Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

50 stotinki

50 stotinki

Alright, it's a nice and rare coin, but a reserve over $100 is a wee bit optimistic, methinks.

These usually cost anywhere between 50 and 100 leva (25 to 50 euro) here in Bulgaria, and this example would bring bring no more than that. There is simply no circulated version, no matter what Krause says.
4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The professional manner in which the coin is presented, and the guarantees offered would probably allow me the same confidence in bidding as with a slabbed coin. There is a strong comfort level (at least to me) in the overall presentation of this piece. The same would apply to other e-bay auctions I browse. Most selling members here are able to present their pieces in this manner, after one fashion or another.
    You'll notice the absence of hysterical hype (2 uses of "scarce" is permitted) and threatening insults to prospective buyersimage Someone posted an auction the other day like that-it was a real hoot-oh yeah, "want to buy just to neg seller" I believe.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I don't want to seem negative, but I am. I can not fault the sellers feed-back, but I would want a few much better photos before I would bid.

From what I saw it looked cleaned (dipped) to me.

Ok..now slam me. I am no expert on these coins, it was of a comment on the photo.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    If true, goes to show I'm too trusting, again...
  • Options
    laurentyvan
    That was just an uninformed observation of mine, that a few dollars would get to a Starbucks.

It was just my limited observation. No offense meant to you, other posters or the seller.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Nah.. I don't think it's been cleaned. I could be wrong, though. But from what I've seen of these they're usually that nice semi-frosty kind of unc. If that's the case then, yeah, that's hard to get a nice pic of..

Even so, I'd have to agree with Philip.. I don't think the seller will get what he's looking for on this, they just don't sell that high. Really annoying too, these optimistic ebay sellers image Remember what we always say when someone asks about Krause and darkside prices.. in a few cases it's low but in most it's way too high.. this is a nice example of the latter.

Another annoying thing: reserves image
  • Options
    It was just my limited observation. No offense meant to you, other posters or the seller.

No offense taken, I'm sure. You apologize too quickly my friend.image

You've kinda proved my point though-if I can't tell whether or not it's been cleaned, I will depend on the manner in which the coin is presented to guide me, as long as there are reasonable return privileges. The images aren't bad-maybe not the best, but certainly not bad.
  • Options
    I've bought a couple of medals from this seller that were nice but a little over-priced. That said, in each case they were something I was actively collecting at that time. I'll pay a bit of a premium when I'm looking for a particular piece but not the multiples that it sounds like in this case. The pics are good for eBay but it's particularly tough to get a good representation on a bright silver or dark copper, at least for me...
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    This is a great example of how you really have to trust a seller. image
  • Options
    Dip Dip Dip

Mark

Sorry for no reason why I think it was dipped. I see a lot of small scratchers in the picture I get and at the top in the beading to the right of the head it looks like some dark color in the beads that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the coin. Just my feelings. Also from past albanian slver I have seen at shows it seems a high proportion of it was dipped so I guess I just start out suspiscious on these coins.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Really? It doesn't seem dipped to me.. the pic is pretty decent as far as ebay goes also considering the material.. the seller seems nice/honest enough.. I just don't agree with the price.
  • Options
    I don't know ... it seems to have decent luster, but with that pic I just can't tell if it's been dipped. If I were interested in it, I'd ask the seller about it.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>Dip Dip Dip

Mark

Sorry for no reason why I think it was dipped. I see a lot of small scratchers in the picture I get and at the top in the beading to the right of the head it looks like some dark color in the beads that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the coin. Just my feelings. Also from past albanian slver I have seen at shows it seems a high proportion of it was dipped so I guess I just start out suspiscious on these coins. >>

The history of this coin is such that, if genuine, it has spent some time in a soldier's pants or socks. These were used to pay the Bulgarian soldiers fighting at the western front during WWI. From what I have heard, they started distributing the 50 stotinki first, the Lev second and the 2 Leva last. Later on, as the distribution was taking place an order came that all coins are given back. Most of them were given back and subsequently remelted, but a small portion of these were taken away by the soldiers and still exist today. This is the reason why the 2 Leva is an extremely scarce piece - because the smallest number of those was distributed. Even the National Bank's museum does not own two pieces in its collection.

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Tbh, I don't think it has been dipped. From what I can see, it looks like the 1910 and 1913 50 stotinki in my collection, that are of similar quality.

Yes, my 1912 has been cleaned, and rather harshly in fact. Should have looked closer, but for a one-euro coin I did not give the attention necessary image