Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is This Real or Fake?

I got this Chinese Dollar in a large group of silver crown and dollar size coins. While attributing this, it looks like a 1927. I know that there are a lot of fake Chinese coins around and wasn't sure about this one. Can anyone tell if it's real or not? The color and weight are good.

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    The difficult part about discerning genuine coins from fakes is that a number of provincial "restrikes" were made from crude dies. I have one that looks funky and was supposedly made by a provincial warlord.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    It seems that the only telling difference between a 1912 and a 1927 is the seperator of the word MEMENTO. If someone were going to make a counterfeit, they would make the scarce 1912 and not the common one. I guess I'll catalog it as 80% sure it's real.
  • Options
    There are fake common coins; -- Because people do not expect a fake common coin -- I suggest that you take a VERY close look at the style and shape of the Chinese characters. If anything looks funky, beware.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options

<< <i>The color and weight are good. >>

The trouble is, bad weight or diameter can make the "counterfeit" call, but correct numbers can't make the "real" call.
    Roy

• Options
    MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Is it very easy to spot a fake Japanese coin by measure the weight ? How about the chinese 1 teal goid coin of 1907? Were they minted with very accurate weight as Japanese coin? If the weight defference is 37.5g vs 37.4g, will that make it a fake?
    Also, can a fake coin has nice toneing, or is it possible to fake a toneing on a fake coin?(both gold & silver coin)
    Any input is appreciated.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it very easy to spot a fake Japanese coin by measure the weight ? >>

Like so many things in life, that depends. image

Assuming you are asking about the Meiji/Taisho eras (1870-1924), the Japanese mint at Osaka, and its Tokyo branch, were extremely precise in their planchet measurements, so a significant weight variation is positive proof that a piece is counterfeit. Accurate weight, however, is no assurance of genuineness, as some counterfeits are quite close, especially those of high value collector coins where an investment in proper alloy could be expected to pay dividences.

<< <i>How about the chinese 1 teal goid coin of 1907? Were they minted with very accurate weight as Japanese coin? If the weight defference is 37.5g vs 37.4g, will that make it a fake? >>

That's not in my area of study, but in general Imperial Chinese coins were produced with carefully controlled weights. I would, however, be extremely hesitant to condemn any coin for a discrepancy of 2.7/100ths of 1 per cent!

<< <i>Also, can a fake coin has nice toneing, or is it possible to fake a toneing on a fake coin?(both gold & silver coin) >>

Fakes are produced from a variety of metals, ranging from the same metal used for genuine coins, to pot metal, to pewter, to iron or lead. That means that some will tarnish in exactly the same manner as the coins they are mimicking, while others will rust, turn green, grow white corrosion, or behave in many other manners. The short answer is that certain types of tarnish can prove illegitimacy, but no form or tarnish can prove that a particular coin is genuine. Not much has changed since this thread was initiated.
    Roy

• Options
    MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Thank you Roy, the informations are very helpful.