Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out this classic head large cent i just won.

Only one more hole on the first page to fill now. What does everyone think? These ones are tough to get super nice, but I'm ok with this one.Classic Head Large Cent

Comments

• Options
    I am by no means an expert on these but I think you got a good deal! The fact that it's porous does not bother me too much on the very early coppers. A classic design and what appears to be a good strike on this one.

Good find!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks a little corroded but most copper that old is. Has a good amount of detail. Probably grade vf before the net. Might be a little bent, can't tell for sure from the picture though.

• Options
    If it's bent, the seller and I are going to have a problem.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but this coin has too much porosity for my liking. I think you should slow down your buying and go for fewer but better coins for your set. The supply of problem-free large cents dated before 1837 is very limited. The problem-free coins are what you should be targeting for aquisition.

My own feeling is that, over the next 5-20 years demand for problem coins such as yours is going to decline. This will be caused by a decline in the collector population. Some of this decline in the collector population will be the result of the aging of the group. Another factor in the decline will be the decline of the middle class. There are too many good paying jobs being either lost outright or being replaced with jobs that pay far less. The doors to cheap foreign labor have been opened and I doubt if they can be closed.

Coin collecting is going to be a hobby for the wealthy, just as it was in the 19th and early 20th century.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    vf details, porous, net vg-10 scudzy

K S
  • Options
    You got a fair deal, good detail, moderate porosity.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    classic head cents are tough! I've looked at dozens of 1812s (love the date and wanted my cent to be from 1812; did you know that only 3 denominations were minted in 1812?) Anyway, your coin is actually above average for detail, but slightly more porous than average. I think you got a decent deal at about 90 bucks, will likely cost more than twice that to find a better one for an upgrade. (looking for a smooth, chocolate brown plancet? GOOD LUCK!) Here's the one I settled on a while ago, will likely cost an arm and a leg to upgrade (which will have to wait image )

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The copper used in Classic Head cents was purer, I believe. (Or was it less pure? I forget.) Different, anyway, than the issues before and after, and far more prone to porosity, so if you ever see a nonporous one in any grade, grab it!

Nice coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It is kinda porous, but it has nice details. I like it. I won't hold its porousity against it. It is almost 200 years old.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    call me crazy but I myself ran across this problem while working on my son's Dansco Type book and I chose to try (if at all possible) to steer clear of problem coins. I would prefer a decent G4 over a porous VF or EF.
  • Options
    Considering that most surviving Classic Head Large Cents are found in scuzzy to About Good condition,
    I'd say you have a coin that is quite exceptional-looking-- even with the porousity. So I think you have a
    good combination: a scarce type coin ( they were struck in much smaller numbers than even the earlier Draped Bust Large Cents) in quite scarce preservation for the type.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my type set days, I had an 1810/09 in a SEGS F12 slab (no problem notations). I searched high and low for one with no problems, and settled on the SEGS coin because it had no notation on the label and decent eye appeal. It was micro-porous, though, and would have bagged at the Big Two or net-graded at ANACS. So it was a compromise coin, but a decent compromise.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i've been looking for months, and have seen for twice or three times the money, a little less porous, and FAR worse details. Overall I'm happy for this coin.........and lord, I believe it was because the copper was MORE pure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file