Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone know Motorcitycy on EBAY

He's a known Non-Sports collector. I sold him 8 N-S PSA cards on EBAY. He paid right away via Paypal a month ago. I sent the cards to his Confirmed Paypal address. Now he's claiming his account was "hijacked". Paypal believed him and has debited the $260 from my account. Now he has my cards and his money! What can I do??image
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    WAS IT A REVERSAL PAYMENT? THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING A LOT LATELT. BUT I ALWAYS GET MY MONEY BACK. HAS HAPPENED 4 TIMES TO ME NOW ALL CARDS UNDER 10$ THOUGH. BUT THEN THEY PUT IT BACK LIKE 3 DAYS LATER, WHEN THE FIGURE OUT WHO HIJACKED THE ACCOUNT.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    FRANK - Even if his account was hijacked, he must realize he has your cards and you have no payment.
    i would email him again and bluntly state those facts and see what he's willing to do about it. You did nothing wrong and held up your end of the deal...jay
  • As Frank already knows, the guy also did a Paypal reversal on me a few days ago for some cards he paid for over a month ago. I also shipped to his confirmed address. Same story, they claimed it was a fraudulent transaction.

Richard
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Jay.... I e-mailed him. He claims that the Police are holding the cards as evidence!!
    Frank

• << <i>Jay.... I e-mailed him. He claims that the Police are holding the cards as evidence!! >>

Did you ask him for a contact name in the Laguna Hills Police so you can check with them to see when you are going to get the "stolen" cards back? image
  • This is why when you link your paypal to your checking, make sure it's a seperate checking account with less or no money, There are conartist out there that will take advange of anyone, even a power seller like me.
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Did you ask him for a contact name in the Laguna Hills Police so you can check with them to see when you are going to get the "stolen" cards back?

I think he mentioned Barney Fife.image

All kidding aside. All Paypal sellers should be aware that if you cannot show online proof that an item was received by a buyer, Paypal will believe the buyer and debit your account. This buyer refused Postal Insurance and actually admitted to me that he got the cards, but he told Paypal a different story. From now on I'm adding 50 cents to my shipping fees to cover "delivery confirmation".
    Frank

• I guess I was lucky that he didn't pay for the auctions he won from me last month.
    John Vineyard

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

USPS 'Delivery Confimation' is great.
    45 cents extra on priority mail, and 55 cents extra on 1st class mail.

If the package is insured you don't need it,
    but I generally use it on all uninsured packages I send out that have a value of over 50 bucks or so.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Are you sure he told paypal he didn't receive them? In your first post, you said he claimed his account was hijacked (in which case they might also give him his cash back).

I would contact the police to find out if they have them. If he lied to paypal about receiving them in the mail to automatically get his money back AND he handed the cards over to the police, then he's committed fraud. That would be an open and shut case.

Do you have the emails where he admitted receiving the cards in the mail? If so, you may also want to contact the postal inspector's office. They take mail fraud very seriously. Again, that's if he told paypal he didn't get them.

• SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    roasted -

Even if you have a separate checking account linked to paypal, how do you avoid paying them if you want to use their services again? If they can't or don't retrieve your money from your linked checking account, your paypal account will show a negative balance.

Will the negative balance follow you if you open a different paypal account (linked to yet another checking account)?

• << <i>
    If the package is insured you don't need it,
    but I generally use it on all uninsured packages I send out that have a value of over 50 bucks or so. >>

Is USPS insurance trackable online? I don't believe it is. Paypal will only accept proof of delivery that is "trackable online" according to their Seller Protection Policy.

Richard
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Richard - The people at the Post Office can track insurance #'s on their computers,
    because they get entered into the computer of the destination Post Office when they arrive,
    but we as consumers can't track the #'s online from the USPS site.

So insurance alone probably wouldn't meet paypal's requirement of being trackable online,
    but you'd be able to recover the insurance money from the Postal Service if the package doesn't get there.

On the other hand, if people are claming hijacked accounts and such, then nothing is going to protect the seller.
    Seems to me the owner of the Paypal account should be held responsible for allowing their account to get hijacked in the first place.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"