Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Brazil coins & currency

Where is a good source to get Brazilian coins & currency,here in the USA?

Comments

• Try a search for Silver/ CN COINS: Phoenix Enterprises. Larry has some nice coins and is easy to deal with.
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    For older coins, eBay is a good source -- there are dealers in Brazil who sell coins there that are reliable and easy to deal with. I also see Brazilian coins fairly frequently at shows. Just be careful when buying sight-unseen, because there's a lot of cleaned and damaged coins out there.

If you're talking about current stuff, PM me and I'll see what I can do -- I go down there fairly often. image
  • Link for coinrookie

http://www.nomisma.com
    Corrupting youth since 2004
    imageimage They seem a bit pricey on some of the more common silver coins. Do they provide pictures?
  • Brazil is tough to find coins from that have not been cleaned. I have had to settle for a few that were dipped just to finish a set. Uncleaned original coins might be worth a modest premium over Krause

Mark

<< <i>Brazil is tough to find coins from that have not been cleaned. I have had to settle for a few that were dipped just to finish a set. Uncleaned original coins might be worth a modest premium over Krause

Mark >>

Very true, Mark -- I had to search just to find dealers in Brazil who don't clean their coins image And there's also a lot of original coins out there with just plain butt-ugly dark toning from the tropical climate. I have paid as much as twice the Krause value for nice looking original uncirculated coins, but never sight-unseen.

What kind of set did you put together? I'm working on a set of colonial 960 reis right now.

Chuck image
  • Actually all coins from Brazil post 1900 along with everthing else I still need a KM 514 and 513 1000 and 2000 reis to have all the silver

Mark
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    there is someone here on the foprum that lives in Brazil (Military man I believe) ask around maybe he can find some stuff for you without hurting your wallet.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray, I know who you mean. Retired Air Force guy. Lincoln Cent collector but I can't think of his name. . .

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    There are actually a couple of forum members in Brazil. Now, if I can only remember their names imageimage
  • Thanks for the information!!!
  • dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Dave (that's me!), the retired USAF guy living in Brazil. Always willing to help where I can. Tough to get uncleaned coins here as mentioned but certainly always worth a try. While I am retired, I do have another full time career so give me some time and please don't expect miracles!

Another resident Brazilian is EGSantos, an astute US collector.

Give either of us a shout if we can help you out.

And Ray, sure is good to have you back with us man! Suppose you have your CIB now? Take care all, Dave