Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A 1916 Buffalo Nickel That Just About Gave Me A Heart Attack

WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
I returned from a regional coin show last night with a 1916 Buffalo nickel and when I looked at it closer
with better lighting, I saw doubling on the coin. I was pretty excited for a moment until I realized it's just
machine doubling. Have any of you had one of those moments where you think you just made a killer coin
deal only to come crashing back to Earth a second later when you realize it just isn't so?

The reverse has really cool color and it's slightly rotated.

Very Large Obverse Image

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin... had you had a heart attack, could I have gotten it? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    "Have any of you had one of those moments where you think you just made a killer coin
    deal only to come crashing back to Earth a second later when you realize it just isn't so?"

Not in a long time. Still, it's fun while it lasts.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Have any of you had one of those moments where you think you just made a killer coin

I was at a show a few months ago looking at raw MS Franklins. I picked up a 2x2 marked 1953-S with a price of about $15-20 or so. I glanced at the obverse- MS63, then flipped it over and saw FULL BELLINES!!!. and started to feel a big Cha Ching coming on. The bell lines seemed a bit odd though as they did not look like other '53-Ss I've seen and heard about. I then noticed the "D" mintmark.

Of course such a '53-D is common, and if it was a '53-S, well, they quite a bit scarcerimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Well, glad you didn't have that heart attack. That's a beautiful coin regardless.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    I did that with a "Copper" 1943 Wheatie.... but I did the magnet test and it failed... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Gorgeious buff. But it's sooooooo old. I have a nice shiny new one I'll trade for it! image

I had to try -
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember once, so long ago now, when I first started collecting, and my grandfather gave me a box of old coins.
    I wrote down all the dates, and found the mint marks if there were any.

My father said he would keep them in a safe palce until I was a bit older.

A couple of years later, my grandfather passed away, and my grandmother asked if I had that special twenty cent piece. I looked it up, and there it was on the list I had made before. Yes I said, here it is , a 1876-CC.

The next day she bought me a Red Book, for 1960, and we looked up the unusual twenty cent piece. It was worth $500. I could not contain my excitement. I begged my father to get the coins, so I could have a coin dealer inspect it and give me his opinion.

When I looked up the coin in the Red Book, and having the coin in my hand, it wasn't a twenty cent piece, but a quarter dollar. Yes it was an 1876-CC, but my heart sank.

That's about the best "close, but no cigar" story that I have.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Another Beautiful toner! Way to go!

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Buffalo.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    It is actually nice machine doubling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file