I don't think it's a Doubled Die. While the date clearly looks to be doubled, you would expect to also see comparable doubling on LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST.
It is very possible to have doubling that shows mainly on the date. It is supposed to be impossible to have hub doubling on modern coins, but this idea has been nixed with the discovery of a couple of different doubled dies minted during the "single squeeze" years, so it is entirely possible that a doubled die could exist from 2004.
As for the images, it is too difficult with those images to tell 100%, but from what I can see, I see a doubled die. It could well be something else, but it does not appear to be mechanical doubling. I would like very much to be able to see this one closer up.
shanks82, Looks like a doubled die to me also...I hope that it is. From what I can tell it looks like the secondary is smaller than the primary...this would be class 3 I believe...I HOPE IT IS. This is what makes coin collecting fun...when you find it and least expect it.
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5
"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
Comments
42/92
Nice way to start another run on the pennies...
My Coin Website
My Professional Website
Free Trial
Aside from that, I can't explain it definitively.
Byron
My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
John
myurl
As for the images, it is too difficult with those images to tell 100%, but from what I can see, I see a doubled die. It could well be something else, but it does not appear to be mechanical doubling. I would like very much to be able to see this one closer up.
The Lincoln cent store:
http://www.lincolncent.com
My numismatic art work:
http://www.cdaughtrey.com
USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
I don't see anything other than on the date.
We need a good high resolution close-up image of the date.
My Coin Website
My Professional Website
Free Trial
<< <i>What do you think? >>
I think I need to start looking for 2004 cents. Nice find.
Ken
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5
"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22