Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Green yuks removed for 1822 Hibernia...images

hi all, remeber the images of the 1822 Hibernia I had up with the green creeping nasties? Well, I receivced the the item today and gave it some TLC....BRASSO...MAHAHAHAHA....no, real TLC and I wanted to you all to see the images.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This was using MS70, dipping and not rubbing it in, and then olive oil rolled on with a Q-tip. image The image looks orange because I shot the picture in sunlight the coin is much darker chocolate color.

Comments

• Options
    It didn't get the scratches out!!! image

Seriously, though, that's done the job on that green rubbish good and proper. Nice work.

Question: Is the coin the same overall colour now as it was before? - I realize what's happened with the photography environments but is it?

Lloyd
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Hey Lloyd,

Yes, the overall color is still pretty much the same kind of a dark coco color. I kind of like the scar under his eye. Makes it look like he walked into the wrong pubimage
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes it look like he walked into the wrong pub >>

Well, he's for sure Irish now!! image
  • Options
    Well what the hell is MS70 anyway? - surely not another 'Only-in-America' product (like the OTT light).

L
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>surely not another 'Only-in-America' product (like the OTT light). >>

Give it a few months Lloyd....I'm sure we'll outsource it soon. image

MS70 - COIN CLEANSER

I wouldn't recommend this stuff on high grade material though.....perfect for this thread's application though.

Edited to say: It usage is detectable on high grade coppers especially, and of course, the coin will be devalued by knowledgeable buyers......it does tend to put a "sheen" on the copper.....kinda like fake lustre.
  • Options
    MS70 is a soapy substance it is not an acid based dip. Matter of fact, you really don't dip your coins in it. You roll it on with a Q-tip and let it sit then rinse the coin in water. It removes soil and tarnish. This is not a good image but it shows you the overall color.

This coin will never be sent for grading, it just please me to see that green stuff gone and not doing anymore damage to the coinimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    That last image looks good, the first one made it appear that all the toning was removed.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Hi steve,

Yes, while I like shooting coins in the natural sun light it can make them look funny. It was the angle of the sun when I took it. I have to use what daylight we have...LOL! gets dark about 5 o' clockimage