Home Q & A Forum
Options

Market

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many bull markets have there been in coins before 1964?

What are the true signs of a declining market in coins from your perspective?

Thanks

Tbig

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Big...I'm not that old!!!

What I've heard is that the first real coin collecting boom was in the late 1850s as large cent and half cent production was discontinued. There was a pretty big run-up in silver commem prices in the mid-1930s. There was a huge post-War (WWII) coin boom as liesure time and descretionary income increased. The real big bull market was 1960 to 1964.

After that we had bull markets in 1971-74...1977-1980...1983-89...and now 2002-2004.

Signs to watch for before a market top are...
    1. A major upward price explosion, such as we had in late 1979/early 1980, and 1989.
    2. The strong desire by everyone you know to mortgage their house and by coins.

So far, we haven't seen any of the above in this bull market.

After the market peaks, you'll see big dips in price and extreme reluctance on the part of dealers to buy coins at virtually any price.

All of the above said...I believe the current bull market will run for 2 or 3 more years and the rate of price increases will accelerate. The market could go longer than 3 years if it got some help from inflation and gold bullion. I think the current market is very healthy and I'm very bullish about the next 24 to 36 months.

David