Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2004 Kennedy Halves....1st impressions??

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
I checked out a couple hundred of both P and D's today and I saw a reversal of last year. The D's where much better quality than the P's. Anyone else see this trend?? The P's were very weak strikes. The D's were an avg. of 65 with much better strikes. Any other experiences??

M.

Comments

  • Options
    I looked through a bunch of mint rolls so far, at least 15, and there were a lot of weak strikes and, not surprisingly, lots of marks. That is not so unususal. But in some rolls I noticed quite a bit of fine grime/dirt and what appeared to be oil or water spots on the surfaces of the coins.

    I was not impressed, and am preparing to put hundreds of coins in general circulation at restaurants. I'm saving but a handful for my business strike collection, and have found only two or three that would merit slabbing -- and even that's a stretch, 'cause I have condition OCD. (The rest of my rolls go into the coinbox -- I don't even open the white box from the Mint!)
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

    image
  • Options
    Manorcourtman, I have gone through the best part of a bag and seem to be seeing the same as you are.....Ken
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭
    I've seen the same. P-Mint weakly struck, loads of marks, D mint, highly lusterous, probably 1-2 points higher on average. I went through 2 rolls each and sent 2 P and 3 D mint coins for grading. Selling many raw pairs on e-bay, and I pulled about 25% of the P mint and 1 D mint for spending... would be embarassed to sell those as unc.

    E-bay auctions of raw closing as I type.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file