Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got grades today from a slab company.

To sum up, I was hammered on my hammered coins.

Edward IV groat BB altered surfaces What???? I gotta look at this one again when I get it back.

Edward IV groat VF20 OK, I can deal with this

Edward VI shilling VG10 hmmm... I think this had aethelred pedigree

Richard II penny VG8 I thought F-15

1819 shilling MS63 Nice coin.

A group of 1930B Trade Dollars:

AU58
MS62
AU58 another MS63 coin with just a hint of wear.

1972 Canadian Dollar SP68 the most beautiful toning ever seen on a Canadian Dollar. Grade is irrelavant on this coin. Wanted the toning to be protected.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You didn't always seem to be so slab-happy, were you?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laurent, I was one of the original slabbers of foreign coins on this forum. I like the protection slabs offer, especially for the thin hammered coins, and if I want to resell, like I will the Trade Dollars, they sell better if slabbed.

It isn't the slabs that are the problem IMO. It's the market that can place a 200% premimum on a coin that is only one point higher than another. Slabs are not inherently evil IMO, and I don't think anyone could convince me otherwise.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Is this an ICG group Don?? Or are you slummin' to PCI?? image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grades for the hammered seem alittle harsh. I thought Aethelred posted a picture of the Edward VI shilling many moons ago and it looked alittle better than VG10. A bb for the one groat seems alittle extreme... especially if one considers some coins that have been graded and I am not talking about a NET Grade either!

The 1819 shilling is probably a great looking coin. As for the British Trade Dollars, these can be tricky to grade because of the die polish. I still think these are tougher to get in GEM than most collectors think.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    'kat you are correct on the Trade Dollars. Very difficult to grade especially when considering so many have been cleaned. I'm not all that disappointed in the AU58 grades. They are great looking coins. I have to re-examine the hammered coins. I sent the submission out on January 15 so, in my senile state, I forget exactly what the coins look like.

Terry, yes ICG. I requested the Canadian Dollar be holdered canoe side up. This is the toned side. If it isn't, James Taylor is going to get a nasty phone call.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    A VG on that Edward VI Shilling is absurd as is the BB on the Edward IV! How many coins of that era DON'T have "altered surfaces of some sort?"image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Luckily ICG BBs only cost me $5.00 A story about body bags. Sent a Roman coin to ICG. They BBed it, reason 'other'. Showed the coin to JP Martin at FUN. He looked at it and said there is some environmental damage but all these old coins have some evironmental damage to some degree. He didn't know why it was body bagged. Contacted Taylor after the show, he looked up the number and said the grader entered 'harshly cleaned'.

Now, ICG's top grader, J.P. Martin looked at the coin, didn't see any cleaning, yet it was body bagged for being harshly cleaned. Slabbing is a game at times.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Slabbing is a game at times. >>

...and the people with the plastic make the rules.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Ajaan, did the grader of the Roman coin keep his job? If so, perhaps he recognized your name as the submitter of this batch?

"1972 Canadian Dollar SP68 the most beautiful toning ever seen on a Canadian Dollar. Grade is irrelavant on this coin. Wanted the toning to be protected."

So you didn't want what I did to my coin to happen to yours....? image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Ajaan, did the grader of the Roman coin keep his job >>

Probably. We have to admit, a grader can have a bad day and be wrong. One thing I really like about ICG is they only charge $5.00 for a bodybag. The other services charge FULL price for a bodybag, which, in my opinion, is wrong. It gives incentive to BB a coin in hopes it gets resubmitted.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ajaan, did the grader of the Roman coin keep his job? If so, perhaps he recognized your name as the submitter of this batch? >>

Supposedly, graders do not have access to the submitter's identity. In ICG's case specifically,they claim that the coins are submitted to a different company that in its turn submits them to ICG , so that the identity is protected and the company cannot be accused of favouritism.

I'd like to see a digital shot of that Canadian dollar. Or at least a scan of the 1819 shilling . image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Yeah really where's the images?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I don't have the coins yet. They were mailed out of Colorado Monday. Should have them Saturday.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ajaan, can I have the body bag? Not the coin, just the body bag.
  • Options
    OK so I'm new, fill me in here a little - I know about slabbing however I have never heard of BB or Body Bagging a coin. Who and Why do they BB a coin when you send it in, and what is the significance of this. If the coin is deemed to have been cleaned or whatever the reason, is this what all professional grading companies do? And what is with the fee to do this, inconvenience?

AFN
    "True Patriots of liberty sprout from the toils of truth."
  • Options
    A bodybag is a coin deemed not suitable for sladding for one of many reasons:

Questionable toning
    Negative eye appeal
    Evironmental Damage
    Altered surfaces
    cleaning
    Rim nicks or problems
    PVC contamination
    Questionable authenticity
    Damage

just to name a few. ANACS will net grade the coin and still slab it. PCGS and NGC charge the full price even if the coin is BBed. ICG just charges an administration fee of $5 for a bodybag.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Didn't know that thanks! I have never attempted to send anything in, even though I have some Pretty cool German 1 Marc's from 1950-53, however I have always been hesitant to do this because I thought that slabbing was only for coins that merited a slab, such as high-end or high-dollar, as to say rare coins. I didn't know what the golden rule was on this, but now I am excited because I never knew any coin could just get sent in for grading. I know pretty illiterate when it comes to coins, but learning more every day from the forums. Thanks everyone!

AFN
    "True Patriots of liberty sprout from the toils of truth."
  • Options
    Not just any coin can. In most case each service has a few items they will not slab. And of course the coin has to be able to fit in the holder. For example no service will slab a 1797 British two pence. It wasn't too long ago PCGS wouldn't grade colonials (Unfortunately they do now.) and I believe they still won't do ancients. Until recently none of them would do cobs. All of them will do modern darkside now though.