Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numistrust Corporation?

Hi all,
I purchased a slabed Kennedy on ebay that had been graded by the above.
They graded it as MS-66, it is a 1974 but when I look at the coin, it just doesn't seem to be what they say it is. It looks more like a MS-63 or 64.
According to Coin Magazine, in MS-66, it lists at $25.00, I paid $10.00 for it, including shipping and insurance.
Does anyone have experience with Numistrust Corp., I have been to there website, but that really doesn't tell me anything?
Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Comments

• Options
    I think the general consensus is that NTC is bad:

See these threads

Thread 1
    Thread 2
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
    Not all slabs are created equal. I think you just learned that the same way I did, although you got by more cheaply. That is why I only want to deal with PCGS slabbed coins (NGC or ANACS in some cases) from now on. It seems that anybody can come up with a slab now and slap any grade on the coin that they feel like. After watching many many eBay auctions I can now spot the newbie bidding too high on a Numistrust slab. Don't feel bad, I paid $300 for an NTC MS-66 that is worth about $75. I learned the hard way on that one. I went out and bought some books, read the messages in this forum and others, and in short got an education on coins that I should have gotten before I got the bidding fever. Hang in there
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    There's an alternate spelling to Numistrust and that would be NewMistrust... who would have thought up something like that?

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    $10 isn't much, so thats good..

until your grading skills improve, stick with the big three, being PCGs, NGC and ANACs.....

and even with these cats you still have to access the coin....

buy books on grading, goto coin shows, look at as many graded coins as you can.....

you will learn what each service likes for a particular grade in their holders... Once you have learned this, theres no stopping
    what you can do..... Power baby... empower and equip your self.....

Coming to this forum..... is a good start! image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Comp

i actually like the appearance of the slab itself. i think what this company did wrong was attempt to gain market share and collector notice by rushing many, many slabs out the door without grading to a very strict standard. unlike some of the maligned companies who seem to have across the board mis-graded coins in their holders, NumisTrust seems to have some that are properly graded and others that aren't. the end result is that collectors/dealers tend to err on the side of caution and avoid their holders. if you have some series you wherein you feel confident about your ability to grade, you might be able to find some nice bargains.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file