Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT World Currency - Look at these cool Mexican notes from 1914-5

I think the first two notes are very pretty. They have great designs and vivid colors, thought I'd share.image

<THE FOLLOWING WAS POSTED ON THE CURRENCY FORUM>

I came across these three notes and can't find them in Pick. If anyone has a reference number and aprox value I would be most thankful. They grade CU, AU and AU.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    I have similar Chihuahua notes. From top to bottom from the ancient '75 1st edition before they took out the 'Specialized' issues:
    P-31 5 Pesos 1913 .50 VF, $1 Unc.
    P-32 10 Pesos 1913 $1 VF $2 Unc.
    P-382 5 Pesos hand signed 1915 $0.75 VF $2 Unc
    or
    P-382A 5 Pesos printed signatures 1915 $0.10 VF $0.30 Unc

I'm sure the pricing as well as the numbering have since changed.

I don't have the second two so if you decide to let them go I'd be interested.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the info Brad. My Pick is a Vol. 2 with only the "regular issue notes," guess I need to find a Vol. 1 if I am going to dabble in world paper.

As to the idea of selling the last two, I really like the second one so if it is not worth much I'll keep it, the third one is for sale (I'll listen to offers on any of them).image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Those are Revolutionary notes, right? (I'm not up on the lingo image )

Really cool looking anyhow image
    I've always wanted to get some but I usually wind up spending my money on all that old dirty French colonial stuff image

Thanks for sharing over here!
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I have a few hundred of these banknotes in my collection. In Mexico they call them "bilinbiques", and they were isssued by several Mexican States. The reason they called them "bilinbiques" is that the man who originally started issuing them was the paymaster at a mine in northern Mexico named William Weeks. Since the Mexicans couldn't pronounce the name, their version of it was "bilinbiques", and that's the name that stuck. Over the years, many of these notes were signed by Pancho Villa, and the ones carrying his signature are pretty pricey. Some of my favorites were the ones issued by the "Hemp Market Regulating Commission" in the Yucatan Peninsula, headquartered in Merida. image P.S. The ones issued by Chihuahua are among the most common, so they can be acquired in Crisp Uncirculated condition for under Ten Dollars, although they are very interesting. Our US politicians could learn a thing or two about currency design from these banknotes.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    Pick has a 'Specialized Issues' volume out too but it's pricey and not often found used or at lower prices.
    Brad Swain

• Options
    For the 3rd note I could offer $3 plus $1 shipping.
    one on ebay
    Brad Swain

• Options
    If I ever find a used Vol. 1 I'll grab it. I just dabble with world currency, I am not a serious collector so I don't want to spend much. My Vol. 2 is an old 6th edition.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    The first two are actually commercial bank notes, while the last is an authentic revolutionary note. This particular revolutionary note is a type known as "Dos Caritas" ("Two Faces"). From the 9th Edn. of Vol. 1:

PS-132a: Unc. $10.00

PS-133a: VF $4.00, Unc. $10.00. This note is not AU, though. More like VF-XF.

PS-532A: VG $0.75, VF $2.00, Unc. $5.00. It looks like it's XF-AU. (This one looks faded, but I don't know how "bright" the colors were originally.)
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Askari,
    Thank you for the information!image The bends on the second note look much worse in that scan than in person, and there are no folds, in fact you have to look at it quite close to see that it is not CU. The third note is not faded at all, just a product of my scanner not liking it. It is amazing to me, having collected large size US currency at one time, that such wonderful notes can be so cheap! Are they really that common, or have people just not caught on yet?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Mexican revolutionary notes actually have become rather hot over the last 2-3 years. Don't trust even the latest Specialized Krause for accurate pricing on higher-end scarcer notes.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I have had a blast sorting the 224 notes I bought!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I've got over 1100 Darkside banknotes but barely have any time (or money) to actively seek more. I wish I did but I still collect what I inadvertently run across and don't already have. I used to have a lot of Extras but someone cleaned me out a year or two ago.
    I have the '96 8th edition Volume 2 (General Issues 1650- 1960) and the '96 4th edition of Volume 3 (Modern Issues 1961-1998). I'd collect more paper if I could afford to update my texts! I really need a Volume 1 (Specialized Issues), any edition, if anyone runs across one!
    Brad Swain

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy world notes and currency on occasion when I see something I like. I like Mexico for both notes and coins... underrated IMHO for beauty and value and in some instances rarity.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.