Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Polish Coin(s) Of The Week #7

These are a set of three kings and one queen, commemorated on the 100 zlotych pieces of the late Communist era. They are Y#155 (M:2,924K), Y#160 (M: 2,540K), Y#167 (M: 2,429K), and Y#183 (M: 2,469K). All of them are minted of copper-nickel, and have a beautiful mint luster which does not show up on the scans.

The coins share similar obverses:

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    P.S. All of these coins were circulating issues. I think Wayne posted a Polish coin with a king on it last month, and Jester's comment was something to the effect of commenting on the expressions in the faces. It's evidently very difficult to design a coin with a front-facing portrait that doesn't look goofy. I think the artists at the Warsaw Mint have done a tremendous job here. I have many more to share with you eventually...

I also find it ironic that Communist coins should commemorate Monarchical leaders, but let's be honest, the Poles were lousy Communists. In fact, they hated Communisim.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "In fact, they hated Communisim." --John

You can say that again.

I have a treat coming up in a future Challenge which is similar to the third coin.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Cool set image I like the drab color of the CuNi Polish coins.. makes them look all the more rugged, more medallic.

Aren't there some cheap patterns available for this series??
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You betcha!! Proofs too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Spoon, there's nothing drab about these particular coins. It's just a lousy scan. In fact, they're quite shiny.

I know what you mean about the drab color of circulated CU-Ni Polish coins, however. The alloy is evidently quite different from US Cu-Ni.

We ARE watching you.

• Options

<< <i>These are a set of three kings and one queen >>

So, which one is the queen????

j/k
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    So, which one is the queen????

The one with the shortest beard! image

(Queen Jadwiga - the fourth coin.)

We ARE watching you.

• Options

<< <i>Cool set image I like the drab color of the CuNi Polish coins.. makes them look all the more rugged, more medallic.

Aren't there some cheap patterns available for this series?? >>

AFAIK there is a 2003 commemorative that was done with an antique finish, i.e. without a raised rim. I like that one. image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin