Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the 1931-D Mercury underated and under priced?

Anybody collecting mercuries knows what i mean when i say that. Its the fourth lowest mintage date, and yet hagh grade specimens are worth no more than some more common dates. I have a chance to buy a 66FB for my registry set and i can't see any reason it won't go up in price, whats your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    You can probably say all early mercs are ripe for picking. I think the entire series is under rated and it seems to change daily!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 31-d FB is only somewhat scarce and usually very well struck and definently available in Mint State/UNC conditions. I believe all Merc's will be heading North soon but for the time being be prepared to pay $400-500+ for a nice example.

Marc
  • Options
    If the price is right...Buy it1
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think all of the 1930 and 1931 dates are underrated. Thats just me though, I love the dates before 1934.

Ken
  • Options
    well, who knows, if i by it, i'll just moving up closer to some of you guys way up there in the registry set image
  • Options
    NOW YOU GET RID OF THOSE STUPID GRINS - THIS IS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE - WAIT TILL LUCY HEARS ABOUIT THIS MY FRIEND image

Marc

• Options
    I can smile all i want right now, i have nothing to lose. in 26th and always moving upimage
  • Options
    Just do not "Poof" a dime from the Be Bop Queen, she will be looking for revenge forever if you do...image

Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just do not "Poof" a dime from the Be Bop Queen, she will be looking for revenge forever if you do... >>

especially a KILLER COLOR COIN!!! The ultimate sin!!!!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    In the early 80's the 31D was thought to be a fairly rare coin just because of the mintage figure which you stated. Since TPG came on the scene some of the coins with lower mintage have became not as rare as a person would think based on mintage figures. Following are the population figures for the 1930 and 1931 Mercs which are graded MS66FB and higher that are posted by NGC. I would have used PCGS but right now I cannot access that report. I would think the ratio would be about the same. Someone correct me if this is way off base.

1930P....19 with 2 Higher
    1930S....15 with 2 higher
    1931P....23 with 2 higher
    1931D....33 with 6 higher
    1931S.....3 with 1 higher

What I am getting at is that you cannot go by the mintage figures anymore. A combination of mintage figures, pop figures, auction appearances and your personal observations should enter into whether you think a certain coin will preform well price wise.

Actully I think the coin is still underpriced but really do not see anyway the coin can preform like some of these other dates may in the future. Of course in this game we play they all could just go into the dumpster also.

Edit to add: Also I think it is important to look at the population of the coin you are thinking about buying in the grade just below the one you want. This can sometimes give you a indication of actually how many examples are available and whether the coin will preform well price wise.

Ken
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started buying uncirculated Mercs in the late '60's-early '70s, and at the time it seemed that every collector in 1931 must have saved a roll of '31-D dimes. They were everywhere. It was the P and S mint coins that were hard to find. I don't think a lot has changed over the years; the '31-D is still the most readily available, and the '31-P seems to be a bit easier to find than it used to be. The '31-S is still not an easy coin to find.

<< <i>Personally I think all of the 1930 and 1931 dates are underrated >>

Ken, I have to agree with this statement. I had trouble locating a '30-S in the pre-certification days, but picked up mine when dozens of them were sold on Teletrade around 1990-1991. Someone had obviously broken up an original roll or two. I don't think I've seen such quantities of a single pre-1934 date offered anywhere since then.

I've read that due to lack of demand for coins during the Great Depression, banks still had large quantities of many 1929-1933 coins in their vaults well into the mid-1930's, and they could be purchased at face value. I'd like to go back in time to 1935-36 with a fat wallet, and return to 2004 with some original rolls.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hello Mercateers!

The 31-D is by far the easiest of the 1931 dimes to find in gem full bands condition, but I agree, all the 1931 dimes are tough. I think that the entire Merc series, or at least the pre 1936 dimes are due for a correction upwards. I just hope I have my set finished first! BTW, there is a PCGS MS67FB 31-D on Ebay with a "Buy it Now" of $2,300.00.

Current PCGS Pops

..................MS65FB........MS66FB......MS67FB

1930-S........134...................53...................6

1931-D........258.................103................24

1931-S..........43....................30..................2

As you can see, the 31-D should be readily available in all grades.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was long on '31-D's for years before I gave up. This coin was hoarded somewhat as
    so many lower denomination, low mintage coins were after the 1920's. There are a lot
    more of these available than the low mintage might imply. It may well still be under-
    priced, but if it is, it has been for a very long time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the MS66FB PCGS pops from January:

1930P.....69 with 8 Higher
    1930S.....52 with 4 higher
    1931P.....43 with 6 higher
    1931D....104 with 23 higher
    1931S......29 with 2 higher

The MS66 NON-FB pops:

1930P....32 with 7 Higher
    1930S....21 with 1 higher
    1931P....10 with 5 higher
    1931D......9 with 5 higher
    1931S.....27 with 3 higher (one is MS68!)

So not only is the '31-D the most common, but the vast majority are FB

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Looks like the 31P needs a little more respect. Especially a nicely Toned example. image

Ken
  • Options
    I think that the entire Merc series, or at least the pre 1936 dimes are due for a correction upwards.
    I totally agree - actually long long overdue - kind of irks me to see for example coin world trends and grey/blue whateever sheets consistantly for last 2 years actually no major change in values when we know and boy do we know the prives have gone up monthly for many many dates etc. The sheets are garbage and a disgrace.

Marc
  • Options
    Hey Ken,

You had better quit rubbing salt in Lucy's wounds!

Regards,

Wayne

Regards,

Wayne

• Options
    She has been giving me Hell for a couple of weeks via PM. Its not a pretty sight, let me tell you.

Hey Wayne. Remember the 20D that Ellesmere had and you wanted ? Guess who "POOFED" that coin off Ebay. Lucy had a thread yesterday on the coin forum showing it and asking folks to grade it. Really it is a nice looking coin for a 63. Now its your turn to Raz her a little about taking a coin you wanted.

Merc members are Heartless when they want a certain coin.....image

Ken
  • Options
    Talk about "rubbing salt in the wound",
    the '31-D is the only '31 I'm missin'! image

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    well, just to let all of you know, i'm going to a a small state coin show this weekend hoping to get a few coins that all of us want. only about 100 dealers there, but usually one of the better ones to go to for the year here. Hopefully there's some for me to knab up! and if i get some of them, i'll make sure to post pics of them image also anybody looking at the 26-S VF-35, be ready to pay for it, cause i know i'm not the only one wanting it.image
  • Options
    So Lucy is the one that poofed my 20-D? Darn, I really liked and wanted that dime. Bad Kitty!!! image Guess we will have a shock and awe circle going on here. Wait till I see her. I'd give her a piece of my mind, but I can't spare it. I'll have to come up with a suitable punishment. I think maybe a spanking with a hairbrush, nah, she'd probably like that! Maybe I can get her Daddy to take her T-bird away.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• Options
    the best is yet to come.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i> Maybe I can get her Daddy to take her T-bird away. >>

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"