Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question for you Notgeld experts et al.

Are any Notgeld issues, whether tokens or bills, considered to be officially Polish?

Many towns that issued Notgeld are now within Poland's borders. Would their issues be considered Polish in any way?

Were any Notgeld printed or minted with Polish inscriptions?

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Well, looks like I'm starting to answer my own question. I just found a huge collection of Polish Notgeld here.

Still looking for coinage though. It would be nice to have some of those bills, but I'm not really a bill collector.

Is it even called Notgeld if it's not specifically German?

We ARE watching you.

• Options

Here's an interesting list. German towns that issued Notgeld that are now Polish.

Allenstein Olsztyn
    Angerburg Wegorzewo
    Bialla Biala Piska
    Breslau Wroclaw
    Brockau Brockow
    Custrin Kostrzyn
    Danzig Gdansk
    Freiburg Swiebodzice
    Freienwalde Chociwel
    Glogau Glogow
    Goldap Goldap
    Gottesberg Boguszow
    Graudenz Grudziadz
    Greiffenberg Gryfow Slaski
    Grunberg Zielona Gora
    Hirschberg Jelenia
    Hohenfriedeberg Dobromierz
    Johannisburg Pisz
    Kandrzin-Pogorzelletz Kedzierzyn
    Katscher Kietrz
    Kattowitz Katowice
    Klodnitz-Oderhafen Klodnica
    Koeben Chobienia
    Konstadt Wolczyn
    Kreuzburg Kluczbork
    Kudowa, Bad Kudowa Zdroj
    Kunzendorf Konczyce
    Lahn Wlen
    Leobschultz Glubczyce
    Lyck Elk
    Neidenburg Nidzica
    Neurode Nowa Ruda
    Neustettin Szczecinek
    Nikolai Mikolow
    Ober Salzbrunn Szczawno Zdroj
    Oberglogau Glogowek
    Oels Olesnica
    Plathe Ploty
    Przyschetz Przysiecz
    Pyritz Pyrzyce
    Schneidemuhl Pila
    Soldin Mysliborz
    Sorau Zary
    Stolp Slupsk
    Striegau Strzegom
    Swinemunde Swinoujscie
    Tarnowitz Tarnowskie Gory
    Trebnitz Trzebinia
    Xions Ksiaz
    Zuelz Biala Prudnicka

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I have a complete collection of Notgeld from Schleswig-Holstein. This part of Germany held plebiscites to determine where the final borders would be after WWI. Most of these notes are full of Propaganda in German or Danish, for both sides of the issue, and they make a very interesting set. Many of the German notes have Danish flags on them either being walked on, or being held high depending on their view.

Notgeld Link This is a very good company with a large quantity of images covering Notgeld. It is all sorted by Town or Village, and you might want a map from that period to identify the towns, since there have been so many changes. The Linderman book is the Bible about these, but it is in German, and has very few images. I am not sure about the polish borders, but if it was like the Danish border you might have fun with it.

Good Luck,

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thank you Refrema. That site is quite extensive. For anyone that wants it, here is the page of towns in alphabetical order.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I still can't find any Notgeld, paper or coin, that has any Polish inscriptions. Gonna keep looking.

Don't mind me folks, I'm just having my own little party here.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Well now, here's an interesting bill I just ran across. It doesn't qualify as Notgeld as it was issued by the German Empire in Poznan. I wonder if this bill is anyway related to the German Empire Military Kopeks of 1916. I recognize the Polish inscriptions on the reverse, but there are several other languages I don't recognize. Is the other text Lithuanian perhaps? Hmmmm.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Notgeld simply means "emergency money" and it has become the general nickname for these types of currency and coins, no doubt because Germany was the largest issuer, followed by Austria -- both producing tens of thousands of issues. Krause publishes a guide by Courtney L. Coffing titled A Guide & Checklist of World Notgeld, 1914-1947 (And Other Local Issue Emergency Monies); the 2nd Edn. (2000) is the latest, I believe, and listed for $30. It identifies issuers in many countries and the various types of Notgeld they issued. It's rather short on pics, unfortunately, and not one I find myself reaching for very often.

The most popular reference on German Notgeld is the (now) 2-volume Deutsches Notgeld: Deutsche Serienscheine 1918-1922 (Vol. I covering A-K, and Vol. II L-Z), which is published by Hans L. Grabowski and the late Manfred Mehl. When you see "M-series" catalog numbers, this is the reference for them. It went to two volumes to include more color pictures and also attempts to incorporate material from the more authoritative, but dated, work by Kai Lindman ("L-series" catalog numbers) Serienscheine -- which is also sparse on pics other than B&W prints of some of the rarest specimens.

To find Polish language Notgeld, you will have to look for those issued by Polish cities (not at all easy to find) or the Polish Plebiscite issues. I have 4 Polish Notgeld notes: the 1914 1 & 3 Rubli "Saturn" notes from Sosnowice [Jablonski #1630], a 1921 50 Fenigow/Pfennig note from Mikolow [Jablonski #2488], and a 1921 50 Fenigow/Pfennig note from Gmina Bismarkhuta [Jablonski #????]. I have sets of the Polish Plebiscite from Johannisburg (now Pisz, Poland) [M 662.1], Marggrabowa (Olecko, Poland) [M 868], Marienburg (Malbork, Poland) [M 870.1], Oberglogau (Glogówek, Poland) [M 994], Przyschetz (Przysiecz, Poland) [M 1080.2].

The German note you showed is an occupation note issued by the German Ostbank – Lithuania (Poznan) issued in April 1916; these were denominated in Rubel & Kopeken. More truly Polish were the occupation notes issued by the Polish State Loan Bank in 1916-17, but these were denominated in Marki.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Thanks Askari. I've also gotten a lot of informative PM's from Jester and Refrema on the matter. Thank you to all!

This is the best numismatic forum on the planet.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "This is the best numismatic forum on the planet." --John

Can't disagree with that!

Sometimes, I wonder if we're making numismatic history even....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22