Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay sellers unfamiliar with Occam's razor

seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
The eBay Error category is littered with auctions for misshapen or damaged junk people think must be some rare Mint mishap. This latest example, not to pick on one particular seller, really pushed me over the edge. Let's say you found an old dime with some extra metal on the rim, 180 degrees apart. The metal is a different color than the coin. You might think the metal was somehow tacked to the coin after it was made. Or you might think the coin was once contained in a piece of jewelry. But if you were this eBay PowerSeller, you would know that you had a rare and desirable experimental planchet with wings.

I'm sure I'll mangle the citation, but Occam's (or Ockham's) Razor states that in the face of several possible explanations for a phenomenon, the simplest is usually the correct one. I don't expect every error seller to be an expert on coin manufacture, but applying a little common sense to their discoveries would go a long way. Occam is probably lucky he didn't live to see eBay. image

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    "Experimental Metal with Attachment Wings" image

You're right - Occam's razor certainly applies. You'd think the seller might spend a few seconds thinking about the sheer number of coin handling machines that are based on the fact that coins are round. Those pesky "wings" might cause some problems, methinks!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Occam's razor is usually correct. Did anyone notice Lisa Simpson quoted Occam's razor a few weeks ago on a Simpsons episode?

Anyway, this seller obviously doesn't know much about coins, but how about this seller in another thread? I beleive everyone agreed that this person is simply trying to pass off a frauduelently waffled coin.

There's no shortage of idiot bidders or scam artists on ebay. You just need to do your homework and make the best informed decisions. Even that doesn't always work though....
    David
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    But this is from a power seller with only 4 negatives; this must be legit! image Just think of the advantages of having wings on your coins. Pockets full? Just tether all of that change together and let 'em spread their wings. Just make sure you secure the other end of the line!image

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • "Winged Roosies"!

Ya gotta love it! image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Creative selling for sure.
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Sean... I emailed the seller and he has pulled the auction. image
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    hey!!! check out my signature line!!!

had it since day 1.

K S
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm I wooda thought it was from where they broke the coin off the thing, let me see I know what I'm trying to say but I can't think it. You know where the parts for model cars are all molded together on a tree and you have to twist them apart and trim the sprue off with an exacto knife before you glue them together.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    I also emailed the seller of the waffled coin. The sellers father emailed me back and said I was stupid! image He said he works at a metal plant and he got it from someone who got it from someone who works where they make the rolls of clad for the mint and it is real!! LOL I gave him Fred Weinbergs email address and told him if I was stupid maybe he should email someone who has seen the wafflers in action and call them stupid too!! image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin was probably part of a ring that was broken off.

What's so experimental about it?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    but Occam's (or Ockham's) Razor states that in the face of several possible explanations for a phenomenon, the simplest is usually the correct one.

Yes, but Ebay's Razor states that in the face of several possible explanations for a phenomenon, the one that nets you the most payola is the angle you use.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!

I love that explanation Baccaruda!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I guess it didn't fly
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........if the good friar were alive to witness some of what actually works today, he'd probably be found face down on the wine cellar floor!! his is a razor that cuts deep.

al h.image
  • HEY!...Don't be talkin' bout' Razor like dat..image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file