Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about giveaway items

Hey folks,

I was wondering if any of you that have given things away have known them to be sold at a later date? I ask because there was a thread in the swap forum about swap items being sold and it seemed to be an issue. I am being curious I guess.

Thanks,
Micheál

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I tend not to follow what I give away. I hope the person who get it likes it, but if not I don't care if they sell it. However, I have never sold anything that I won in a forum giveaway. I keep everything in a special notebook with a note of who gave it to me and when (there are some I have been slack on and forgot to note, but I still keep them).
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mixed emotions on this. If it is a swap, reselling something is OK with me. If it is a giveaway, I wouldn't like to see the person sell it right away. I realize collecting areas charge, and if the person no longer wants the item I would like to see that person give the item away. I definitely do not like giving away a coin in a giveaway and then see it listed one week later.

I'll only enter giveaways for coins I truly plan on keeping for a long time.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

I'll only enter giveaways for coins I truly plan on keeping for a long time. >>

I agree, I do not enter giveaways if it is not an item I want for my collection.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I agree with this. Any swaps or trades on the forum are fair game. I bought stuff off wybrit and kahli recently and listed it straight away. I figure if they want x amount for a coin then they are happy with x amount. I've an Aethelred coin on Ebay now. Only a cheapy but it was purchased by me. If I had won it in a giveway it wouldn't be there now. Probably hold it for the kids or something. Don has bought stuff off me and traded it. When you buy a coin it's yours to do with what you want.

But the giveaway. Well that's like a gift. It's a forum thing. I wouldn't like to see that Charles II threepence on Ebay (I know he's not gonna do it anyway but there you go.)

L
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    As a dealer I don't collect anything but mules, and I haven't seen many of them in giveaways lately image. So I only enter giveaways for items that I want to keep or display as special items in my store. To my knowledge, I have never sold an item I won in a giveaway, except for things I win in coin club raffles image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It's crass but what are you going to do?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lloyd, it goes without saying, if you purchase a coin from a fellow member you have every right to sell that coin unless you know in your heart the seller was 'giving' it to you at a very low price. Then it's up to your own moral values to decide if it's right to sell it. Swap, trades, and purchases are seperate from giveaways IMO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I think Lloyd put it very well. I have purchased things from other forum members many times with the intention of selling it. I am aware of several people who buy things from me and sell it very soon after (and I always hope they make a tidy profit).

Not long ago I made a deal with LordM. He had a coin that he won in a NEN contest that I wanted for my George III set. I had a coin that he wanted so we traded even. The coin I got has a market value of about $ 60-75, he sold the coin he got from me for something like $160. Do I fell in any way upset or unhappy about the deal? Not at all, I got a coin I wanted for my personal collection and a friend made a very healthy profit, we both won and that is how all deals should go!

If I give you something on the other hand I hope it is something that I hope will spark an interest, enhance your collection or send you down a new collecting road. If you sell that giveaway item I may feel like I have failed to do what I had hoped, but I am not going to lose any sleep.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    What he said.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I have done trades or swaps, and in turn put those items in my trade/sell lists because they did not meet my expectations. Some trades/swaps/giveaways have been an upgrade where the previous coin
    ended up in a trade/sell/giveaway. I would say most if not all giveaways I have gotten are in my collection as an addition or upgrade to it. I do not keep tight records on where a coin came from (just what I have or need) so a giveaway won could end up in a trade/sell/giveaway in the future.

I Know for a fact that a shilling given to me by Mongoose was eventually upgraded and replaced, I sold it to Aethelred, who in turn sold it on e-bay. I don't think there are any hard feelings about a transaction like that. I hope.....image I was not looking at it from a greed or profit perspective....image
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks all and now it's time for me to chime in on this. As for myself, I really don't care what happens to the coins I giveaway, granted I've only had one giveaway so far, because now that coin no longer belongs to me. I feel I have no right to say what that person chooses to do with the coin. If I felt that strongly about the coin and what is done with it then I should have never given the coin away in the first place. For me, it seems illogical to give something to someone and then tell him or her what they can do with it or to make them feel guilty about their decision on what they have done with (trade or sell) the coin.

If I give away a coin and it is sold to buy or upgrade a piece for one's collection then more power to them! I am happy to know I had some part in their quest. A simple thank you is all I need and if you choose to keep it great! If not, that's fine too. I know for some the idea of selling something you've had in a giveaway is insulting and you feel like some injustice has been done and that I can understand. As for me, I guess I am just a simpleton because this just would not bother me. I've been in places in the world where people have been brutalized and killed for less. I guess I was just shocked at a thread in another forum about how upset a person got over this issue. I was just speaking my mind and I promise I won't do it too much

Micheál

Edit for English speakers
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Here's the thread about the swap LINK.. In this case I think the person receiving the coin had no obligation to keep it, it was a trade not a gift.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Once a coin is given or sold or swapped, it is the new owner's call on what they want to do with it. Personally, I would not sell anything that I won on a giveaway (actually I never sell anything I get) but I have on an occasions passed on some giveaways that I won to other people. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Nice thread/topic...
    I have had several giiveaways in the past. Mine were almost always for lower grade world coins but, that I thought could be of use to others. If the winner wanted to sell or swap those I say, More Power to Them.

Now I have won many giveaways. I have never sold a coin I got, even when I thought I could at a profit. That may not sound like much, but the felling/idea that I got it from a freind online, was more important. Even though i could have used the bucks.

I have also received many GREAT coins and tokens as pure gifts that appeared in the mail. Those you and all others could not drag out of me.

I guess to make make confusing post be more clear, to me a Giveaway can be traded or sold. We don't always "get what we think we will".... refrer to some of my giveaway coins.

A gift, is a gift. I haven't ever gotten rid of any gift I recievced, coin or other wise. Even when I needed to get a little money.

I just read my above post and it confused me for lack of being clear. I will leave it anyway.

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Personally If I give away a coin and see it listed for sale I get a bit upset. I understand it is now someone elses coin but I think it is not ethical or in the spirit of this forum to sell what is given as a gift. Some may dissagree but guilty parties will NEVER get any more free coins.

Mark
  • Options
    Well, Mark, I have givenaway a lot of very low value and very common coins. I don't mind for one second if the winner sells them, if they don't need them.

Just my feelings, of course.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    I love giveaways. It's really my MAJOR source of collecting world coins. I have never sold anything I've won here. Living in a rural area as I do it isn't easy to get to a coin shop , the nearest one is 50 miles. i suppose I could bid on e-bay but I'm not set up to do that and I don't trust myself to keep within a reasonable budget either. I know I'd overspend. I like auctions and have even bid against myself unwittingly in my quest to take the item home. I do win sometimesimage
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I´ve won only one give away, wich was for a magazine. If I ever win coins, I´m sure that It won´t get sold in a loooong time.

Dennis
  • Options
    Wayne

The opinion is just mine I was hosed down by a certain no longer active member and it just gave me a attitude about this subject. I feel that if you just want to win a give away so you can sell the coins included then don't enter. Just my feelings. Sorry if this PO's anyone but thats just the way it is.

Mark
  • Options
    In my opinion, anything that is given away (or sold/transfered/traded) becomes the new owner's sole property and he/she is free to do with it whatever he likes.

However, it is in extremely bad taste to sell something like a giveaway prize, especially soon afterwards, and in order to make a profit. It sort of goes against the spirit of the original giveaway.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I have never sold a giveaway coin and am not planning to. That said, it's up to the individual to decide what they want to do with one. It wouldn't rile me to see one of my giveaways end up on the auction block. Whether I give it away or sell it, once the deal is done, it's out of my hands.

There aren't enough days on this earth left, so why waste one seething about it?

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I have given a couple of 'giveaways' on another board and it was nice when one of the lucky ones pm'd thanks.
    Once the item has gone it is up to the new owner but is great if it forms part of a collection.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Mark,
    I was afraid my reply would not make sense.

I agrre with you completely that you should "want/need" the coins for your collection before entering a giveaway. I never even enter one for any other reason.

BUT....when I first found this forum, and found I loved collecting, I entered every giveaway. I think I was shocked by the generosity of the folks and FREE coins. I also won a few of those giveaways and I still have the coins.

Just my opinion, and I could not find fault with anyone that sold any coin they got from me. Once again, I don't have high value coins. so maybe I don't qualify as a good example for commenting.

1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If somebody wins something from me in a giveaway, it is theirs to do with as they please, with no strings attached. Keep, sell, swap, whatever. Whenever they want.

Admittedly, I have sold or swapped things I won in giveaways before, but not right away. I can see how it would be a bit galling to someone to give something away, only to see it immediately pop up for sale.

(If I annoyed anyone by later trading away or selling things I had won in previous giveaways, I will go ahead and apologize now. A breach of etiquette would be the last thing I intended.)

Aethelred gives the example of the coin I won from NEN, which he ended up with in a trade, but everybody won on that one: NEN got some well-deserved goodwill, Aethelred got an upgrade for his George III type set, and I basically got a $160-some coin for free. (And then did a giveaway of my own to make up for unduly profiting from NEN's generosity.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yup.
    Only enter giveaways for things that you really want. If you outgrow them later because of an upgrade, then it should be ok to sell the giveaway coin, or give it away might be a better idea.

Good thread.
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I only enter the ones I want for my collections. I do not expect to hold anything forever, but my memory is so short I forget where I get things and they will get sold eventually.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I meant to reply to this earlier but kept getting pulled away.. wow, lots of comments here since then.

Me:
    If I give something away all I expect is a Thank You. Beyond that it's up to the recipient. If they decide to keep it then that lets me know they appreciate it. But if they don't keep it I guess it doesn't necessarily mean they don't appreciate it so I can't get mad.

I only enter things when it's something I'd really like to have. But several times I've held back simply because I didn't think I could offer a decent giveaway of my own later (I'm still behind on that count image but hoping to catch up soon image )

I just won that cool 3d from Lloyd and that's definitely a keeper. Of all the things I won here there's only one that I don't have anymore.. that one I gave away to someone else here. I guess I'm just a sentimental ol sap image