Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guess what the hottest World coins will be in 10 years?

Guess what the hottest World coins will be in 10 years?
My guess would be Chinese, but whom can you trust? There are so many fakes of everything in China; one would never know what they were buying. My opinion is that as China becomes the leading World economic power over the next decade, and millions of there people continue to collect their own history, the way we do, you might very well see a ten fold increase in the value of Chinese coins the next ten years. Out of the Billions of Chinese even just a small amount of collectors would make a huge difference in demand. So here is an interesting story, and lets see what you think. Besides being a long time coin collector my wife and I have collected Chinese art for over a decade. During that time we have made good friends with many people who are art dealers in China that have very good contacts. One of those large dealers is interested in who might want to see some great coins from China that are guaranteed to be REAL. Did you ever want to get into the ground floor of a movement? Did you always wish you could have bought Franklins, or some similar coins when they were selling at just 3 or 4 times their melt in BU? I have no idea what my friend in China might find for us but let me hear from those of you that are interested in looking at what he might come up with, and I think he will put his people on a search.
Want to gamble for a big important collection?

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chinese coins are a good bet and I've been getting what I can for many years. The cash
    coins are available in junk boxes and I'll always pick these up too. It may be somewhat
    longer than ten years though before this material is appreciated. There are some great
    modern Chinese coins too, but these are impossible to find in this country.

My guess is that the hottest world coins in ten years will be the 1800 to 2005 European
    coins. There may also be a growing interest in some of the Indian and major African coun-
    try coins. Many of the emerging markets are going to create a larger middle class which
    will form the backbone of a growing hobby.

Russian coins (particularly USSR) are going to be a boom market one of these years, but
    it's likely to be more than ten years off.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Chinese coins will no doubt go way up in value as more Chinese turn to coin collecting as a hobby. I think the same can be said for India and other SE Asia countries (think old British, French, Portugese and Dutch colonial coins). I also agree with Cladking that Russian coins will go up, and definitely European coins. I don't know whether or not this will trickle into medieval (European) coins, but I suspect so. Those medieval coins are so cheap now that I can't believe it. On the other hand, they might go the way of ancient Roman coins, that is, nowhere.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    My lips are sealed!!!!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention: South African copper, especially proof issues!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    MY opinion: the market is going to increase naturally, no major surprises. I think some of the undervalued coins of today will probably gain the value they deserve as more people stray away from their homeland's coinage and more information is produced on foreign coins in several languages. I think the 'minor' countries of Europe (non-Great Powers like Portugal, Poland, etc) will become ever more popular as the major European markets become too mundane (they already are IMO). I expect China's coins will rise in value, but don't plan on them becoming easy investment pieces.. in order to maximize gains there you have to know what you're dealing with, that means work/study which deters enough collectors to keep it a fringe element in the West (same with Indian States, etc). I think medieval European stuff will stay pretty much the same.. just natural rises in a largely overlooked area. The two areas I think will get hotter than the rest are Latin/South American coins and colonial coins of all types.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I believe that coins from the European countries will be strong-China I consider problematic due to counterfeiting and confusion with the language difference. Older Canadian issues will be very strong, especially the maritimes. Some south american countries, especially those with planchet problems like Columbia will gain significantly in value. Just my uninformed opinion of course.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Colonial Types from France, Great Britian, Portugal. South America especially Uncleaned Uncirculated. African coins from dead countries
    Just my silly opinion. Also coins from Portugal are hot here right now due to a large ethnic Portugese Community that is becomming increasingly affluent

Mark
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Major Western European countries of the 19th and early 20th century where all denoms are truly scarce already in true gem unc. conditions. How long would it take someone now to put together a certified MS65 or better collection of British shillings or bobs. For starters, would cost a small fortune and you might spend most of that 10 years trying.

Swiss silvers and minors are difficult to find in 'no-problems' conditions before 1939. Back in the early 80s, roll quantites were fairly easy going back to the 1940s. Now, you are pressed to find silver rolls from the late 50s. From WWII forward, they are available.

A stone cold red collection of French copper (3rd Emp.), I would think would be very tough, and I've never seen vast numbers of the Ceres 1/2 franc issues which are gorgeous coins. These were coins that were heavily used.....those are the ones to go for, IMO.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    10 years is too far down the road. For all you know, coins may be obsolete by then. I'll continue as I have been and collect what I like without any thoughts or speculations on it's value down the road. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Those that are left out in the sun too long.........image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I would guess the coins most likely to become "hot" would be those with the widest possible appeal in markets where there are collectors with money, like the United States and western Europe. In that vein, I'm keeping an eye on early Latin American issues, which are rare and have cross-border appeal in the US, pre-euro European coins and colonial coins. The big question is how much new demand would it take to put pressure on the surviving populations of those coins.

The interesting thing about China is the combination of growing economic strength and national pride -- two very positive indicators of increased demand from Chinese collectors for their nation's coins. This is something that happened in the 1970s with Iranian coins as well, but was abruptly halted by the 1979 Islamic revolution.
  • Options

<< <i>I forgot to mention: South African copper, especially proof issues!

imageimageimage >>

Or Swedish 2 Kronor from 1937 in XF or better image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canadian and British coins. Especially Canadian, the mintages are just so low. As US coins reach higher and higher prices for fairly 'common' coins, people will start to look elsewhere. Canada is the obvious place to look IMO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Every coin that I have sold in the past 6 months!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    I think State Quarters are headed for a bigtime price increase.

OK, that was a poor attempt at a joke. I suspect most foreign coins will increase, as Americans start turning to them for better deals. It's hard to tell which exact area of coins will be subject to the greatest price rises.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Saudi Arabian coins.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    O.K. my friends help me out with your logic here. Why old African countries who will collect those? Isn’t the collector base already strong for Canadian, this market has already move up has it not. As to the question about who will care about Chinese coins, because the language is so different, well I guess the Chinese will understand it! As far as European from the 1500 to the 1800 I think these are currently sold at give away prices. As some one here already pointed out there are so few of some of these no one even has an estimate of mintage, it is beyond me why many of these are not already thousands of dollars for high grades. Look at this one example on Ebay right now, there are Chinese proof commen’s that they only made 15,000 of selling at 7 times MELT, yes most of us cannot read what is on the coin, but what kind of market might there be in China in 10 years with 3 Billion people. If .000005 % of the Chinese people become commen collectors some one is not going to have one in their collection. Here are a few facts you may not know, the Chinese people have not in the last 3,000 years had any of the basic freedoms all of us enjoy. They are very hungery for all of the worldly goods that all of us purchase nearly at will. Every month there are 10,000 new millionaires created in China,
    and China is the largest English speaking country on the planet.5 years ago Americans and Europeans bought 80% of the ancient art found in China, and the Chinese today buy 60%, keeping it out of foreign hands. Unlike American coins that were circulated freely in the past two hundred years, Chinese coins were only in the hands of mostly wealthy people, and for thousands of years the average Chinese bartered for all their day to day needs.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably any provisional issues from the US zone of Chinese America.

They will be crudely struck as the shelling will be almost incessant.

That is.....IF the owners don't just nuke em and have out with it.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High grade, slabbed, silver thalers. The Chinese fakes will have driven the foreign market into slabs by then. The average age of the collector will be high and eyesight will preclude much interest in smaller coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I am changing my opinion on Chinese coins after reading (and agreeing with) Goldsaints well thought out reply.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato