Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first Saint!

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had never owned a Saint Gaudens 20$ before. Dont really know why but I just hadnt found one that was exceptional enough for my picky taste. This one fit the bill! They really are an amazing coin.

Just wanted to share. I picked the date because of it being the year my grandfather was born. He just passed away last month and while no piece of gold can ever take his place, it will be another remembrance of him when looking at my coins.

Hope that you enjoy it. It is as he was; in my eyes, nearly perfect...

Very respectfully,
John

image
imageimage




Comments

  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    VERY nice!
  • Options
    WOW - Very nice!
  • Options
    Simply breathtaking!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    Are you planning on getting every coin from 1925?
    GottaGetCoins

    Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • Options
    Nice coin. Must be nice to have the funds to purchase these type coins?image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys. I am not planning on getting every coin. Actually I think that there is only one more gold coin and that is the 25-D 2.5$

    I am planning on getting a 20 lib dated 1898. That was the date of my great grandmothers birth. She died in 1996 at age 98. She was the mother of the grandfather that I was talking about in the post. I grew up with her on the farm and was very close with her.

    Some people think it sounds strange to collect (some) coins by date that way. But to me, coins are a remembrance of Americana, and people are what make this country so great. Without them, this country would be nothing. To me, my grandparents represent what this country was founded on, farming. That is what almost all of our ancestors were: farmers. They built this country into what it is today; a symbol of freedom and righteous power.

    To me, that is what I think of when I see a 20$ gold piece. I see America's strength and wealth and economic prosperity. My grandfather represented a part of that prosperity that began with Virgina planters, Pennsylvania farmers and New England fisherman and to remember him with a symbol our country seems fitting and proper.

    V.r,
    John
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, John. Sorry about your grandfather, but I am glad that you have found a fitting remembrance.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Constellatio,

    It is nice to have those kind of funds. I hope that you dont think that they were given to me on a silver spoon however. I worked my butt of in high school, went through four years of pain and sacrifice at Annapolis, and am still studying and working hard in order to make decent money.

    I also dont really have any debt which makes a huge difference.

    I remember vividly my mother and father not having any work. I remember the milk pasteurizer going constantly processing the milk from the one cow that we had on the farm to sell to the locals that did have money. I remember making homemade ice cream and butter for the same. I remember not having very much and I dont want to go back to that. And I also recall that the only way that my family has ever made any money was through land and numismatics. The farm I talk about was bought with coins. It was sold for cash and part of that money went back into coins.

    So, indirectly, coins kept our family afloat through hard times. I believe in coins and I have done well with them the same way my dad did.
    I deal on the side but I am not an investor. Still am and always will be a collector...

    And believe me when I say this, I find a beautiful XF original barber half dollar just as beautiful as that saint...

    Many people say this is the hobby of kings, but what is so great about it is that you dont have to be a king to have a kingly collection.

    John
  • Options
    coinlieutenant, I was not implying anything negative of your funds and how you earned them. I'm sorry if you felt that I was attacking you! It certainly was not meant that way.

    Jim
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

    Didnt think that was where you were going, but didnt know if anyone else might take it that way...

    V.r,
    John
  • Options
    No problem!!! I too purchase nice coins and work very hard to come up with the funds for my hobby.

    Jim
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Awesome coin!

    I just bought my first St. Gaudens a few days ago, and think I caught St. Gaudens Flu. Not sure if I'll get over it.

    Great scoreimage
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John: That's a very "Saintly" Saint. Starting out with an MS-66 is a top notch way to go! That's a very beautiful Saint, which is one of my favorite coin designs... imageimageimage

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing about the Saints is that the MS61's and MS60's are rarer than MS63 to 64's by far. While I love the look of MS66 and 67 Saints I don't think they offer the value or potential of the MS65's.
    There are many very PQ MS65's just as nice as your generic 66. Same goes for PQ66's looking as nice as generic 67's.

    Saints are a good place to be right now and that 66 is a knockout.
    But I think top notch 65's in the generic dates are a better play both short and long term. 66's seem more available than nice 65's at the moment. Speculators don't want to pay the additional premium for the MS66 at the moment.

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing about the Saints is that the MS61's and MS60's are rarer than MS63 to 64's by far.

    It may be that the lower MS Saints just do not end up in slabs. Instead, they sit in 2x2's in dealer cases marked MS-65 and are not so rare after all!
  • Options
    Very nice coin. What you have is an old timey MS65 but now you have to buy MS66 to get one. I've seen lots of MS65's all banged up. I showed an old timer some MS65 PCGS Saints and he graded them AU ! Because of grade inflation the true great performance of coins is masked. 25 years ago if you bought a "gem" Saint it might grade MS67 today.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Very nice coin. What you have is an old timey MS65 but now you have to buy MS66 to get one. I've seen lots of MS65's all banged up. I showed an old timer some MS65 PCGS Saints and he graded them AU ! Because of grade inflation the true great performance of coins is masked. 25 years ago if you bought a "gem" Saint it might grade MS67 today. >>




    Wow, you remember? That's really true. We used to say that real 65's were worth a couple grand in real money. That was a long time ago. That standard of grading actually cuts my own ability to buy coins nowadays. But it is what it is.

    However, this one is still a really nice coin by yesterdays and todays standards.

    Good purchase!

    Rgrds
    TP image
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Nice coin John and great post!
  • Options
    John, Respect for your Grandfather, that is great. And the coin you selected, that is also great. Were you specifically looking for a 1925 or was it a fortuitous purchase. The reason I am asking is that 1925 Saints rarely possess the opulence of your coin. It is somewhat easier to find that beauty in a 1923-D, 1927 or 1928.
    And coltgus I couldn't agree with you more. Lately I have seen far too many MS65 graded Saints from both PCGS and NGC and even sometimes MS66's which simply put do not merit 65 grades. Many are indeed banged up and often lack lustre. When looking for a 65, I'll sometimes go through two dozen or more coins just to see one or two nice examles.

    image
  • Options
    Good choice John, many colletors that believe in a coming inflation period are going this way. These coins offer a double edged potential. Good time to build a set of the more common dates.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrearlygold,coltgus, what and others:

    Thanks for the compliments. I dont remember the old grading standard as I am only 27 but I can say that I agree that many saints are very boring... That is why I suppose it took a 66 to catch my eye

    Tom,
    image

    Gold saint,

    Not planning on buying any other saints. Got that just based on the date and my grandfather's birthyear. Possibly might get a 1924 which is my grandmothers birth year. That will about do it for Saints and I will get back into early/proof gold.

    I think that Saints are gorgeous but to me nothing compares to something like these two which are my two favorite in the collection:

    image
    image
  • Options
    Wow - simply beautiful! Congrats! image
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And believe me when I say this, I find a beautiful XF original barber half dollar just as beautiful as that saint...


    John,

    Great coin, but give me a break! A XF Barber half is okay, but it really is NOT as beautiful as that MS66 Saint whopper you have posted.....actually, it wouldn't even hold a candle to it. That's an empirical fact. I've got the statistics to prove it.

    image
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Stunning coins and a great post!
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SS,

    I know that it sounds crazy but I am dead serious.

    There are alot of people on here with tremendous collections, Cardinal, TDN, and others but if I were to sit down and rank the top five collections on this board, I would say that ARCO is in the top five and all he has is one of the prettiest sets of coins that I have ever seen. He has a complete set of Barber Halves that look like the below. To me, that is just as hard or harder to find in that original condition as a MS66 Saint. To me, it truly is just as beautiful... I may not fit into the empirically gathered beauty study, but to me it really is on par with a high grade saint, and blows a common 63/64 out of the water!

    Forgive me Tyler for using your image!!

    image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, okay. That's why the hobby is so fun for so many people.

    But I tend to go just by sheer eye appeal, and that Saint leaps out and says, "LOOK AT ME!!" while the Barber says, "please kind Sir take a glance over here when you have a moment."

    Those Barbers are known for being polite.


    image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see your point...

    To me, the saint is a high maintenance blonde that looks great from the outside but really doesnt have much upstairs...

    The XF barber half is the confident, pretty brunette in the corner that if shown some affection will surprise you with wit , intelligence and experience.

    While both are attractive, the brunette is my choice every day of the week! Except maybe on a late drunken Friday evening.. image


    Pls note: Apologies to any very intelligent blondes out there for the obvious stereotype. Dont blame me. It all started with James Fennimore Cooper. Blame him. image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John,

    It's true, the blonde Saint isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer....she can't really compete with the 19th Century experience of the Barber.....

    Fortuntaly, you're obviously a Coin Pimp and have both at your beck and call.


    image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL!!

    I've never been called a coin pimp before...

    The good side of me says "how dare he call me a coin pimp?"

    while the bad side says, "I like the sound of that, yeah, I really do..."

    image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭


    << <i>LOL!!

    I've never been called a coin pimp before...

    The good side of me says "how dare he call me a coin pimp?"

    while the bad side says, "I like the sound of that, yeah, I really do..."

    image >>



    Hahahahahah!

    image
  • Options
    Gold Plunge Alert : 396 Now and dropping like a rock
    Gold Plunge Alert : 396 Now and dropping like a rock
    Gold Plunge Alert : 396 Now and dropping like a rock
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭


    << <i> Gold Plunge Alert : 396 Now and dropping like a rock
    Gold Plunge Alert : 396 Now and dropping like a rock
    Gold Plunge Alert : 396 Now and dropping like a rock >>




    So what?


    TP image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file