Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Feb. 27th SCD

I've got my new SCD copy in front of me. I know that everyone wants us to eat light and keep trim and all that - who put SCD on a Diet? Geez, it's only 88 pages! Just messin around - but it's a shame - just can't get excited about it like I used to. Anyone:?
Mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    I was a long time SCD subscriber and fan but cancelled my subscription last year. It went from 250+ pages to barely 80 in some issues.

I'd love to see the magazine regain its importance to collectors. How can they improve?

Offer more exclusive and in depth articles. About set collectors, the state of the hobby, collecting memories as a kid, dealer profiles, in depth analysis of major auctions. It was becoming too general and generic.

On the advertising side of the business, there's still alot of collectors who aren't into the internet and Ebay. Maybe the economics of the magazine business don't allow for lower ad rates, but ads have to make sense for dealers.

You wonder what the paper will look like in 5 years.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheCARDKid
    I'm a long time collector and I'm HERE and so are you - this medium has taken the sting outa SCD - also, as you said - are they "in touch" with the average collector - there was a reader response a few weeks back where a person gave a scathing, sarcastic review (albeit disserving) of an article about a really rich Dr. who only bought the best - this person could not connect with the collector or the article - that's the problem - he wanted something more pedestrian - he could relate more if one of us with a modest collection of cards/memorabilia was also highlighted - I'm always in awe at the National when they highlight fantastic stuff but no one wants to feel like it is being shoved in front of you - if you know what I mean - seeing the T206 PSA 8 Wagner in Atlanta was nice but it's getting to the point where it seems like some people have more money than brains when it comes to collectible purchases - it has relegated the little guy to an observor! Is this too much - feel like I'm getting 'gemmy10' disease.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    They could do a couple things.

1) Get rid of T.J Schwartz (or is he in Tuff Stuff?)
    2) I agree with the other poster re: the articles. They should hire KallMaloneSay, or someone like him, to write up monthly updates on the hottest prospects in baseball, along with a realistic overview of where the prices of their cards are at. More talk about what's currently going on in the hobby, and less fluff.
    3) Do something about the ads. Raise the newsstand price, cut staff salaries, whatever--- I can't bear thumbing through 70 consecutive pages of ads hawking overpriced SLU's, 1991 Donruss factory sets, and signed game balls. Are there really still guys out there who buy this stuff from these advertised dealers?

As an aside, one thing Beckett should do is start a magazine devoted exclusively to articles. I don't buy Beckett because I'm not shelling out 20 bucks a month for all four issues (5, I guess, counting the vintage issue) when 90% of the mag is dedicated to those embarrassing price guides. What Beckett should do-- and I'm serious about this-- is promise the reader that they can locate a dealer who will pay 50% of their low column for any cards listed. If they can't do this, then they have to buy it from you. I get tired of being told that NM-Mt '89 Fleer Ripken's are worth 75 cents. I know it's not true, and you know it, but the poor sap who picks up a copy to draw a bead on the value of his childhood collection has no idea. If the price guide is worthless-- and who's going to dispute that?-- , and if Beckett isn't serious about improving it, then get rid of it. Or at least bring out a magazine that doesn't contain it.
  • Options
    That'd be a great proposition for Beckett. If they can find a dealer paying 37.5 cents for an 1989 Fleer Ripken, more power to them image

SCD had an amazing run in the 80's and 90's. This is a great opportunity to regroup and find a new focus in the internet age. Stone 193, I agree SCD may have gotten too caught up in the excitment of high dollar collections and left "the little die hard" collectors wanting more.

What does Tuff Stuff look like now? I haven't bought a copy of that in 10 years. Remember Sports Card Trader and those other newstand magazines?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I thought I was the only one who was very disappointed in the "new" SCD. I was a long time subscriber a decade or so ago, and resubscribed last year after getting a free copy at a show. It seems as if there is no editorial content at all in the magazine, and very few articles at all. Mostly ads, mostly from the same dealers selling the same crap week after week. I thought its saving grace might have been the show guide, but many major (and minor) shows seem to not be listed in there either.

One of their best recent features was a series of short interviews with collectors that were obtained on the show circuit (various shows). It gave a nice perspective on how different people view the changing landscape of the hobby. I think that ran 6 months ago.

And, finally, I have had enough of those stupid Mr. Mint ads...that one of him with his tongue on the pole almost caused me to lose my lunch.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    There was a real good article in this week's SCD on a gentleman getting 2 1/2 hours of access to Burdick's card collection at the national museum.

However, I agree that the magazine is not where it could be, but I still enjoy thumbing through it.

They may want to consider packing more into a bi-weekly publication instead of weekly.

My biggest problem is that there's too much autograph ads and information in comparison to cards. Who are these "Miller Boys"? and do they know that the picture of them from the 1980s is not of Robin Roberts but Harmon Killebrew.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    It seems like a large chunk of SCD now is about auctions, be it the large ads from Mastro, Lelands, Rob Lifson, Gray Flannel and so on. Then they have articles about the advertisers latest auctions, w/ rundowns of the higher sold items. Which of course is like an advertisement to, recapping the se events.
    Now theres a bunch of ads w/ forms of their new bat grading authentication service. And if its true that SCD is no longer grading cards, at least we wont see those mammoth head shots of Larry & Jeff Fritsch holding up their Aaron & Mantle rookies...jay
  • Options
    I went ahead and let my subscription lapse. Takes a maximum ten minutes to thumb through. I used to love looking at SCD and would go back to it four or five times before I put it in the closet. Just isn't worth my time or money to bother with it anymore.

Quality cards - Amen to the ads featuring Larry and his son. Will not miss seeing those full color ads anymore.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    jaybyrd
    As a side note, I suckered myself into taking Tuff Stuff this year - I had let that lapse - gave me a free auto pic - well some of SCD articles are cannibalized for Tuff Stuff. Also, TJ Schwartz was mentioned - he has the column "On your side" - well either he's not getting any play or decided to make it his own spin zone but he writes an ENTIRE thing on why he hates Pete "I didn't bet on" Rose! How is that being on MY side? You all have raised great points - I wonder if the guys at Krause and their group which I affectionately call the mutual admiration society are listening or are they out of touch?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Will not miss the Mr. Mint fan club either which is the entire editorial staff.
  • Options
    jaybyrd
    Have you ever met Mr "I'm special" Mint? I thought I was talking to Royalty - this was at the National - then years later, saw him at a show at Hofstra U., Long Island - he was getting ZERO play - all alone at the table - can't say I felt sorry for him.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    From the ads in the SCD, you would think that Mr. Mint is one happy jolly guy. Nothing could be furhter from the truth. Rosen is definitely one of the unfriendliest and surliest dealers at any show.

• Options
    I guess he still advertises in the SCD to keep his ego inflated or he just likes seeing his picture in print.

I have seen him at shows twice. At the National in Atlanta he had a booth setup where he was signing and selling copies of his book. Not a card in sight, nor was he buying any. Who does this think he is .. . Mel Gibson.
  • Options
    Hi
    I would like to take the time to update what is truly interesting with SCD - the Nov 26th issue is only 68 pages! Now, smaller issues even happened during the boom - the Aug 7, 1992 issue with Shaq on the cover was only 124 pages but back then a lot of the issues were in the 200 pages arena.
    I even went as far as to email a link with the comments that were made last time about SCD and I don't even know if they even addressed it. I believe the opinions expressed in a forum like this one are quite valid, reliable and representative of the hobby at large.
    Reasons for the decline probably coincide with the growth of ebay and go from there. Another thing is the fact that there are less vendors and more ads about auctions which is like singing to the choir IMO.
    I know this is nothing big and a lot of people here do not even subscribe - just thought I would bring this up.
    After all, there is just so far we can go with Room222!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    I, too, was a longtime subscriber but within the past few years I found it would take me like 15 minutes to flip thru the pages. It just didn't make sense for me to shell out the cash when I spend more time reading these boards then I do the magazine.

My thought is that SCD should just stop releasing the paper version and concentrate its efforts on a web based "paper". They could lower their costs and reach folks in a way that other sports mags don't. Plus add links to other sites/articles etc.

I predict if they don't move to the net, their paper will not be arriving at any more doorsteps within 3 years.

68 pages - what a joke!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they lost thier shirts on the card grading and are running a little lean now ?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe they lost thier shirts on the card grading and are running a little lean now ? >>

dt
    I have been a continual subscriber since 1992 and the thing that drives the bus for them is advertising.
    The number of advertisers has dropped immensely over the years and that is the revenue that makes them fly. A full page is like 800$ - and there are less and less loyal takers.
    Many of my favorite vendors are long gone but many now are on ebay - and this phenomenon is not rate limiting - as the ads drop, so do the articles and stuff. They have tried adding a page solely relating to the average collector but I think the damage may have been done.
    I think many people would rather talk here and post their items for discussion than read a scanty publication which seems to "sing to the choir" every week with countless auctions and ads for shows that most of us will never go to on a regular basis. And what ads are there have, with respect to ebay, what may appear to be rip off prices.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I feel bad that hobby publications are on the decline, but how can you expect people to pay for the privilege of looking at pages of ads of the same modern junk and very little informative content. Beckett has fewer ads, but it's a basically sea of new card listings (count how many pages are devoted just to 2004's endless parallels, variations and inserts) and breathless announcements of new product for young teens to go buy at Wal-Mart.

SMR has its faults, such as some listed values having more relevance on Jupiter than here on planet Earth, but it's almost the only thing left for vintage collectors. It certainly is more likely to have something interesting to read than anything else I know of. I wish it didn't have to resort to features on hot blonde softball pitchers, but at least it didn't show Jenny Finch scantily clad like another hobby pub I could name.
  • Options
    I really think SCD should be issued once a month,or even every 2 weeks. I was a subscriber for many years, but stopped when the issues started to go below 100 pages. It would be nice to see the magazine do well, but I think they really need an overhaul.
  • Options
    Metsfan is right. SCD needs to consider going monthly. I recently let my suscription lapse for many of the same reasons previously posted. Also, if SCD wants to be taken seriously again, they need to drop the card grading. Untouched fever, don't catch it!
  • Options
    Thye no longer grade cards.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for those of us that still subscribe and read SCD we will probably have to endure Mr. Mint's mugg plastered on full page ads each week until the end of time. Krause (SCD) caters to Rosen because he spends large amounts of money in advertising dollars. He is most likely their biggest advertiser and he has been with them for at least 20-25 years. He not only buys regular full page ads on the inside, but also gets some on the outside top covers as well. I am sure Krause gives him special rates but he still gives them lots of advertising dollars each year.

I would love to see a special section each week highlighting a vintage advertisement that ran in SCD from like 20-25 years ago. It would be great to see the old ads from growing up and seeing the prices back then.

They should run articles on the best finds from the average collector each week. I am sure people would enjoy reading about those rare treasures that were picked up in some yard sale or estate auction.

SCD is a hobby publication that is supposed to be objective. I really haven't see many ads (if any at all) from any grading companies. SCD should run a series of reviews and tests for each grading company. Do reviews for PSA, GAI, SGC and Beckett. Expose PRO and the other fraud grading companies for what they are. I know it would be tough since they used to grade cards themselves and not be biased toward one company or the other.

There are several ways to improve the quality of SCD, they just have to be creative to find them.
  • Options

<< <i>He is most likely their biggest advertiser >>

Ruthfan
    Great commentary! Outstanding points and suggestions. On the Rosen thing, actually Keven Savage and Coach's Corner pay for more pages every week then he does. On the suggestion of more gritty topics - I have been feeling that way for years!
    The problem now may be chicken and egg - when they had the dough, they didn't beef up the publication enough for my taste - now the suggestions we think will work are not cost effective for them.
    SCD needs to be more like an objective reporter instead of singing the praises of their advertisers and never getting their hands dirty!
    Thanx for the post!
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Approximately three years ago, SCD ran a story about a different grading company each week in the center of its magazine. SCD also published a separate shortlived priceguide for graded cards.

Unfortunately, these stories were just profiles about grading companies who advertised in the publications. (PRO advertised so they get a full page story; USA advertised so they get a full page story; CTA advertised so they get a story; etc etc.)

SCD never had the cajones to rank or criticize any of these companies. As a result, I think SCD did a great disservice to the hobby. By including profiles about PRO in a hobby publication, SCD to a certain extent served to legitimized PRO.

• Options

<< <i>SCD never had the cajones to rank or criticize any of these companies. As a result, I think SCD did a great disservice to the hobby. By including profiles about PRO in a hobby publication, SCD to a certain extent served to legitimized PRO. >>

Koby
    Can't argue with you - right on target. When crap was happening all over the hobby - the only thing we got was advertising and advertising about the advertisers. Tuff Stuff is Fluff and ads. The only guy to give any grit (altho a broken record) was the Points to Ponder - gone. Schwartz "On your Side" - used to write about people he helped - now he just writes about what is on his mind - should be changed to
    "On My Side"!
    I linked this thread to SCD with a note that I was trying to give them "real time" feedback - they never emailed me back to acknowledge my attempt to help.
    This will probably be my last year with SCD after 14 seasons.
    your friend
    Mike

PS: Krause publications has some work to do also - I purchased their Standard Catalog of Sports Memorabilia and it is incomplete and poorly written - not worth the $ - e.g. it is a 2003 publication yet when I went to look up the value of a 2001 HOF induction pin - it stops at 1998!!!!!!!!
    Mike