Home U.S. Coin Forum

NCS Slabbed, Cleaned Coins

If you had the oppertunity to buy NCS Slabbed,Cleaned Key coins(1955 DDO,1909-S IH) would you ?
Don
Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    In a heart beat.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    is it noted on the slab?

if so, then, sure probably so if i `needed it` .
    I think PCGS will do this also for certain coins and not just any coin.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    CAM 40
    Yes it is noted on the slab.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Cool. Your three for three in favor of.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the price was right for my opinion of the net grade, yes

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    No..just dont like conserved coins when there are other non-conserved out there. Now if its from an old sucken ship that would be differentimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No..just dont like conserved coins when there are other non-conserved out there. Now if its from an old sucken ship that would be differentimage >>

No one is talking about conserved coins. These are coins that were "cleaned" and it is denoted on the holders as such. The price reflects this. For some, it is the only way to afford certain coins.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably, if the price were right.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    absolutely
    in fact, if you ever find one of those in a 34S Dollar. Let me know.
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    If I liked the look of the coin, I would get it. I wouldn't buy just to fill a hole.
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    No one is talking about conserved coins. These are coins that were "cleaned" and it is denoted on the holders as such. The price reflects this. For some, it is the only way to afford certain coins.

Sorry I misunderstood

If reflected in price yes but only for the 1955 ddo since such a interesting coin regardless of cleaningimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Don I have two IHC's, one is a 1874 that should have slabbed. I paid a third of what I would have.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Definitely
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    BTW, NCS doesn't net grade their coins. They simply list the details grade and the problems. They leave it to the buyer to determine net grade. I prefer it that way.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    what does "ncs" have to do w/ the question? authenticity?

i'd buy such cleaned coins at the appropriate net value, regardless of "ncs".

K S
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    In a word Karl, marketability. Some of us haven't reached that 7th stage of collecting where we can always tell whether a coin has been messed with or how badly it will affect marketability. I might like a coin at $300 but not at $500 if it has been lightly wiped. I am sure there are other collectors ought there who feel the same way.

I have a 1874 IHC, granted it is not a key date but it is a nice coin to own. I paid $175 for it in an NCS slab. It was there because it had been lightly wiped in the past or so the experts at NCS. A former graded looked at the coin and admitted that he would most likely have graded the coin and not passed on it. Several copper collectors agreed when it was passed around at a major show. Obviously the degree to which it has been messed with and its appeal will vary from coin to coin. At least holdered a more informed decision to purchase and establish a resale value can be guesstimated.

A bad cleanly coin in such a holder and noted as such will at least give peace of mind to some collectors that it is geniune.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the price. I'd buy ANYTHING if the price were right.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file