toning.

Craig,
    Now that your c.s. set is complete, it may be time to move up to proofs! imageimage

Nicest Frankie I've seen, Luce!

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!