Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How much is the J-1776 Pattern worth in today's market?

Where is the coin now?
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It resides in a specialized collection and is worth $7.5-10M to the right buyer.
  • can someone link a picture or website link?

thanks
    See Seth's icon! image
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    You can see a better picture and learn more (but not much more) here:

J-1776....errrr, J-1905

Someone created the icon out of that picture. image

I've heard that Jay Parrino and a partner offered the present owner $15M for the coin at one time but the offer was declined...anyone have more info or even know if that's true or a numismatic urban legend?

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no clue what the 1776 would ultimately bring at auction but I do believe there would be half a dozen serious bidders in at 5mil. The ultimate pattern and possibly the ultimate numismatic item in private hands.
    I wonder how much the J-1776 number added to the allure? Now that the Judd number has changed, will the price drop?

Rella: I had heard a number half of what you stated.
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I would rather have the lead version
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    15 big ones!!!! WOW!!!
    Collecting since 1976.
    Why did the Judd numbers switch around?
    Collecting since 1976.
    Updated version of the book
    sonofgunk- You have got to be joking about preferring the J1777!
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Only 1/2.

Everyone can own a gold coin, how many can own a lead one?
    TDN and JBSTEVEN want to know what the coin grades.
    Collecting since 1976.
    Grade? On a unique coin? Does a grade really matter?

[uhhmmm - that diatribe is short hand for: heck if I know!] image

• << <i>Seth, are they embarrassed to ask so they PM'd you, to get you to? >>

BUSTED

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging from the image, the coin grades...

???

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

For what its worth. In the 1981 sale of the William Sieck collection, Bowers described the coin as choice matte proof 65 and St Gaudens personal choice for the double eagle.
    A 1981 gem! .... well, that narrows it down to somewhere between PF61 and PF69. image

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the J-1776 appeared at auction in July, 1984 (Auction '84, where it realized $467,500), it was described by David Akers as "Superb Gem Proof 67+!" In the auction photos, it certainly did look flawless!
    I can't believe you fellows are speculating the grade of a priceless, unique coin!image Plastic collectors!image

Seriously though, why has this coin appreciated at neary three times the rate of other similiarly priced rarities from the mid 80's. The Jerry Buss sale of the 1913 Nickel and 1804 Dollar sold for around 400k each......now they are worth between 2 to 3 million.......versus the J-1776 sold for around 400k/500k now its worth 7 to 10 million. I'm sure there are several examples, too. And the J-1776 has several chances to sell for really big bucks in the 80's, but it never set a record. Why "finally" the big difference at this time?

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
    sorry, several examples of OTHER coins selling for 400kplus in the mid-80's.

Collecting since 1976.
    The set registry man! imageimage I do think it is curious that PCGS created a double eagle St Gaudens set that includes this unique pattern coin and the 1933. I wonder if they are in the same collection?

Hmmmm..... interesting create a set that only one person on the planet could possibly complete.

Talk about the ultimate registry set!! I wonder if the J1776 and the 1933 reside in the same collection?
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the 1933 sold it was said it was the first numismatic purchase for the buyer. Doesn't sound like he/she would have both of these coins.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    Patterns are more accepted into the mainstream of coin collecting these days. The publicity and value of the 1933, which is hardly unique, has added allure to J-1776.

But the real reason is its old Judd number. 1776.... has a great ring to it - very famous, tho I can't recall why! image