Home Q & A Forum

Rate The Other Grading Firms

Hands down PCGS is #1. However, I'm sure you've handled coins in other holders and would like a brief opinion of each, any strong points, and/or a major problem with the service. Looking @ Accuracy, Market Acceptance, Integrity in Grading, Holder, Mgmt/Staff Numismatic experience. Here's the list:

1) NGC
2) ANACS
3) ICG
4) SEGS
5) PCI
6) NTC
7) ACG- Comment probably not needed.
NEW.

1) TRUEGRADE
2) NNC

I am just looking for general comments based on your experience as a Dealer/Collector, not necessarily PCGS's stand on these firms. I would think that NGC and ANACS have some "redeeming social value" image and/or strong points. While the remainder, will be interested in your feelings.
PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    In the marketplace, PCGS coins bring the most money. NGC coins are next. ANACS coins have some respect. I believe that none of the other grading service coins trade sight-unseen.

As for my personal opinion on the quality of the grading, I believe PCGS standards are where grading should be. I believe NGC grades consistently and does a pretty good job, thought their standards are slightly looser than PCGS...hence the discount in price.

After the "Big Two," I believe ANACS is pretty good (i.e. makes few mistakes) and ICG is sort of OK. After that, I feel that grading quality is very spotty...to put it diplomatically.

David