Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chance cross over or leave alone?

I have 7 MS65 Paramount holdered Morgans 1881-1885 CC's and 1878 (8TF) and 1878CC. My question is: Should I send to PCGS and try cross over to MS65 and reholder then to prevent furher toning from the original holders or shiould I leave them alone? I would like to have them in holders that will fit my albums or other morgans (eagle cert holder album) and also be able to add them to a PCGS registry set someday. Any experience with this? I too don't know if PCGS would put"Paramount" on the holder like they do for GSA's?

Any help would be appreciated?
Thanks.....Waltimage

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    If they are Redfield Morgans, if you ask the will put Redfield on the holder. The chances of crossing are slim, if you want them in PCGS holders you will have to state "Cross at ANY grade" in the submission form.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think PCGS will put Paramount on the slabs. Since you're wanting them to fit into an album, that's fine. From what I've seen, your chances of getting them to cross at 65 isn't the best. Ultimately, I think it's best to do it if you feel the cost and time is worth it.

Neil
  • Options
    Will taking them out if they do cross at MS65 reduce their value from the "Paramount" value?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Other people who specialize in Morgans more than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but a paramount holder reading MS-65 doesn't carry much weight. If it actually crossed at the same grade to PCGS it would be worth more in PCGS. But the grade they give it would likely be the same value grade that you'd get for it in the market so you probably won't lose value except for the perception value of MS-65 (if, for example, PCGS grades it 63).
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Even after the coin crosses at a lower grade, I'd bet that it will sell for better money. This assumes that PCGS gives it a MS grade. If the coin comes back AU, then you'll loose money.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grading of the Redfield dollars was a joke. The coins should be more marketable in PCGS holders.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Link to post.

I don't believe that Redfield holders are tamper proof. We will pedigree to Redfield and GSA, i.e. we'll put "Refield" or "GSA" on the PCGS insert. We don't have any plans to put a PCGS sticker on a Redfield or GSA holder.

Thanks.

David
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as grade it will depend on the coin(s) themself and would ignore the grade on the paramount holder.
    Some people have bought paramount holdered morgans that were undergraded at 65 so you need to look at the coins.

If you can post good pictures of the coins I am sure you can get a good idea here what they might grade.
  • Options
    nemesis...PM sent...if they say Redfield on the Paramount red holder...DON'T CRACK THEM !!
  • Options

<< <i>The grading of the Redfield dollars was a joke. The coins should be more marketable in PCGS holders. >>

You gotta remember, they were graded back when all you had was MS 60 and MS 65...most of them I see in red slabs are in the 63-64 range.

As for marketable...that's debateable....if they are in actual Paramount Redfield slabs (with the word Redfield Collection printed on and not just the generic Paramount red slab)...the coin would get much more money from us Redfield fans than a generic PCGS 78-CC in MS 63.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The grading of the Redfield dollars was a joke. The coins should be more marketable in PCGS holders. >>

You gotta remember, they were graded back when all you had was MS 60 and MS 65...most of them I see in red slabs are in the 63-64 range.

As for marketable...that's debateable....if they are in actual Paramount Redfield slabs (with the word Redfield Collection printed on and not just the generic Paramount red slab)...the coin would get much more money from us Redfield fans than a generic PCGS 78-CC in MS 63. >>

You really have to make the call on what the grade will be. I have seen Redfield "65's" that were no better than "60". I'll agree that the very low grade ones are probably worth more, in theory, in the Redfield holders. There are a lot more collectors who would like their Morgans in PCGS if they are actually the higher grades. I know that many members of the forum like the pedigreed coins but I am one of those wouldn't pay a penny extra for any pedigree.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    point taken fifth....Redfields are kind of a niche in the collector market
  • Options
    I will try to scan and post. They are NOT Redfield Collection. They are merely Paramount mount red back holdered coins all stating MS65. I will try to scan this eveneing and post so p[ossibly someone here could estimate the grade through the holders. I would like to stop the heavy toning process by reholding them in PCGS. But don't want to lose the premium money I spent on them as being a select holdered cion ie: paramount.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file