Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Doubled Die Proof Quarter?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a 2002 Indiana Proof Quarter. I was able to get some decent close up pics. Does this look like a doubled die obverse or just machine doubling? I have 3 proof sets with the exact same doubling. Any opinions appreciated.
imageimageimageimageimage
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• No, that's just machine doubling.
    imageimageimage
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I concur.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Pretty striking strike doubling. Cool.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Can you post a pic of the three different coins? Pick the same area on all three to take a picture. What puzzles me is that the doubling goes in more than 1 direction. Normally strike doubling will occur all in the same direction, like the NE corner will be doubled. Strike doubling also makes the metal look smeared, it has a different glow or shine than the rest of the coin. In your pics the "u" for instance shows doubling to the north the west and the south. Same with the "R" in the second pic. I am not convinced that its strike doubling. If all three of your coins are exactly identical you may want someone at CONECA take a look. John Wexler does Lincoln's and Brian Ribar does nickles. I am not sure who does quarter attribution but I am sure Brian or John would know.
  • I would guess that it's machine doubling, but clackamas makes a good suggestion regarding getting an expert attribution. If it is machine doubling, it's quite strong! Most machine doubling that I've seen in-hand is less pronounced than your examples.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
    Wexler and Ribar are with NCADD, not CONECA. Sending that coin to anyone for attribution as a doubled die would be a waste of time and funds. It's obvious machine doubling, and the images are plenty good enough to tell.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • a DD or MDD,I guess it depends on who has it.If one of the major players found it,it then would be a DD.Seeing that you have it,it is now a MDD and to top that off you have 3 of them.( they sure would love to have them).You would have some good points to argue about the one you pictured.I sure hope they all are DD.
    leon

<< <i>a DD or MDD,I guess it depends on who has it.If one of the major players found it,it then would be a DD.Seeing that you have it,it is now a MDD and to top that off you have 3 of them.( they sure would love to have them).You would have some good points to argue about the one you pictured.I sure hope they all are DD. >>

There actually is a true, real, and discernible difference that's very easy to tell for experienced observers. Your statement sounds harsh against someone for something and is incorrect. If anyone tried to publish photos of that coin as a doubled die they would immediately discredit themselves.

The main feature that immediately dispells that coin as a doubled die is the fact that the doubling is flat and shelf-like. It also does not make the profile of the letters at their base (where they meet the field) any wider as a true hub doubled die would. Two other hits against it are that it is a single squeeze die AND a proof, which are inspected much more closely than business strike dies.

No, this coin is not a doubled die. It can't be called a doubled die by anyone and make anyone else with any experience believe it. That simply doesn't happen with coins exhibiting such characteristics as the one in this thread.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:

My numismatic art work:
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    MDD, looks impressive but no splitting of the serifs.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agreed with C.D. in that it looks like machine doubling. What quirked my interest was that I had 3 sets showing the same doubling, and all 3 sets were sent to me by the mint at the same time. Is it common for machine doubling to repeat itself in such a similar fashion repetitively??? Here are similar pics of a similar spot on the 3 different quarters.
    coin 1: imageimage
    coin 2: imageimage
    coin 3: imageimage
  • seanq is on the board for CONECA, if anyone was interested, since someone mentioned CONECA
    -George
    42/92
  • Yep its strike doubling IMO pretty cool though.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins made by the same die have a strong tendency to stay together at the mint
    and then to even remain together after they leave the mint. This is especially true
    for proof coins since they are collected from the die and then moved to the packaging
    area. Consecutive proof sets are likely to have nearly consecutive strikes from the
    same die pair. This same thing occurs with mint set coins and even circulation issues.
    This is why varieties are normally released in one small geographical area.

It's not known exactly what causes machine doubling but it's usually associated with
    a loose press. Machines will generally achieve a sort of harmonic rythym and will tend
    to perform almost identically from one strike to the next. Whatever the cause of the
    doubling (even if doubled die) it will be repeated until a major change occurs or the
    rythym is interrupted.
    Tempus fugit.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your opinions. I know more now than I did when I first posted this thread. I can't ask for more. You guys are good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file