Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Where are they, fellow Roosie collectors!

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering the where abouts of 2 coins, (Actually 8) and if anyone has seen them lately. I'm talking about the 1982-NO P MS68 Roosies with a pop of 4/0 and the 1996-W MS69 Roosies with a pop of 4/0.

Has anyone seen these coins or know of the where abouts?
Has anyone tried to submit them for the Full Band designation?
If they were to get the FB, what would they be worth?
Are they for sale?

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance,
Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul, I've wondered where those 8 coins are too, or if they really exist.
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    In about 1997 or 1998, I wrote to an old guy who lived in Sandusky, OH. He advertised in Coin World or Numismatic News on a regular basis, selling 1982 no P 10c, both raw and PCGS ms 65/66/67. I had an ms 67 , was looking to upgrade and thought he might be able to help. He wrote me back a detailed letter and sent along copies of several early 1980's CW and NN articles detailing the variety's discovery. Apparently, he had accumulated a large hoard of these in 1982- they showed up and were first recognized at Cedar Point, an amusement park in Sandusky. He had been supplementing his income by selling off his hoard. At some point, he had sent a quantity of the nicest pieces to PCGS making many ms67's and at least 2 ms68's. He had sold one of the ms68's for $2500, but still had one. He declined my offer of $3000 for the last one he had . They undoubtedly exist.

My 1994 pop report shows ms 66 pop in the 70's with 0 higher. I don't know pops until 1998 report which shows pop 2 in ms68 (this guy's coins, I think). The other 2 came later and may be upgraded coins originally in ms67 holders.

Michael
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I slabbed one of the 96W coins myself and placed it with a collector. Best I know, the collector still has the coin. A second MS69 sold on ebay for around $800 a few years ago. I missed the auction, but contacted the high bidder and basically asked him to "name his price". He declined - if memory serves me right he may have been putting together a birthday year set of 1996 for a child?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In about 1997 or 1998, I wrote to an old guy who lived in Sandusky, OH. He advertised in Coin World or Numismatic News on a regular basis, selling 1982 no P 10c, both raw and PCGS ms 65/66/67. I had an ms 67 , was looking to upgrade and thought he might be able to help. He wrote me back a detailed letter and sent along copies of several early 1980's CW and NN articles detailing the variety's discovery. Apparently, he had accumulated a large hoard of these in 1982- they showed up and were first recognized at Cedar Point, an amusement park in Sandusky. He had been supplementing his income by selling off his hoard. At some point, he had sent a quantity of the nicest pieces to PCGS making many ms67's and at least 2 ms68's. He had sold one of the ms68's for $2500, but still had one. He declined my offer of $3000 for the last one he had . They undoubtedly exist.

My 1994 pop report shows ms 66 pop in the 70's with 0 higher. I don't know pops until 1998 report which shows pop 2 in ms68 (this guy's coins, I think). The other 2 came later and may be upgraded coins originally in ms67 holders.

Michael >>

There were actually a few hordes in Sandusky. I didn't see the one referred to here
    but also corresponded with the gentleman. He had probably the largest of the hordes
    which has been estimated as high as a few thousand pieces. He was very active in
    the early days searching bags and buying from the public.

I was able to see one of the large hordes and there were some very high grade coins.
    About 90% of the coins were poorly struck but were often fairly clean. Most of these
    should probably grade no higher than MS-61. Most of the rest of the coins had a little
    bit better strike and many could be considered choice but very few MS-64 or better.
    The gems stood out head and shoulders above the others.

The '96-W comes extremely nice. Many will grade MS-65 or better and I have seen a
    couple of virtually perfect pieces. These probably would grade only MS-68 though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a guy on eBay that has sold close to a dozen or so 1982's in MS67, and I rather not say his name, as he still may have a few, image and I believe he is from Sandusky. You would think that if there were 4 68's that 1 or 2 could be upgraded to a FB?

"I slabbed one of the 96W coins myself and placed it with a collector. Best I know, the collector still has the coin. A second MS69 sold on ebay for around $800 a few years ago. I missed the auction, but contacted the high bidder and basically asked him to "name his price". He declined - if memory serves me right he may have been putting together a birthday year set of 1996 for a child?"

Wondercoin

Its unbelievable that some guy that may or may not collect dimes or coins for that matter has a 1996-W in MS69 that most of us collectors will LOVE TO HAVE. Its ironic how things work out sometimes!

Thanks for the responses as I can always count on the board for answers!

Paul.

Later, Paul.