Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few more Viking Ships

Several members have asked for a few more, so here are 3 unusual Viking Ships. I have lots to choose from, but these are among my favorites.

This is a French medal from 1911 to commemorate the Norman invasion 1000 years ago. It is Silver 68 X42 mm. Albert Guilloux was the artist, and this is the only one I have ever seen.

imageimage

This Medal is White Porcelain 48 mm with a red center. It says in German that they are commerating their excursion into Norway. Note the Swastika on the Viking Ship. It is for April 9, 1940, the date that Germany invaded Norway. This one was very hard to find.

imageimage

This coin was among the hardest to find. I asked dealers and collectors around the world to look for it. It is Silver Proof 1000 Pesetas, from Saharawi Arab Democratic Republic. The total mintage was 100. I had so many looking for it, that I actually have 2. I got one from Brazil, and a month later another one showed up. I couldn’t tell the second dealer no, so I bought the second one.

imageimage

Thanks for your great comments, and I hope you enjoy these also.
Bob

I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Very unique pieces, very attractive and each with a stong personality. I'm taken with the contrast in the distinct types you've presented to us-nice job.
    What will you end up doing with the duplicate?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    That white medal is pretty cool.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! They are all three incredible. The second one sends chills down my spine and the
    first is extremely attractive. I gotta have that third one too.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the previous post said. That first is absolutely gorgeous; the second is attractive and rather chilling at the same time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    image very neat and ineresting

• Options
    Pretty incredible, indeed!! image I've seen that plaque once before, but was unsuccessful in my bid on it.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Awesome I like the eagle on the white medal too.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ENVY....... I am very impressed. Love 'em all.......image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    I'm thinking taht N1 is just masterpiece! And also I like very much the last one--gorgeus coin!!!!!!!! youreally know how to choose themimage ---please continue do it, Bob!!

And now I'm going to see your e-mails with the list of coins THANKS for sending it, it looks like I'll be very busy at this weekend!image
    N. N.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone’s great comments. I’m sure that others here have a few items which have stories behind them that make them special items in their collections. Why not share them with everyone.

Several times over the last couple of years I had thought I was about done, but then another ship or two will show up. Unfortunately, the new ones I find now, tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

Next week, I will post a few more beauties, which I am sure that very few of you have ever seen. Even non collectors who come to our house start to find them fascinating. As many of us collectors find out, a collection can turn into an obsession. I also have about 10 Miniature Viking ships of Bronze, Silver, and Pewter.

Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Bob,

I recently found a piefort version of the 1998 Saharawi 1,000 pesatas silver piece. The porcelain piece IS very difficult to find too. The 2012 Canadian gold piece is also very attractive. I guess the Viking influence will continue.