Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Albanian coin question

What exactly does "prova" mean? I have seen both the prova and no-prova for sale (with varying amount of stars..)

Ebay Link

which is a non-prova (2 star) .. vs a prova (no star) :

Test Link

Thanks for any info...

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Prova may be the equivilent to the Polish PROBA, which refers to coins minted with designs that will not be used for a mintage, rejected, as it were, but released in small quantities.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I think it's the equivalent of a pattern
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...that does help!

Cathy

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    That's exactly correct, Laurentyvan. Stork, on the reverse of the second coin you'll find the word "PROVA" in relief between the charioteer and the horses. This is essentially a pattern piece - not meant for circulation. The word itself means "trial", although it has nothing to do with the meaning of "trial strike" as we use it in US numismatics. These coins were meant for collectors. The mintage numbers can vary widely. I don't know from Albanian coins, but I know that Polish "Probas" can have mintage numbers anywhere from 1 to 100 or 500 and occasionally 1000 or more. Most of the "Probas" minted during the Second Republic are exceedingly rare and diffucult to come across. When they rarely do come on the market, you can throw out Krause for what it's worth.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    It means if you win the coin you have to send it to me.
    Bill

09/07/2006