Home U.S. Coin Forum

This might start a fuss.....

I have been digging through my proof sets and found the one that is most confusing......

The proof penny is flaking off the copper layer for some reason. You can see the copper laying in there.

When I ask dealers if such a thing would be considered a mint error since it is still sealed in the case I get mixed reactions. As one fellow put it.

"Mint errors happen IN the mint not after they come out."

But then again, for this to happen it DID happen in the mint.

The worst part is that this is on a PROOF coin. What do you think? The location of where this is letting go is hard to take a picture of and I am NOT cracking it out. It is nothing more than a 1992 Proof set that raises a whole lot of questions. I would think that this sort of thing happens often. But the mixed emotions I get tells me otherwise.
Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24

Comments

• If it's a planchet material defect, I guess it could be construed as a mint problem. As far as an error, that's too far out of my league.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Errors are classified under the PDS system.
    P for planchet problems.
    D for die problems.
    S for striking problems.
    Yours falls under P.
    See, no fuss! image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It is definitely a mint error if it's coming off the coin.

There is often misc stray metal that ends up in mint and proof set packaging though. It this
    metal obviously from the coin?
    Tempus fugit.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a post 1982 Lincoln? If so, then the planchet was not properly cleaned prior to plating and the zinc core is corroding under the copper plating.

This happens fairly often on business strikes, but I've not seen it happen on proofs. Regardless, the coin would not be classified as an error and has very little value if this is indeed the case.

Do you have an image?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • If it is a plated Zincoln and the plating is faulty, would it be considered a Mint error? The mint does not make or plate the planchets. So it is a planchet error but is it a "mint error"?
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    A minting error rather than a Mint error since making planchets is part of the minting process.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file