Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did MS68's stolen 1919 quarter ever turn up? Any leads?

I just hate it when things like this happen at a coin show. I've had two expensive coins where a similar situation happened and to this day it still drives me crazy.

Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Seth- Thanks for the concern, but I have had no luck with respect to the recovery of the 1919-S PCGS 67FH at all. It appears that whomever took this has decided to put it away for the time being. I will be making a post some time later this week concerning raising the reward and the details on how the coin can be returned without the perpetrator having any fear that they will be turned in. Silvano DiGenova over at Superior is helping me with preparing the flier which we should have ready in short order. I also want to thank David Hall for having the coin removed off the pop report so as to make the coin tougher to sell.
    David Schweitz
  • I hate to be the pessimist here because I haven't heard the details on this coin but what's stopping this person from cracking it out and simply sending it to NGC? Good luck to you! I certainly hope it pops up.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable........image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate to be the pessimist here because I haven't heard the details on this coin but what's stopping this person from cracking it out and simply sending it to NGC? Good luck to you! I certainly hope it pops up. >>

I'd guess the coin could identified from photos previously taken.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • But what's to stop them from cracking and sending to a lesser service... image
    -George
    42/92
  • >>But what's to stop them from cracking and sending to a lesser service...

nothing and that sucks. The only thing that can be done is for use to keep our eyes open for it. Its not like selling an 09-S VDB.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I hate to be the pessimist here because I haven't heard the details on this coin but what's stopping this person from cracking it out and simply sending it to NGC? Good luck to you! I certainly hope it pops up."

The coin has several "markers" which aid in identifying it. Frankly, someone would have to harm the coin down to perhaps MS65FH grade to have a shot at passing it along. MS68 has raised the reward to a level now ($10,000) where someone would probably be better off just claiming the reward.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    I think a coin like that is bound to surface sooner or later. Hope you get it back.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if the coin is still in its slab. What I would be looking for is to find the coin, raw, in a very old style coin holder, giving it the appearance of having come from an old time coin collection.

The thief probably knows coins and may even be reading what appears on this forum. Getting good quality photos, if they exist, out to the people who would be likely to be interested in such a coin would probably go a long way in helping to get it back.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Very sorry to read about this MS68, This terrible!image

I hope some of us can keep this thread ttt'd, or perhaps Carolj could keep this at the top of the boards for awhile so everyone is sure to see this thread....... Because even though I visit the boards just about on a daily basis this is the first I have seen this post, are one similar, and was even aware of of MS68's terrible misfortune......

I also think it could be useful to post where this occured so that anyone that may have been where the theft took place may have seen something that could help identify the perpetrator...... One never knows what someone might have seen that could give a clue to the person(s) that commited this crime.image
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    I really have to think that the list of potential buyers for this coin is limited, and because of that I think the thief may have a hard time selling it, even out of the slab.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file