Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question regarding Kennedy halfs

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any future designation in the works for this coin?

If I were to collect them, I wouldn't want to have to start over such as I did with my Roosies.

Anyone with any clues?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Unless you plan to collect ACG graded coins (FEB), it's unlikely you have anything to be concerned about.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    Russ...FEB? What does that stand for?

Thanks, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kennedys have a few areas which could get a designation. The eagle's head
    and neck feathers are one of the last areas to fill up on most dates. With the
    Kennedys though it's usually more about marks on the shield. Most dates are
    fairly available with good strikes if not perfect strikes, but the shield usually has
    marks all over it on the top.

There are other possibilities for a designation, but if you seek well struck exam-
    ples with as clean of shields as possible you should be OK. Look at a lot of mint
    sets to get an idea of what they look like. (especially '80's sets)
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Shh Cladking... That's my secret... I'm trying to only get ones with perfect shields! I've seen pcgs ms67's with nicks on the shield. Not right in my opinion.
  • Options
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ...FEB? What does that stand for? >>

Full Eagle's Beak. ACG uses it for Kennedys and Washingtons.

<< <i>I'm trying to only get ones with perfect shields! >>

Good luck. There are some years where perfect shields simply do not exist.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Sorry, ticks on the shield and basically flawless shouldn't be in the same sentence. Yes, I realize I've set about an impossible goal, but I'll just try to do the best I can.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope you really don't collect because of what is on the holder. >>

Andy007,

NO, I don't collect whats on the holder, but I certainly DO NOT want to get burned again by PCGS. Most collectors would rather collect a coin with a full strike and if they come up with a designation I would like to collect that.

I have several non FB Roosies and they just don't look as good to me as the FB's. I didn't realize just how difficult they really are with Full Bands.

Its a matter of taste.

Thanks for the responses.
    Later,
    Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
  • Options
    When I was collecting Roosies, I had a gem 1996-W MS68 PCGS and it was beautiful, then the designation came out. Alot of collectors were unhappy with how things went down. PCGS gave us no warning as to the designation. So after a few months and all the simmering died down, I decided to up-grade to a 1996-W MS68FB, and believe it of not this coin made my other 68 look sick. I guess I didn't look closely at it enough and there it was...a flat torch with no bands and not even a nub at the bottom of the torch. I was shocked and now very happy to have the FB designation.

I also had a Silver MS67 Roosie (Can't remember the date) that literally had no bottom to the torch, it was all smoothed over and the were no vertical lines whatsoever. I would have graded this coin an AU58 solely on the reverse.

So even if some may think that "It's just about the holder" its not.

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.