Home U.S. Coin Forum

It's easy to buy coins.....it's an entire drama to UNLOAD....what about these monster million dollar

How are they gonna sell? It has been said on these boards that tens of millions of dollars of Proof Gold has been going overseas. How do effectively sell that much gold when the time comes to book profits? These guys can't be collector's, purely investors, right? Go figure.
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    what makes you so sure that there are not many different owners over there?

they may buy and sell amongst themselves -

they may have a dealer/broker that handles this for them -

naybe in the future you will be traveling overseas for a monster auction
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are true investors they sell as the market is starting to peak.
    No true investor times the market at the peak everytime or even once. They sell into strong upswings when they have reached their goals. Those that wait for the ultimate peak get slaughtered....those are not investors....but sheep. There is plenty of time for tens of millions of dollars of proof gold to be sold w/o killing the market.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Several large US coin dealers have a presence in Europe and elsewher throughout the world.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the difference between US and Asain investors and businesses is what is perceived as long term

for many in the US, long term is 6 quarters away, not 60 years
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know who's buying these coins, or even if they really are going overseas. I'll just make a casual observation. Central Banks around the world are getting seriously overloaded with dollars. Although the mechanisms that would allow for it are unclear, it seems likely that some of those dollars will somehow be repatriated through the purchase of hard assets - including coins - that can be paid for in dollars.

For a wild and unlikely example, imagine China's Central Bank demanding that its big exporters spend some of their burgeoning piles of dollars on hard assets in the US. This would allow China to keep its currency at its current (artificial) level for a bit longer, thereby supporting their export based manufacturers. US coins would be a natural place to spend a SMALL amount of that money. It actually makes sense, except that I've never heard a peep from anyone indicating that our proof gold is going to China. But you get the idea...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Andy economist.....thank goodness you weren't a central banker.

So China is buying Proof Gold........
    Collecting since 1976.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Thanks Andy! image. K
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Japanese have spent something like $160 BILLION in our treasuries in the past 6 months. Some proof gold is probably ending up there as Andy postulates. A lot of strength in the US coin market over the past 2 years could be attributed to this trend.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Japanese investors, accustomed to paying astronomic prices for Tokyo real estate, bid up the price of US trophy properties during the 1980s and then lost their A$$ when the bottom dropped out of the US commercial real estate market during the post-1986 tax reform real estate decline and the general economic recession that followed; then they took another incredible licking when the bottom dropped out of their own real estate market. They also overpaid for paintings by Impressionist masters. So if they are big buyers of US proof gold, I would not be in a big hurry to jump on their band wagon.

CG
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would jump on anybody's wagon if it were loaded with proof gold!!! I love it!!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file