Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Great times at Hollywood Park show this weekend

Just got back from the Hollywood Park show, I was quite pleased. As for sales, my target was $4000 and we ended up doing about $4500-$5000, so nice there. My new partner and I (haven't even told ya'll that I took on a 12% partner in late December) were for the most part really disorganized, but despite that we pulled through alright. We were set up outside the first day and it was clear that we only had about 1/3rd as much traffic as the indoor tables, so we paid extra to move inside for Saturday and Sunday.

Naxcom threw a class-act dealer reception at the end of Friday with some decent food (the two free drink tickets were the real steal), solid door gifts (GAI 9 LeBron SI for Kids to every dealer, PSA calendar, some Ultra Pro supplies, etc), and a private signing just for the dealers with Steve Yeager and Bob Golic. Being the nut I am I had to take advantage of the free autographs, so when I got up to Yeager I asked him to personalize it "Steve Yeager, Giants Suck, Dodgers Rule!". He laughed and wrote up to the word Dodgers and stopped and said "I can't write Dodgers Rule, they don't rule. How about Dodgers Suck too!" Everyone laughed and sure enough he wrote it. Another dealer from Alaska asked Golic to personalize his "Screech is a (homosexual)", and Golic was about to do it, but then told us that Screech was mad at him for talking about him in the past (if you're not following the Screech deal then you weren't part of the Saved By the Bell generation like I was, Golic was on the show for a season or two as the Basketball Coach I think). I ended up getting Golic to personalize it "To Baseball Card Heaven, My brother is at ESPN but I'm the one with all the talent, Bob Golic". If anyone wants to see scans I might be able to get them up later.

I was hoping maybe a few more of you fellow members would drop by and say hi, all I met was NickM this weekend. Anybody else attend?
Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com

Comments

• Options
    Where were you setup at?

PSA was setup in their usual spot but I'm not sure how they felt sitting across from "Silicon Street" and "Botox Blvd".
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    Great call on Bob Golic and Saved by the Bell. Hate to admit that I know this, but I think he was an RA, which might be even more ridiculous than a basketball coach.

Do you get better prices/deals from fellow dealers than the average person?
  • Options
    PSA was setup in their usual spot but I'm not sure how they felt sitting across from "Silicon Street" and "Botox Blvd".

I wouldn't have minded sitting there all weekend, although I even thought the two girls working for PSA were hot. I wonder if Joe Orlando planned that? It would be almost subliminal; should I grade my cards with BGS and that 400 lb. Texas guy that they send to all the shows, or grade with PSA and two hot 22-28 year old girls. Hmmm, way to go Joe.
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, no wonder I didn't see you there. I knew you were going to be set up outside, so that's where I looked on Saturday. I wasn't even paying attention to the dealers' faces inside. I had a decent show, and a nice breakfast with NickM, Vargha, and Griffins beforehand (more on that later).

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...