Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I find it amazing the British Mint . . .

has no idea how many coins they minted. Specifically, a 1958 1/2d in Proof. I emailed them asking about the mintage of this coin. They sent me two article photcopied from The Numismatist, both by Harry Spencer. Neither was any help in determining the mintage of the coin. He does quote Freeman but in the same paragraph says Freeman is off by perhaps a factor of 10.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    And from that info you deduce what?? 15-16 pieces??

edited to add: or by factor did you mean 10x 5-6 pieces??
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terry, I have no idea. Freeman says 2 to 5 were minted. But 5 specimens exist in museums in the UK according to Spencer. I have 2 of them and know of one more. That makes at least eight.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    what's more important is that even if there were 16 ,( and you have two!!), they were under-priced and a bargain. And you have two!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    1958 was not THAT long ago, I can't believe the Mint didn't keep track of how many they made.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    They actually answered you? I've sent them 2 emails ( Jan, 8) and they have yet to answer either of them!
    Glenn
  • Options
    Dupes eh? TIme for a giveawayimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Glenn,
    I got a nice letter apologizing for taking so long to answer. It wasn't really that long IMO. They didn't really answer my question though.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    They are nevertheless proofs-of-record...image

They are akin to the Swiss specimen strikings in that only an estimate can be deduced from known pieces and auction records.

BTW, I have a half roll of those proof 1958 1/2d. image
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I have a half roll of those proof 1958 1/2d >>

and I give out those Swiss Specimen strikes as Halloween gifts to the kiddies.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trick or Treat!image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    In the April 1962 British Numismatic Journal, former Under Mint Master Sir Ian Lunsford stated that while many of the proof Halfpennies of the late 1950s have a recorded mintage of 3-10 coins, in fact several hundred of each were made and given to staff at the Royal mint and that this in part led to his being asked to resign as Under Mint Master.

(edited to add I am just jerking Ajaan's chain image)
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    How much do yo want for a copy of that article?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The British mint doesn't know much about the mintage of any year. There were mintages of sixpences of 205,920 in 1849 and 601,920 in 1861 according to some old literature I still have. No sixpences of these dates are known, so they are probably coins dated 1850 and 1860 repsectively (not likely to be 1848 or 1862 as both of those dates are tough ones in their own right).

There is an independent work by Gouby that sheds much light on the probable mintages of some of the bronze coinage of the 1860s.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "In the April 1962 British Numismatic Journal, former Under Mint Master Sir Ian Lunsford stated that while many of the proof Halfpennies of the late 1950s have a recorded mintage of 3-10 coins, in fact several hundred of each were made and given to staff at the Royal mint and that this in part led to his being asked to resign as Under Mint Master." --Dead King

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22