Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$36,201 for a 1910 s Lincoln Cent


It was graded as ms 67 red by ICG

And what's more amazing is that PCGS crossed the coin !!!


Stewart Blay

Comments

  • Options
    Sounds like the buyer had a guarantee that the coin would cross. I don't care how nice the coin looks, no one in their right mind (no one who didn't have money to burn, that is) would take that kind of risk.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MY COMMENT FROM THE REGISTRY BOARD THREAD ON THE SAME SUBJECT:


    IMHO,

    The 1910(s) in PCGS-MS67RD sold under where it would have sold in a Heritage sale (ex: $32k+ for a pop 3 1930(s) cent recently). The coin is easily a $40k+ in this market (true - seller would have only netted around 85% of the Heritage sell price, so he did fine as well). I tried to get a customer of mine to step up to that level, but, it was just bad timing to commit the funds. I tip my hat to the (2) bidders at around $36k each as they had both "balls' and knowledge/skill of the true market for this coin. I am also quite content with the PQ MS66RD of this date I placed in my set for under $3,500 - I LOVE THE UNDERGRADE COINS AT 1/10 THE PRICE!! But, ifI was a player for a top Lincoln set (which luckily I am not), this coin would have been a "must win" for me at under the $40k level.

    Wondercoin



    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Do we know if PCGS crossed the coin or was it cracked and submitted raw?

  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Sounds like the buyer had a guarantee that the coin would cross. I don't care how nice the coin looks, no one in their right mind (no one who didn't have money to burn, that is) would take that kind of risk. >>



    It was already in the PCGS holder when it sold for $36,201. It was purchased by the seller for less than $3k when it was in the ICG holder.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    t was already in the PCGS holder when it sold for $36,201. It was purchased by the seller for less than $3k when it was in the ICG holder.

    What a steal!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Crack it out. Sell it at a large venue Raw and call it MS67 and make no mention of any grading co. and see what it sells for.

    That would be interesting.
  • Options
    Title of thread and first post is extremely misleading if it was already in the PCGS holder when sold.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Title of thread and first post is extremely misleading >>



    Of course. Look who posted it.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474 ✭
    After reading just your comments,I'm imageimage PCGS crossed an ICG coin.I didn't think that possible.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $36,000? Forget the upside, it's a long way down from here. Yowser!

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    At that price, what would a NGC 66 red be worth in todays market. Just wondering, because I have one. [bought from David Lawrence]. Steve

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file