Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1958 Topps Question.

Hello everyone,

Before I begin I want to thank everyone for their help in answering my difficult question.

Can someone post a list of what the rarest/hardest to attain 1958 Topps cards?

My dad is busy working on this set, and I want to give him a hand on these rare cards so he knows what to look for. Here is a link to his collection so far.

Again, thank you!
Jeff

Link to my dad's '58s

Comments

• Options
    By far the hardest to obtain are the yellow letter/name variations in the low # cards. I think these cards are the toughest post war cards to obtain in the hobby. Some examples (almost impossible cards!)....

#2 Bob Lemon yellow team variation - pop report shows 7 psa 6's, 7 psa 7's, and only 3 psa 8's, nothing higher. I consider Bob Lemon a star and to have such a low pop of this card shows you have tough putting together a Master set is. Would be amazed to see what this card would sell for in PSA 8 or even PSA 7

Other yellow variations that have pop less than 10 in PSA 8 include...

#8 Kasko
    #11 Rivera
    #13 Hoeft
    #20 McDougald
    #20 Tuttle

and the list goes on...

get my drift... and to throw in the fact that the top sets on the registry already have some of these tucked away makes acquiring them nearly impossible

Other non low # cards without variation that are tough to obtain in psa 8 (and PSA 7 for some!) include:

#239 Chuck Stobbs
    #256 White Sox Team
    #207 Solly Hemus
    #243 Larry Raines
    #283 Shearer
    #286 Cimoli
    #312 Red Sox Team
    #323 Elmer Valo
    #355 Bruton
    #392 Daniels
    #409 Thomas
    #429 Triandos
    #450 Ward
    #462 Geiger
    #472 Jay

Now for the world-class cards in the master set....these cards in any PSA grade are rare!

Pancho Hererra error card #433- only 11 ever graded (there is one PSA 8, and 2 PSA 7's out there!)
    #408 Orioles team numerical checklist (variation)
    #397 Detroit Tigers numerical
    #377 Braves Numerical

Good Luck

Rob
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    RG - don't forget that the pop report may be wrong in that variation cards may not have been labeled as such (or vice versa).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    NickM hit it on the nail. I own this "mistake":

-mark
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    are those actual creases in the lemon card?!?!?!??!?!?!

loth
  • Options
    nope - just a couple of tiny cracks in the holder image

-mark
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baseballjeff said:
    Hello everyone,

Before I begin I want to thank everyone for their help in answering my difficult question.

My dad is busy working on this set, and I want to give him a hand on these rare cards so he knows what to look for. Here is a link to his collection so far.

Again, thank you!
    Jeff

Link to my dad's '58s

Hi Jeff, I know this is a very old post I'm responding to. I am a 1958 Topps baseball card collector/enthusiast about 80% completed with my psa graded set that I've been assembling for years. The link to your dad's 58's was not available when I clicked on it. I was just curious what came about of it and to input any info on this set if you still need any.

Robert

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@baseballjeff said:
    Hello everyone,

Again, thank you!
    Jeff

Link to my dad's '58s

Hi Jeff, I know this is a very old post I'm responding to. I am a 1958 Topps baseball card collector/enthusiast about 80% completed with my psa graded set that I've been assembling for years. The link to your dad's 58's was not available when I clicked on it. I was just curious what came about of it and to input any info on this set if you still need any.

Robert

Hello Robert,

Long time ago! Wow!

My dad did complete the set, but he has since broke the set up and worked on other sets that he enjoyed!

80% you are doing it! Keep up the great work. I don't recall the big obstacles, but I know the Pancho card was/is always a tough one.

Good luck!
    Jeff

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baseballjeff said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@baseballjeff said:
    Hello everyone,

Again, thank you!
    Jeff

Link to my dad's '58s

Robert

Hello Robert,

Long time ago! Wow!

My dad did complete the set, but he has since broke the set up and worked on other sets that he enjoyed!

80% you are doing it! Keep up the great work. I don't recall the big obstacles, but I know the Pancho card was/is always a tough one.

Good luck!
    Jeff

Thanks Jeff! And yes, that Pancho Herrera error card (missing the A in Herrera) is a toughie. I've seen it appear on Ebay a few times the past few years. Very expensive error card! It will likely be one of, if not, the final card I get for this set. The yellow version cards are tough as well, I have about half of those. I have 16 of the 33. Thanks for the response Jeff!

Robert

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

For those viewing that don't know what the Herrera card looks like:

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

....or, there is the many faces version