Home Q & A Forum
Options

Selling to a dealer

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
HRH:

There was an interesting thread on the U.S. coin board about a collector selling his or her coins to a dealer. Many posters suggested that auctioning the coins via eBay or using an established coin firm was a better way for a collector to sell his or her coins. I presume that you have, at times, purchased coins from collectors, so what are your thoughts: How should a collector maximize his or her profit when selling coins?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark,

I believe it depends upon the types of coins involved. If you have a great set...a top of the Registry quality set...I believe you'll probably get the best prices at auction.

For a random assortment of coins, you can go the auction route, or call dealers and ask for offers. One of the nice things about PCGS coins is that most dealers will make offers over the phone.

The eBay route is labor intensive and you have to deal with the flakes and reneggers. It's OK if you have the time and patience.

The most important thing is to check around and don't surrender to the first warm body that comes your way.

David