Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Wanna have fun and make money on wax? Buy blowouts

At the Tristar I picked up a few boxes of 2001 UD Decade 70's for dirt cheap to throw in the store (we always need a few cheap wax products lying around). I couldn't resist opening a box after a long day Saturday. For the $20 I spent on the box I had a TON of fun. The cards are so tacky they're cool (just like the 70's were) and you have a chance to hit some outstanding cards. I had a long day Sunday too and had to open a second box, with just as much fun. (Inner thoughts: Ha-ha! Just like I've been accused of doing on these boards before, and like every single card store owner on the planet I just opened a few boxes of wax until I got the big hits and then sold the rest of the boxes which I absolutley knew were complete garbage. I know every insert that will be in the remaining boxes and now I can maximize profits by ripping off my customers. Bwoo-ha-ha! Bwoo-ha-ha! The Steve Garvey and Ron Santo Bat cards and Tug McGraw Jersey I got from the boxes are going to make me millions!) Sorry, just venting frustrations at the morons out there.

Back to my thread, these cards were great. The photos are unbeleivable, I checked a bunch of career stats of guys I never knew too much about (I can't beleive Jerry Koosman was supposed to be Nolan Ryan and Nolan Ryan was supposed to be Eddie Guardado as of 1968 and 1969, ironic), and with bargain boxes I'll easily double my money with a pair of bad boxes.

If you want my heads up as a dealer/inside source on some other great blowout buys where it would be difficult to lose money, go with

2003 Gridiron Kings FB :my roommate opened two boxes and got $300 worth from each box, they are on ebay well below initial factory cost

2001 UD Prospect Premieres: even if you get no AUTO you will have a ton of top prospects XRC's and a decent relic card usually. Get a clean Prior, Kotchman, or Jerome Williams AUTO and I'll be jealous, get one of the Jackie Robinson BuyBacks and you'll owe me half of the proceeds for this reccomendation

2003 SP AUthentic BB: I can't beleive how much they've dropped to in just the last month. Check out the AUTO list and the RC AUTO list of Matsui, Guillermo Quiroz who is selling over book, and even Contreras

03-04 Sweet Shot BK: From selling a ton of Basketball products this year, outside of the Bowman/Bowman Chrome this product produced the best value for the price. As a result the Bowman are about 70% higher than when they were released while the Sweet SHot are about 15% cheaper than when they were released. Don't fall for the odds on AUTO's, they state 1:24 on the packs but are more like 1:15 packs, with a few of my boxes producing 2 and even 3 AUTO's.

Just hope I can help. If anyone actually tests my reccomendations in the next few weeks, please post on this thread how you did both from a financial and pleasurable standpoint. Beachbum, you've got some money to spend on wax, buy a box of each and respond as your message boards class assignment, if you want me to grab you a box of each then let me know and I'll get them out to you for a small mark-up (I won't lie, ebay or Dave and Adam's would be cheaper than me probably, and faster).

Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com

Comments

• Hey thanks for the info...I'm always looking for a good way to turn a little profit on Ebay and have some fun at the same time.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Isn't the money made by selling the packs for retail at the shop level? If one is busting packs and selling on eBay...why have a shop?
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Collectors should never become dealers. I would never buy from a shop anyway, but if I know the
    guy is busting packs.. fuget aboud it.

Loves me some shiny!
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I understand some collectors have issues with dealers breaking boxes themselves, but nonetheless, thanks for the insight on these boxes kallmalonesay. I appreciate the heads up, especially on Sweet Shot Basketball, since I have had bad luck recently with Finite basketball.

Also, stay away from Donruss Timelines. I broke a box yesterday, and of the 4 autos per box, two of them were the same card - Jay Buhner. Jay Buhner!
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong w/ a dealer busting packs.
    Say a customer bought a box of said product, and now he wants to fill in the #'s. If the shop owner only has packs then the customer will get frustrated. Also many collectors just want Yankee Or Red Sox cards or cards of a Randy Johnson or a Steve Carlton, this way the dealer can offer boxes, packs & singles - then everybody's happy...jay

• My card shop owner doesn't touch any wax. When you sell wax and open some yourself you better not turn up with any decent cards or the rumors about you "searching" the wax will start flying. He does hand new boxes over the counter and let his "regulars" pick the packs they want whereas the people who come in once a month have to take the packs he hands you. That doesn't thrill me.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collectors should never become dealers >>

I'm not sure I understand this statement Carew? Isn't that like saying children should never become adults. Don't just about all dealers start as collectors and realize that they like it so much that they would like to make a living at it? Once a person gets involved heavily into collecting as a hobby the truth is that you Outgrow what a shop can afford to do for you - you start finding more economical ways of purchasing everything from toploaders to common fills - thanks in part to ebay. But, in fairness to all those who have shops, give them a break. Kuhlmann has more of a college shop that sells, as a sideline, cards - he's a businessman who is astute enough to pick up on the needs of an advancing collector and try to keep them shopping his way. Plus, he's extremely honest and generous. I get the feeling that a lot of people have been burned - that I can understand - but to indict an entire group is too sweeping - I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want someone, in a sweeping generalization, to indict you. I have read you input at other times and know this was not your intent.
    Mike
    Mike
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Great sources of blowout profits can be found with older Pacific products (e.g., 1999-2001) - even retail. It shouldn't take too much digging to find some of their packs that were originally $2.99 for 50 cents apiece or less. If you have a store, these packs can be turned around at a dollar each without too much trouble, or busted for the inserts and any valuable rookies.

BTW, Decade of the 70s has some fantastic relic cards, because of the large size of the pieces (especially when compared to '01 Prospect Premieres).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

• << <i>My card shop owner doesn't touch any wax. When you sell wax and open some yourself you better not turn up with any decent cards or the rumors about you "searching" the wax will start flying. He does hand new boxes over the counter and let his "regulars" pick the packs they want whereas the people who come in once a month have to take the packs he hands you. That doesn't thrill me. >>

Yeah, but what if the boxes that he sells unopened are from a case that he already cherry picked for the "case chase"? SP Legendary Cuts has one cut per case. He finds the card by box 3 or 4, and the rest of the unopened boxes become packs for the customers. Heck, he could even sell them as sealed boxes.

As for the dealer letting you pick the packs - If the box is already opened, how do you know that he didn't get the auto or refractor out of the box already? Just type in the keyword "GUARANTEED" on Ebay and you will see lots of guys selling packs with the auto or chase card guaranteed in the pack you purchase. It's very possible to sort out the chase card in a box based on what these guys know. I myself can't do it, but all a store needs is one customer to let him/her in on his little secret and your odds become less of pulling that big card when you buy packs.

Some of these guys selling "guaranteed packs" know when there is a Auto relic card even with odds of like 1:16,000 packs. Anything is possible. Card stores could be slick and keep their regular customers happy with good boxes that weren't searched, but it's the fly by night customers that miss out and just think they weren't lucky as usual.

This is just my personal opinion, so I do not mean to knock any one particular store. I just get all I want from Ebay. If I am looking for something, I usually find it on Ebay. I used to enjoy talking sports and cards with the card store owner, but that isn't worth any price. I can just come to the boards now. I have seen a few stores on this board offer boxes for a "great deal". I then look on Ebay and that same box ends for at least 20% less. Why pay a store?

And why is it fair for a card store to offer the customers like 30% ( if that) for their cards if the customer is interested in selling them? I know card stores need to make $$$ and pay their bills, but if they were so nice and honorable, they would tell the customers that they are sure that they could get much more on Ebay. I guy pays $100 for a pack of Prime Cuts, pulls a good auto, gets offered like 40% for the card, takes it like a moron, and then the dealer makes a good profit. That's not good business in my opinion. the store already made $$$ on the poor guy from buying the pack, then they lowball the buyer on his great pull. If the guy accept the $hitty offer, he must not be too knowledgable to begin with. that would mean that the store is more or less taking advantage of that.

In closing, I agree that I would never buy packs from a store that opens their own product. It's too fishy. The combination of opening your own product, Ebay buying/selling, and the need of a profit to keep your business running, is a terrible mix. I am sure that there is a lot of very honorable dealers out there, but there is a heck of a lot of scammers also. That's unfortunate.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Roach,

Couldnt agree with you more. I think the "Hobby" is going to leave the BnM (Brick and Mortar) shops in the near future. Gone are the days of going to the shop BSing with your friends, busting packs, and TRADING TRADING cards. (theres a concept) The big names (UD/Donruss etc) will not sell to "online" businesses. You need a BnM shop. Well I thought this was a good policy till I realized the BnM cost a HECK of a lot more money to run then what they use to, and they HAVE to pass it on to their customers. Their customers are no longer the teenage kids, but Joe investor, (no offense to some of you) looking ot make his buck.

How the heck is a "kid" today supposed to get into the hobby when he can barely afford a pack or two? What is the lowest SRP on a pack now adays? 1.99? 2.99? I tell you it sucks.

I "blame" it also on the price guides. How can you say you base your prices on what something was selling for if "most" people base their selling/purchasing on your advice? 3 months. Make it "illegal" to sell a pack/box for more then its SRP. Im trying to still figure out how people are permitted to "jack" the price on packs/boxes ASSUMING you will get something "worth" it. O you might pull an MJ limited edition pubic hair from the fllor of the Bulls Locker room, so the box it worth "X" dollars more. Bullcrap. The box it worth what the price of the box is worth, it is the card(s) you MAY pull that makes it so.

A dollar lottery ticket for a $10,000 high prize cost just the same as a lottery ticket for a $20 Million dollar prize.........

Sorry if it is incoherent and seems to be a rambling but it is.........Im new to the boards collected for a while (had to sell for financial reasons....damn X wife....) and trying to come back. It is a LOT different then it was 10 years ago.......

Nick I notice you mention Good prices on Pacific. I believe they are the only major manufacture that will sell to "online" stores. They are sending me out an application. This is of course to the Best of My knowledge since it did take them over two weeks to get abck to me after 3 emails........
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    One thing i do at my store when people want to sell cards is say i usually dont buy them. but i tell them i work ebay every night and i have great feedback. so istead of offering half book value from beckett or 20% like some dealers do. i say ill sell it for you on ebay( keep in mind these people dont know how to do ebay) and we split it 50/50 but i eat the fees and paypal fees and pay the taxes. so if it sells for 100 he gets 50$ i walk with around 40$ after fees. i print out the final bid and hand them the money when i get paid with the paperwork. works real well for me at my store.

Again though i am not a card shop mostly college products. www.gamedaylegends.com

<< <i>One thing i do at my store when people want to sell cards is say i usually dont buy them. but i tell them i work ebay every night and i have great feedback. so istead of offering half book value from beckett or 20% like some dealers do. i say ill sell it for you on ebay( keep in mind these people dont know how to do ebay) and we split it 50/50 but i eat the fees and paypal fees and pay the taxes. so if it sells for 100 he gets 50$ i walk with around 40$ after fees. i print out the final bid and hand them the money when i get paid with the paperwork. works real well for me at my store.

Again though i am not a card shop mostly college products. www.gamedaylegends.com >>

Hey that sounds GREAT. You are helping the hobby, the "little" guy and yourself. Everyone wins. Yet in my short time back you are a minority. Keep up the good work and I hope your customers appreciate you.

• << <i>One thing i do at my store when people want to sell cards is say i usually dont buy them. but i tell them i work ebay every night and i have great feedback. so istead of offering half book value from beckett or 20% like some dealers do. i say ill sell it for you on ebay( keep in mind these people dont know how to do ebay) and we split it 50/50 but i eat the fees and paypal fees and pay the taxes. so if it sells for 100 he gets 50$ i walk with around 40$ after fees. i print out the final bid and hand them the money when i get paid with the paperwork. works real well for me at my store.

Again though i am not a card shop mostly college products. www.gamedaylegends.com >>

You really get people that give you stuff to put on ebay AND are willing to pay you 50% commission. Incredible! Send them my way whenever you go on vacation. The 2 card shops in my area (Charlottesville, VA) are major sellers on ebay (6,900+ & 17,000+ positives) and they ONLY charge 18-20%. I'll never give them any $$$$ to put stuff on for me, I'll just rely on my own feedback. If it costs me a buck here and there, so be it. I just find the 50% very excessive and taking advantage of ebay "dummies".
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
    Not really Raider. Depends on how he handles it. Right now Im hoping to "close a deal" with someone that has an almost complete set of Callahan HOFs. I have explained to her the "ins and outs". Even if a card is WORTH $500 you may not get $500. There is a lot of stuff you have to factor in. That is what "costs". I would assume kuhlmann takes the time to explain stuff with regards to grading, non-grading, market value, what to expect etc. He is providing a "full service" and if the customer decides to do it on his or her own kuhlmann gets nothing while the customer "gets" the knowledge. This is of course specualtion on my part and the way Im doing things. Most people look at it as hey kuhlmann is being straight forward and doing all the "leg" work.

Also with kuhlmann getting a "bigger" cut you THINK he would do his best at getting a better price.

Its not like he is saying o I will give you $20 for that lot of worthless cards when they are really worth $1000.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2 card shops in my area (Charlottesville, VA) are major sellers on ebay (6,900+ & 17,000+ positives) and they ONLY charge 18-20%. I'll never give them any $$$$ to put stuff on for me, I'll just rely on my own feedback. If it costs me a buck here and there, so be it. I just find the 50% very excessive and taking advantage of ebay "dummies". >>

Good assessment Aknot - Chris Kuhlmann is very honest and would not take advantage of anyone - and by the way, I do not sell on ebay and have offered trade buddies here 50% to handle something that may be hot - they have to take the time to appropriately scan it and list it to sell. I understand the incredulity of Raiderscott but in deference to Kuhlmann, those two shops are big dealers who may have someone to slamdunk them in with the rest of their stuff and in that case 20% may be fair but what Kuhlmann is doing is also very fair - these may not be ebay dummies and just people trying to sell cards and are not sure how to do it.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
    Raider I have read my post and it may seem like I might be "attacking/challengeing" you. It is not meant to be this way and I apologize if it does seem that way. It is hard to convey thought/feelings via the keyboard and sometimes I come over a bit strong.
  • raiderscottraiderscott Posts: 154 ✭✭

<< <i>Raider I have read my post and it may seem like I might be "attacking/challengeing" you. It is not meant to be this way and I apologize if it does seem that way. It is hard to convey thought/feelings via the keyboard and sometimes I come over a bit strong. >>

Aknot, I don't considered what you said to be attacking/challenging me. I consider it to be good healthy, spirited discussion. I think its good that Kuhlmann is helping out his customers- I was just focusing on the 50% commision part (maybe too much), which might be unfair on my part. I'm not accusing Kulhmann of being unethical or anything, maybe that's the going "ebay rate" where he lives. So I might be comparing apples and oranges.

Anyway, Aknot glad to see that you found your way to this board just as I did a few months ago. Its highly informative. My available funds are quite what they used to be (1 1/2 year old boy & 3 1/2 year old girl) so I get to live vicariously through someone else's pulls, BUT when the funds start going up again I'll have a good knowledge on where I can take my collection.
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
    Good enough Raider,

See if you came to him you would already have "market knowledge" and (again me assuming) he would probably inform you it would be best if you handled everything just giving you a few pointers to help out.

I look at it as Im doing everything as they were my cards. So I have to take the time and "grade" them to see if they are worth grading, if they are worth selling at a set price or a "get what you can", go look for a private buyer if its that good a item, or ebay it etc. Then go back to the "customer" tell them what I think and then let them know what their options are. And do as they say.

When you deal with a card shop most times (I THINK) they will just "put it on ebay" and get a cut. Again I have been out of the loop for awhile and Im just speculating...... image I do not think they would put the effort into it as some like K or myself and Im sure others would. They may not have the time. (probably the biggest reason) as it does take a little time as I have found out with these Callahans I may be getting.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Raiderscott

To defend my self on my 50% charge. Is i get a couple people come in say they dont do ebay they went to 2 other card shops about 20 miles from my COLLEGE STORE not a CARD SHOP!! and the guys at the cards shop are offering them nothing on there cards or completely trying to rip them off. i say to them what i can do for you is sell them on ebay and we split it. bc most card shops only give like 20-25% of low book value. i take card of all the work the fees taxes etc.. selling at 20% wouldnt be worth the time to sell it ship it drive to post office etc.. we all know ebay along with paypal takes 10% or over after all said and done.

So i believe i am being fair. i print out what it sells for and give them the cash with it. if the other shops arent buying then how are they going to sell the cards? I think it is fair.especially when im not a card shop.

I have sold a couple of cards for people that got double what a card shop offered them after i took my half. I have great feedback and a bunch of repeat buyers. And im always here to help anybody, even on line if you need something im glad to help. just ask a couple of guys on here.

• << <i> And im always here to help anybody, even on line if you need something im glad to help. just ask a couple of guys on here. >>

That's a fact. he's already been incredibly kind to me on one deal and tried to take care of another purchase that I was looking to make. Not to mention that he's nice enough to help walk my wife through her fantasy baseball team anytime she (or I) has emailed him. Class act all the way.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If he tells someone he will take 50% of the gross sale, and they decide they would rather do that than list it themselves, what is the problem?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • There's no problem, I guess I'm just amazed that people would piss $$$$ away instead of putting a little effort into learning about something- (ebay in this case). So congrats to you Kuhlmann.

<< <i>There's no problem, I guess I'm just amazed that people would piss $$$$ away instead of putting a little effort into learning about something- (ebay in this case). So congrats to you Kuhlmann. >>

Yeah that sometimes amazes me. I mean even when you explain how "easy" it is they do not want to be bothered. I figure people hear the "horror" stories about getting ripped off and the such and feel safer.

Just found out yesterday my supervisor has a bunch of binded Pokemon cards that his daughter collected. He said if I Ebayed them I could take %50. He said he had a few "bad" expierences (dont we all) on Ebay and doesnt want to deal with it anymore. Go figure.