Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question for someone with a Spinks coins of England book

If I remember correctly, there should be a table of Anglo-Saxon and Medieval mints with a listing of which rulers had coins minted at the particular mints. If someone would be so kind, please tell me which rulers minted coins at the Bury St. Edmunds mint. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I have the book, but don't fully understand everything in it.

The kings listed for Bury St. Edmunds are:
    Aethelstan
    Edward the Confessor
    Wiliam I
    Henry I (Long Cross Coinage)

I hope this is what you need.
    Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Refrema,

Thanks. That's sort of what I'm looking for. Under the mint names, there should be ruler abbreviations. From what you wrote I would assume it means from Athelestan TO Ed Conf, then William I TO Henry III long cross. Which would mean that Harold II did not mint coins at BSE but every ruler from Ath to Henry III did. If you can confirm that, please let me know. Thanks again.
  • Options
    That is what the book says. Harold II is not listed there. His code is Hii, and is not listed.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Where was the mint exactly in Bury St. Edmonds? Was it in the abbey? That was destroyed in 1327 I believe. What an awesome place that it. I'll have to dig up pictures for you.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22