Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

blank penny planchets

image Hello all,
I found three blank penny planchets in my Grandfathers lot of coins. Does anyone one know how they get out of the mint without a strike on them? What kind of value do they hold? Do people collect them? Are they considered error coins? Just curious I found this rather interesting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks snapmohr

Comments

  • Options
    I've seen rolls at coin shows I think they were selling for $3.00 ea.
  • Options
    They make it out from time to time... I have a few and they can be found for about $2.00 +/- around here... I'd hold on to them... image
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192 ✭
    I have 2 I found in OBW rolls. One is a 1991 blank... the other I forget the date, doh!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

    When the metal is punched out of the strip it's referred to as a type 1 planchet. These
    are then forced between two rollers which reduces their diameter and pushes up a little
    extra metal arond the edges which go to form the rim. These are referred to as type 2
    planchets. All type one planchets are more valuable than the type twos. The steel cent
    planchets are the most valuable followed by the zinc then the bronze. Bronze type 2's
    will generally go between about $1 and $3.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Thanks cladking! I never knew that stuff about the planchets.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Thanks for the infoimage and also all the welcome aboard messages ... I feel so lovedimage
    Mine must be the type 2
    Thanks again
    snapmohr
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file