Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Error/Variety #11: 1908-S Philippines Peso

Here's an interesting error coin I found recently. Although it's been hairlined practically to death, it's still noteworthy in that it appears to be a nice example of massive doubling on both sides of the coin. In addition to that, there might be evidence of a 7 lurking under the 8 in the date. Notice: All scanned images have been sharpened. See for yourselves:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice find! I'm not sure what that is under the "8" but it is interesting.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Funky coin! image

And what's going on with the mint mark? Is that S over S???

• Options
    Jeepers, I must be cracking up. I'd have sworn I posted on this. Well, I've been the the ole US of A and promptly got sick either from exposure on the long flight or the cold weather. BRRRRR.

So maybe my brain is addled, but Mr. 1 Jester, I'm really sorry but I don't think the coin is anything special. The "shadow" under the 1, the 8, and the S is pretty common with old dies and I think that's all it is. Let's hope I'm wrong about this.

The second image under Peso -- that's more impressive. It may be machine doubling; it may be a genuine double die. I can't tell from the scan. Good luck and ...

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Thank you for your comments, Mr. Fun! I do hope you manage to overcome your symptoms ASAP!!!

I don't know what's going on with this coin; I've never seen such pronounced doubling on any coin, and yet the doubling appears rather strange, in that every doubled image consists of a bumpy surface rather than a smooth one; you can make this out in the scans too. The mint mark's doubling is a full 40% below the S, which is a long way. Other digits in the date are clearly doubled.

You're probably right that it's not worth a second glance, but it's intreaguing to me nonetheless. I don't have any idea how the market will ever value such oddities, but I enjoy finding them.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Dear 1jester: Enjoying your coins is what it's all about. And some time, why don't you show coin around to a few experts like Fred Weinberg or Warren Mills, who really had great eyes. It would be very interesting to hear what they have to say.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    It is die deterioration doubling. A good clue is that it's on the mint mark as well, which was punched and not hubbed.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, Spiny! I've never seen this type of doubling before--at least not die deterioration doubling that looks like this. But your theory seems sound.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics, Jester.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks, miLord!! It's a Hewlet Packard 3500C flatbed scanner at 1200 DPI.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD