Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Who are PSA's top 20 collectors?

Not sure how to bring this up and I'm not looking to point out who has the best collection( we'll leave that sort of thing for PSA to decide), or who owns the card worth the most money.Nothing like that at all.This is not intended to be a popularity contest so hopefully this topic won't go in that direction.

What I'm curious about are the most commonly known the as big players with PSA and who is possibly inside the top 10 or 20 for most cards inside the PSA part of their collection.They may be on or off the registry and board.

Thanks!

Comments

• I'm wondering who the McBride guy is that leads the 61 set. 8.83 out of 8.9 possible - amazing for a 40 year old mass produced set. It must be a killer.
  • You think his set is something. You should feast your eyes on his website and the prices he gets for his discards.

Buckwheat (McBride) is the unabashed expert in 1961 Topps. He wrote the book on the pricing model. He's got a #471-Rizutto PSA 7. In the comment, he says a recent 8 went for over $200. (SMR is $75.) I sniped one on ebay recently for $188 and change. Dang if I didn't win the thing.

People such as BW and Ron Ritt in 1968 concentrate almost exclusively on one year. They practically corner the market on the super high grade stuff and end up setting the Registry scores.

Others such as the recently departed Davalillo spread themselves a mile wide and an inch deep and end up with 97% complete sets in 7.86 GPA. Also mighty impressive, but in a different way, wouldn't you agree?

Most of the collectors I run with are somewhere in between and are almost as happy as both extremes.
  • I've been to Buckwheat's site several times. Didn't know it was he that was leading the way though. Unbelieveable. Hell the cards he's got for sale on his site are priced well, and compose probably 60% of a nice set by themselves.

Nice job, buckwheat!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Of the publically known players, I feel safe in disclosing the following:

Top tier:
    Charlie Merkel (not 100% clear how the PSA/GAI breakdown anymore....)
    Marshall Fogel
    Don Louchios
    John Branca
    Dmitri Young
    Marshall Fogel

Up there:
    Ron Hobbs
    Andy Kaplan
    Tom Candiotti (not sure how much he consigned to certain dealers....)
    The Rabbi
    Levi Bleam
    Brian Seigel

There are about 20-30 other names I could name, but I don't think many of them are necessarily "outted" in the hobby.

Also -- Rob, just want to make sure that you are only counting PSA collectors. There are NUMEROUS individuals out there who concentrate on pre-war cards who have fantastic collections of sometimes unique and/or singular cards. The vast majority of them are not graded -- and many may not be in any decade soon.

For example, one of the biggest pre-war "outted" collectors of (primarily) raw cards is Keith Olbermann.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

• << <i>Top tier:
    Charlie Merkel (not 100% clear how the PSA/GAI breakdown anymore....)
    Marshall Fogel
    Don Louchios
    John Branca
    Dmitri Young
    Marshall Fogel >>

Fogel is sooooo big he is 2nd AND 6th on the list!!!!!
    WOW!

imageimage
  • what about Tom Candiotti? from what i read in Orlando's book he has some nice stuff

<< <i>what about Tom Candiotti? from what i read in Orlando's book he has some nice stuff >>

I mentioned Candiotti in my list. But, as I said, it did seem as if a number of his better cards were consigned to some dealers. I don't think too too many of them sold, and I am presently unsure of their status (e.g. if they went back to Candiotti or not).

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Also -- Rob, just want to make sure that you are only counting PSA collectors. There are NUMEROUS individuals out there who concentrate on pre-war cards who have fantastic collections of sometimes unique and/or singular cards. The vast majority of them are not graded -- and many may not be in any decade soon.

For example, one of the biggest pre-war "outted" collectors of (primarily) raw cards is Keith Olbermann. >>

Marc,I'm not sure what's the best way to about designing the top 20 list.I figured mostly on who is the largest customer of PSA over collections and alternate grading companies in general.

• BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I would add Carl Albero to the list. He has purchased a ton of quality PSA slabs in the past couple of years.

John
    I'm sure we can add or remove from this list but that's 14 named so far.Anybody else that we can add and then narrow it down to the top 20.

Rob McBride
    Charlie Merkel
    Marshall Fogel
    Don Louchios
    John Branca
    Dmitri Young
    Marshall Fogel
    Ron Hobbs
    Andy Kaplan
    Tom Candiotti
    The Rabbi
    Levi Bleam
    Brian Seigel
    Carl Albero

<< <i>I'm sure we can add or remove from this list but that's 14 named so far.Anybody else that we can add and then narrow it down to the top 20. >>

Rob:

I think that most of the rest of the individuals that would be on the list (if even such a "list" exists...) would rather not be named....

Add Davalillo to the list...I would rank him #5.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that most of the rest of the individuals that would be on the list (if even such a "list" exists...) would rather not be named.... >>

Something tells me that if Mr. Crandall was still posting here he'd
    be protesting that his name wasn't on the list yet.

<< <i>Add Davalillo to the list...I would rank him #5. >>

Oops, John, thanks. I think when I initially ranked Marshall twice, I meant to put Jim in there.

I was sort of guessing the Jim was probably closer to #6 or #7 now. From a [real] outsider's point of view, I'm fairly confident that John Branca and Dmitri have cumulatively outspent Jim enough over the past two years to cause an overall shift in the rankings. If I had to speculate (and god forbid something on this board be officially termed a "rumour"), but I'm thinking that one of the Top 10 collectors will be coming up with a very innovative way to let collectors know what he has in his collection (perhaps something that will trump the Registry...)

<< <i>Rob:I think that most of the rest of the individuals that would be on the list (if even such a "list" exists...) would rather not be named.... >>

Haven't most already been named (in one way or another) around here?

If it stirring up a hornets nest then this can be dropped. image

Anybody has a problem with this question just PM me and the thread is gone.

<< <i>I had to speculate (and god forbid something on this board be officially termed a "rumour"), but I'm thinking that one of the Top 10 collectors will be coming up with a very innovative way to let collectors know what he has in his collection (perhaps something that will trump the Registry...) >>

Hmmm....my guess is a display in the HOF ?
  • achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    How about the museum of sports history. They're in the lead on a number of modern sets. A lot of cards there.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Earlier this year Marshall Fogel posted a very profound message after the registry awards were announced. Here is an excerpt:

I wish to congratulate all of the award winners. It is certainly a rewarding experience to have been able to obtain such a goal. I, myself, have had to opportunity to share in receiving the various PSA awards.

I do believe that the awards "play" a secondary role to the primary rewards that come about from collecting. The rewards that I speak to are the friendships gained from the message board, card shows and conventions that all bring about the exchange of knowledge and the experience of helping each other in our collecting needs.

The Collector Universe-----PSA experience, where we participate, has caused, through our joint energies the attracting and magnetizing of others to become a part so as to expand the population of those of us who truly believe there is a value in collecting whether it be for the enjoyment alone of for the additional benefit of investing for the "future."

In speaking for myself and others who believe as I do that for those of us who can afford to collect the high grade and the more expensive cards, that we have an equal respect and admiration for all regardless of the level of collecting as we also share in the common enjoyment, interests and friendships brought about, as previously mentioned, through the Collectors Universe---PSA experience.

I believe collecting goes way beyond just opening up a wallet and throwing a bunch of money at cards. Don't get me wrong, most of the collectors named so far are truly gentlemen of the hobby. But I agree with Mr. Fogel - the biggest rewards are the friendships gained from the message board, card shows and conventions that all bring about the exchange of knowledge and the experience of helping each other in our collecting needs. To me, the people that promote this way of collecting are the "top collectors". Do all of these "top collectors" named so far show an equal respect and admiration for all regardless of the level of collecting? Just something to think about.

Mr. Fogel's Message
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Museum of Sports History has closed their sets to view, but when they had some of their master sets open (such as 2001 SP Legendary Cuts), they had a significant number of cards in that one set that would sell for in excess of $1000 - the tough SP autographs, including 1/1 and 1/2 HOFers. I believe that they have to rank in the top 20 in terms of total value of PSA graded collection.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    For newer cards Dorsay Bryant and Museum of Sports History have to be placed on the list. Both have incredible collections where the monetary value exceed some the value of some of the big vintage collections.
    To me, the people that promote this way of collecting are the "top collectors". Do all of these "top collectors" named so far show an equal respect and admiration for all regardless of the level of collecting? Just something to think about.

If they don't they should.

There isn't much to hang your hat on for the opposite.

Marshall is great!

• kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Marshall Fogel is a class act. I have read similar messages from Brian Siegal who has one of the top collections out there. Those guys are the ones that we should all aspire to be. Not only are they successful in their professional lives and not only have they amassed huge wonderful sportscards collections, Fogel and Siegel take the time to share their collections with the public and they take time to communicate with regular collectors.

• I cast my only vote for the great Frank Bakka. Not only is he the respected leader of the monster 1972 Topps clan, he is also a great person. He always has something good to say about everyone and their collections. He understands that this is not just collecting of cards, it's collecting of quality people as friends. My collections have always paled in comparison to his but he still always made me feel like mine were some of the best around. He is a great spokeman for card collecting and for PSA as a whole. I have had dealings with many nice (and not so nice) people since starting my first PSA graded collection. However, I have never met anyone like Frank Bakka. I'm proud to call him my friend. That is the reason that whenever I say his name in these threads, I always add "the Great" in front of his name. In my book he is. Neil (Neil B. Downey and Sons Collections).
  • Anyone who put my name on the list needs to see a Doctor quickly. There is no way in he** that I belong on a list with Fogel, Branca, Davalillo, Merkel, etc. Heck, anybody with a complete 50's set at PSA 8 is ahead of me.

I appreciate the kind words, but let's be realistic.

As far as the big collectors, Marshall is the only one that I have met, or spent much time talking to. He is truly a class act. And as an obstetrician, that is very hard to say about a trial lawyer.image He has always encouraged me, and if I have any questions about sets or card collecting, or memorabilia collecting, he is always willing to spend the time to share his experience and knowledge.

Also, I would add King Kellog to the list. Great collections, and a big heart to go with them.

Rob
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I'm with Buck,

Sure... I may be a roguish, handsome, devil with a knack for 72's and a smattering of other cards but I have to figure that I am around number 1388 on PSA's top 20 collector list (not counting dealers).

So, while I appreciate the honor of being mentioned with these other PSA "players", if PSA ran a hip "Card Club" downtown, I'd still be on line while the folks mentioned above would have that velvet rope moved aside so that they could go right on in...

But... I think we might also want to think about where Chris Renaud and Dave Jacobs stand. They may not be in the "elite" crowd just yet, but I believe that they're moving up quicker than most.

Just my two cents.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Buckwheat...

Hey Rob... Thanks for the kind words.

I really don't know how many cards I have. I stopped counting them (now I just weigh 'em...image..)

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!

• << <i>Buckwheat...

Hey Rob... Thanks for the kind words.

I really don't know how many cards I have. I stopped counting them (now I just weigh 'em...image..)

Larry >>

Larry,

How much do they weigh? I'll do the math and tell you how many cards you have! image

JEB.
  • card shows? conventions? someone asked me if I'd met Marshall Fogel and I told him
    I haven't met ANYONE on these boards. Darn...big card show in Atlantic City last year,
    even something about PSA Set Registrants would be some kind of special guest and
    I still missed it.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967and 1973 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. Once had the #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for oddball Norm Cash and Cleon Jones stuff, and 1956 team cards
    So far,a lot of great collectors with lots of great cards.20 probably should be a Top 50 when it comes to what each PSA collector has to offer for such diverse collecting appetite.

1) Rob McBride
    2) Charlie Merkel
    3) Marshall Fogel
    4) Don Louchios
    5) John Branca
    6) Dmitri Young
    7) Marshall Fogel
    8) Ron Hobbs
    9) Andy Kaplan
    10) Tom Candiotti
    11) The Rabbi
    12) Levi Bleam
    13) Brian Seigel
    14) Carl Albero
    15) BW 1968
    16) Ron Ritt
    17) Jim Crandall
    18) Dorsay Bryant
    19) Frank Bakka
    20 Chris Renaud
    21) Dave Jacobs
    22) KING KELLOGG

• Rob,

Is that in order of who has the best collection?

Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com

CDC4-

I would say that is a partial list in regards to best collections. There are several other guys that wish to keep thier collections secret...

I would love to "name drop" but cannot.

John

<< <i>Rob,

Is that in order of who has the best collection? >>

CDC,absolutely not.

This list is not one to put in order from best to worst.In fact,I don't even think you could do a list with that meaning and any of these notable collectors.Each of these collectors all have one thing in common "PSA",however, each offers something a little different from the next in their collection.

There is no way one could say any are above or below one another.Most of us wouldn't need our arms twised or a gun put to our head if we were offered what any of them have.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I wonder how much this has changed?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James Spence?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I think it's changed a fair amount- Buckwheat is still around, but don't think his '61 set is anymore. John Branca sold his sets but heard he was starting up a bit again, and Dmitri Young sold off all of his recently. Tom Candiotti consigned a lot to a few dealers and there was some legal issues, and Brian Siegel sold the PSA 8 Wagner.
    King Kellogg is a good friend (staying with us next week) and is out of the hobby- he's buying and selling currency. I see Frank Bakka on FB but he's long since dropped out of the hobby, as has Chris Renaud after some ugly close minded attacks made against him on this board. Haven't seen Dave Jacobs in a few years and don't think he's very active either. Museum of Sports History ran into some legal issues and sold his cards, and believe he's got a new address these days.
    Jim Crandall surpassed his lofty goal of 100 pre '72 sets in PSA 8 or better and kept on going, and of course Levi is still collecting and selling. I guess it's the normal attrition given it's been 8+ years since this thread started, and there are some new faces in the hobby, but it seems like there are more leaving than jumping in these days. Hope that changes.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I knew someone would be familiar with many of the people on that list. Anthony, thanks for the update!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Can't believe Don Spence hasn't been mentioned. I'd put him at #1 on this list.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops I meant Don Spence not James.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    Don Spence should have been the first guy mentioned in my opinion too. His collection is top notch and he is very active in improving all of his sets not just a couple like some mentioned in the top 20.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    I think an important aspect includes "what do we define as PSA" here.

I say that specifically, as some individuals on the list have perhaps diversified out of their graded card portfolios and moved to more of a memorabilia portfolio. As PSA is involved in autographs, GU bats and other forms of memorabilia authentication and grading, it is quite possible that some on that list may still well belong there, but for different reasons than before.

Is the Rabbi still actively collecting? I know he had sold off a number of his sets a few years back.

I would add Ken Kendrick to the list; as many have eluded to, Spence belongs in the top 5.

• ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 826 ✭✭✭
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey RobE,
    Are you aware, every time you post, people reading anything on that page receive a login popup request to sign in to your virtualizard.5u.com account? >>

you guys do realize that this is a thread from 2004 that was brought back up right?
    Rob E left the hobby in 2006, JEB (virtualizard) about the same time. Don Spence was just starting in '04, not even on the radar then. It would be a completely different list now.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Was I the only one surprised that Don Spence didn't go wild in the Dimitri Young auction? I would have bet my 1st born that he was going to win the Clemente and a few others. I thought it was odd. Maybe the stuff was too new for him.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss a lot of the collectors/forum members from that era. I hope some of them will return some day. Eric Oleander should be considered. With his nearly complete PSA 9 1971 Topps baseball set as well as the Dmitri Young cards he purchased and other high profile cards he purchased in recent years, that would put him in the conversation.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I miss a lot of the collectors/forum members from that era >>

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Ive heard they've all moved on to better things.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting: you'd think Stephen Solloway would have been mentioned at some point. But it seems like he burst onto the scene and was gone before this was revived.
    Wow..this thread was a trip down memory lane.

Davalillo about 9-10 others on the list have stood the test of time.
  • Everybody has different objectives in collecting. For me, the investing part is great, but there is also a huge sentimental component. I started collecting in the early 80s as a kid, and my dad used to take me to shows and bring me home rack packs from toys r us. I remember in 1987 he would go to Toys R Us and bring me home rack packs with stars on top...that is how he would spend his lunch hour as a executive. It taought me a lot about what it means to be a good father and about creating memories with your kids. As a teen he would schlep me to the East Coast National in White Plains where I would try to stretch my $200 or whatever I had saved up from my summer job as far as it could go.

Collecting at a different level as an adult and with different means is fun, but when I had my own son a little over a year ago, that's when I got really psyched up to build something special for him to pass on and hope that when he gets older he will be interesed in baseball, football, basketball, and of course vintage sportscards.

In any event, it is the journey and not the destination that is what counts. You cant take your cards with you when you die (I mean I guess technically you could, but that would wreak havoc with the pop report lol).

EOMINT